What Bourbon Are You Drinking? (Summer 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

After putting the open bottle of Virgin 7 y/o into the war chest, I realized I have a little line up of HH with some cats and dogs all open together.  So I half-pour tasted thru the JTS Brown, Medley HC 101, Virgin 7, ECPS 10, and ECBP.  

Pretty sure that Medley HC 101 is HH juice.  Has anyone confirmed this or is it a "secret"?  

Weekend Rum Painkillers to try to beat the heat wave!     

• I like it 1

A nightcap of Weller SR from the fridge. For you Gary..... “Same as it ever was.” ^_^

Biba! Joe

8 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

My pleasure brother. :D  One good turn deserves another. I’m still nursing the remnants of that Loch & Key OWA^_^ 

Biba! Joe

Please let me know when you run out - no need to "nurse" a favorite dram, eh?   ?

Finished a C917 off a few days ago so I opened a C918 in its place, and I’m thoroughly enjoying it now. I wasn’t in the mood for barrel proof so I took it down to around 100 proof. Perfect!

• I like it 3

Man, these new OGD bottles are hard to open.  It's best to only push the cork halfway in, if a second pour is in order.  So, that's what I did.

36 minutes ago, PaulO said:

Man, these new OGD bottles are hard to open.  It's best to only push the cork halfway in, if a second pour is in order.  So, that's what I did.

YUP!  This is why I decant the current OGD BIB cork atrocity into a screw cap OGD BIB I've kept.  At my age, I just hate trying to find pliers to pry the cork out of a bottle.  Makes me feel so weak.

Notice also the other "food group" just off to the right in the picture.

IMG_0564.JPG

• I like it 2

15 hours ago, PaulO said:

14 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

YUP!  This is why I decant the current OGD BIB cork atrocity into a screw cap OGD BIB I've kept.  At my age, I just hate trying to find pliers to pry the cork out of a bottle.  Makes me feel so weak.

Notice also the other "food group" just off to the right in the picture.

IMG_0564.JPG

Y’all ain’t kidding!  The difficulty in removing these artificial corks seems only to have increased in recent purchases that utilize them.  Heck, the ultra tight artificial cork coupled with the low profile topper on Knob Creek bottles which is hardly big enough to get a grip on, hets me to grimace every time I get a hankerin’ to drink some of it...  :D  And, this is the reason that artificial corks reside solidly at the rear in my closure rankings.

Edited by smokinjoe
  • I like it 3

Jetted off to Las Vegas for a couple of days,  and bought a bottle of McKenzie's Bottled in Bond wheated bourbon (from upstate New York) to enjoy in the hotel room.   

Well, my stars! This is superb stuff,  easily the best craft bourbon I have yet had.   Vanilla and caramel shine through,  with smoooooth balance and sophistication. 

I am blown away.  I'll say it, as hard as it may be to believe. -   it beats Weller to a pulp.   I can't believe this is plentiful,  so if you see it,  all I can humbly suggest is grab it.  It is classic wheated bourbon,  and rivals the quality of the Kentucky big boys.  

• I like it 2

Bulleit. I know it doesn’t get much love but at 19.99 it makes a fine “don’t care to think too much about it” sipper.

• I like it 2

Bought the GD BIB on Friday ($35 in Nashville LS). Sampled 3 days in a row. Verdict: great stuff. I prefer it with just a touch of cold spring water to open up flavors. Love the finish. Weird thing is I used to be a Dickel fanboy...but my palette totally went off No. 8 and No. 12, and I can't stand them now. This BIB is a different animal. May grab a couple for the bunker in case Tullahoma decides to do something stupid with price/availability.  The OF Rye is lovely. Bought that 2 weeks ago and just cracked the cap this past week. Drinking neat or again, with a tiny splash of spring water. Great balance and spice. Awesome value. With these 2 babies, my faith in the industry is slowly returning and my cynicism is bring replaced by damn good juice.

20190721_185003.jpg

W12. Only one drink left after this one, and since I do not have a replacement for this bottle in the stash there will be room for a new bottle to be opened. 

48 minutes ago, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

1987 Turkey

831C5D18-67FD-48A3-A55C-F3A2967DCB3A.jpeg

Very nice! .. Like some of the company that bottle is hanging out with as well. ;) 

• I like it 1

After being too busy to have a pour the past week or so, I made up for lost time tonight with a good sized pour of ECBP B519. Since I am still behind on my weekly intake, I went with some Forged Oak for a second helping at dinner. Both were good, but the ECBP was the standout as usual.

• I like it 3

I used to be a regular customer for EW 1783 back in the 1990s.  It was age stated 10 years old back then.  I broadened my horizons when it lost the age statement.

I picked one up today "small batch" no age statement.  So nothing younger than 4, maybe some older.

It's a tasty 86 proof pour.  I think I like it a little more than regular EW black label.

7 hours ago, PaulO said:

I used to be a regular customer for EW 1783 back in the 1990s.  It was age stated 10 years old back then.  I broadened my horizons when it lost the age statement.

I picked one up today "small batch" no age statement.  So nothing younger than 4, maybe some older.

It's a tasty 86 proof pour.  I think I like it a little more than regular EW black label.

I have a coworker that suggests the EW 1783.  He says it does quite well in the tastings he has organized in the past.  I think it is next up on my list of bottles to buy.

Too hot for anything complicated... JB Double Oaked on the rocks tonight. 

I had a pour from a newly opened bottle of OGD 114 last night. Mehhh. :mellow:Did the Grandpa Weller 4 Grain Blend, and it was better. :)  I may try again tonight, depending on how yard work goes. 

Biba! Joe

30 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I had a pour from a newly opened bottle of OGD 114 last night. Mehhh. :mellow:Did the Grandpa Weller 4 Grain Blend, and it was better. :)  I may try again tonight, depending on how yard work goes. 

Biba! Joe

Could not agree more.  The blend is soooo much better then the parts and while I can enjoy the WSR on its own the 114 does not suit my palate at all. 

• I like it 1

On 7/21/2019 at 9:15 AM, smokinjoe said:

Y’all ain’t kidding!  The difficulty in removing these artificial corks seems only to have increased in recent purchases that utilize them.  Heck, the ultra tight artificial cork coupled with the low profile topper on Knob Creek bottles which is hardly big enough to get a grip on, hets me to grimace every time I get a hankerin’ to drink some of it...  :D  And, this is the reason that artificial corks reside solidly at the rear in my closure rankings.

I honestly think these corks are the wrong size for the bottles.

I will delve into my cork collection to find one that fits properly, and advise Beam Suntory.

I decided that the WSR I bought last week shouldn't gather any dust or moss so I eased out a healthy pour this afternoon.  It hit my taste buds as a solid tipple, not too complex but a good value whiskey that's worth having a spare downstairs for days when I can't get to the LS. I think I have to agree with other posts that suggested single barrel editions would be worth the extra change out of my pocket. That probably won't happen before BT gets all those new and planned rack houses filled and the barrels properly aged but it's an idea.

Edited by Postal Grunt

13 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

What proportions of each do you use?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.