What Bourbon Are You Drinking? (Summer 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Picked up the new Rebel Yell 100 Proof a couple days ago. It's very good. Surprise of the year for me so far. Tons of Oak with some character and the finish that is missing from the 80 proof. And still less than $20. 

• I like it 1

My previous go to summer bourbon was HHBIB straight from the fridge. But since I'm hoarding that now, the 6yr 90 proof is my fridge bourbon now. Pretty dang tasty.  Probably going to put some MC in the fridge here soon also.

Edited by Phil T
  • I like it 1

24 minutes ago, Phil T said:

My previous go to summer bourbon was HHBIB straight from the fridge. But since I'm hoarding that now, the 6yr 90 proof is my fridge bourbon now. Pretty dang tasty.  Probably going to put some MC in the fridge here soon.

I only have one HH6 BIB left, and no 6 yr 90 proof.  So, as I mentioned in a previous post, Weller SR is my fridge bourbon for now. I say that kinda tongue cheek ‘cause it’s only been in the fridge for a couple of days, and I’ve already put a pretty good dent in it. :P I’m having a pretty healthy pour as I type this, and it’s  freaking’ great.  ^_^

Biba! Joe

Old Ezra 7 BS while I finishing up the last episode of Stranger Things 3. Both excellent!

Sipping on a newly purchased standard Maker’s 46.  I have loved Maker’s 46 since it’s release some years ago, and this bottle is no exception.  And, despite having purchased several and also having  tasted from many other private selection 46s, I still have not had a PS that is as good as the standard to my tastes,  regardless of the stave selection.  Not sure why that is, but it just is.  

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, Phil T said:

My previous go to summer bourbon was HHBIB straight from the fridge. But since I'm hoarding that now, the 6yr 90 proof is my fridge bourbon now. Pretty dang tasty.  Probably going to put some MC in the fridge here soon also.

Just finished a healthy pour of HH 6yr 90 myself. I agree, it’s tasty stuff! Halfway through the handle I brought in Kentucky late last year, so sounds like a good idea to put it in an old “glass” bottle I’m sure I have around  and stick it in the fridge or freezer.

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Sipping on a newly purchased standard Maker’s 46.  I have loved Maker’s 46 since it’s release some years ago, and this bottle is no exception.  And, despite having purchased several and also having  tasted from many other private selection 46s, I still have not had a PS that is as good as the standard to my tastes,  regardless of the stave selection.  Not sure why that is, but it just is.  

It could be you have the same taste preferences as the people at the MM distillery.

Experiment #46 was the one they liked best.  I don't know how many total were tried.

• I like it 1

Buffalo Trace PS tonight.  May start and finish with BT, but who knows.  It is Friday night after all. 

Cheers

3 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I'm curious, have you tried the Maker's 46, Bill's pick?  In theory, should just be Cask Strength 46. 

Cheers

• I like it 1

Astros fan here.  Just finished watching tonight's game against the Rangers.  I already had four pours of WT101.  Thanks to our bullpen, now I'm gonna need a fifth.

• I like it 3

8 hours ago, Phil T said:

7 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I only have one HH6 BIB left, and no 6 yr 90 proof.  So, as I mentioned in a previous post, Weller SR is my fridge bourbon for now. I say that kinda tongue cheek ‘cause it’s only been in the fridge for a couple of days, and I’ve already put a pretty good dent in it. :P I’m having a pretty healthy pour as I type this, and it’s  freaking’ great.  ^_^

Biba! Joe

So y'all like fridge over freezer?  It's a damn hot summer here in Texas, I'm gonna put something in there myself soon.  I recall Jimmy Russell likes his RB in the freezer, no?  I'm trying to decide whether I put something in the fridge side or the freezer side.  I'm open to suggestions from anyone if they are based on actual experience....

On 7/10/2019 at 6:21 PM, JMFH said:

Breaking out the 20 year to celebrate my 20th wedding anniversary.

spacer.png

My God man, I think you're gonna need a bigger glass.  

Congrats

On 7/9/2019 at 4:43 PM, smokinjoe said:

One of my Top 5.  Opened this up after a prolonged stay in the cabinet and the nose just rushed out and blasted me with an onslaught of caramelly candy shop and  rickhouse on a hot Summer day.  Great caramel, brown sugar, and dark fruits.  Huge mouthfeel and thick viscosity.  I betcha HH has the stocks to do another release of this.  If they do, my wallet will get drained.  

1462C302-76C8-4FA2-B27B-BB93CEFB742C.jpeg

Not lucky enough to have a bottle, but tried a sample once.  Really excellent.  

Had a couple of BT products tonight.   OWA is such a great sipper and Stagg Jr. Batch 11 I find quite enjoyable.   Have not had the pleasure of tasting another batch but this is not too hot for me.   Oh yeah happy wife happy life, hence the margarita.

86EC6BAA-916D-4A15-9ADD-8A7E71B7CABC.jpeg

78CB8F19-A6D0-441D-9455-356537377632.jpeg

• I like it 2

10 hours ago, raymoall said:

Just finished a healthy pour of HH 6yr 90 myself. I agree, it’s tasty stuff! Halfway through the handle I brought in Kentucky late last year, so sounds like a good idea to put it in an old “glass” bottle I’m sure I have around  and stick it in the fridge or freezer.

That's exactly what I do.

20190713_085947.jpg

• I like it 3

8 hours ago, Kepler said:

So y'all like fridge over freezer?  It's a damn hot summer here in Texas, I'm gonna put something in there myself soon.  I recall Jimmy Russell likes his RB in the freezer, no?  I'm trying to decide whether I put something in the fridge side or the freezer side.  I'm open to suggestions from anyone if they are based on actual experience....

You’ll have to experiment. I tried HH6BIB in the freezer and didn’t like it as much as from the fridge. 4RYL however is great from the freezer. 

Because you mentioned it, I’m now going to try RB from the freezer. 

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 5:43 PM, smokinjoe said:

One of my Top 5.  Opened this up after a prolonged stay in the cabinet and the nose just rushed out and blasted me with an onslaught of caramelly candy shop and  rickhouse on a hot Summer day.  Great caramel, brown sugar, and dark fruits.  Huge mouthfeel and thick viscosity.  I betcha HH has the stocks to do another release of this.  If they do, my wallet will get drained.  

1462C302-76C8-4FA2-B27B-BB93CEFB742C.jpeg

This thread made me open up a Single Barrel PH , 11 yr  old while cooking out on the grill.    At the top of my list .  Wish I had more.  Amazing.  

• I like it 2

40 minutes ago, troyce said:

This thread made me open up a Single Barrel PH , 11 yr  old while cooking out on the grill.    At the top of my list .  Wish I had more.  Amazing.  

Grillin’ and sippin’ too. Cask strength 4R is sooo good! An OBSQ around 120 proof is the choice of the moment. 

18 hours ago, Kepler said:

Freezer here. I store a few at all times, but will also put just about any bottle in the freezer (along with the glass) when I plan to pour it over a large cube. Avoids that cracking and popping of the ice when you pour. KCSiB in particular is fantastic this way and pours like maple syrup when cold. 

• I like it 2

Solid pour...after drinking ryes last night,  and good ole EWB today, this one is on the sweet side..it's a perfect after dinner dram..

20190713_211225.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.