What Bourbon Are You Drinking? (Summer 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

6 hours ago, Postal Grunt said:

I decided that the WSR I bought last week shouldn't gather any dust or moss so I eased out a healthy pour this afternoon.  It hit my taste buds as a solid tipple, not too complex but a good value whiskey that's worth having a spare downstairs for days when I can't get to the LS. I think I have to agree with other posts that suggested single barrel editions would be worth the extra change out of my pocket. That probably won't happen before BT gets all those new and planned rack houses filled and the barrels properly aged but it's an idea.

TW in STL had a barrel of WSR back in April. I believe bottles were around $18. I didnt get to try it, though. That was the first time I'd seen PS WSR

48 minutes ago, Rick M. said:

What proportions of each do you use?

Didn’t actually measure, but it was approximately 50-50.  

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

Capped of a short but exhausting and extremely hot vacation. Did 2 parks with the kids and the Drew Estate Cigars PA Barnsmoker where it was almost too hot to drink, almost.
IMG_3074.jpg
IMG_3075.jpg
MB Roland was at the cigar event. Had their reg bourbon as well as a brandy barrel finished bourbon. The brandy barrel was a little too sweet for me normally but on the rocks and as hot as it was i enjoyed.

• I like it 1

Opened the bottle of OF Single Barrel that I purchased yesterday.  When I started on my bourbon journey I really didn't give OF much of a look.  I'll admit that I was wrong the SB that I picked up yesterday is VERY good.  Vanilla and caramel up front with just a hint of spice on the back end.  This and the 1875, 1897, 1910 & 1920 are all good.  

• I like it 3

TW in STL had a barrel of WSR back in April. I believe bottles were around $18. I didnt get to try it, though. That was the first time I'd seen PS WSR

I think I still have a WSR PS that I picked up locally 2 or 3 years ago, so they are more common than you may think, but I believe they are sometimes the consolation prize when a store is denied an OWA PS barrel.

Decided to open and have a pour of W.B. Saffell.  First impressions are positive, but I think it needs a bit of airtime.  The true test will be if and when I try to pull off a blind SBS of Saffell, RR 2002, RRSiB, and WTKS.  But if you like WT, and come across W.B. Saffell for $40-$50 for a .375, it is legit and definitely worth a try IMHO.

DB608A73-B792-42C6-B006-67324C6A8E4D.jpeg

• I like it 1

Last night, I had a pour of a ps WTKS. This evening, it’s a pour or three of my 2018 Weller Blend. :P

BIBA! Joe

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, jeffrey r said:

Decided to open and have a pour of W.B. Saffell.  First impressions are positive, but I think it needs a bit of airtime.  The true test will be if and when I try to pull off a blind SBS of Saffell, RR 2002, RRSiB, and WTKS.  But if you like WT, and come across W.B. Saffell for $40-$50 for a .375, it is legit and definitely worth a try IMHO.

DB608A73-B792-42C6-B006-67324C6A8E4D.jpeg

I look forward to hearing about this SBS.  I did the Saffell vs the Rare Breed three times, the last two blind and Saffell stood out and was better across the board.  I keep buying an additional bottle every few weeks when my other purchases are light that week.

11 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Didn’t actually measure, but it was approximately 50-50.  

Biba! Joe

After a long, hot weekend, it's time to reload the Grandpa Weller's 4 Grain Blend.  

20190723_084331_005.jpg

According to the dampened label (from going in and out of the fridge!), the recipe is 3xWSR:2xOGD114.  Me likee a lot!   ?

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 4

Drilling holes in drywall to run speaker cable for my basement theater. This is a nice blue collar pour to take the edge off when I get annoyed at my lack of ability to fish wire around ceiling joists, an I-beam, and studs. 

20190723_185421.jpg

• I like it 2

While watching the Apollo stuff on PBS last night, had a couple of pours. Decided to keep it in the BT family so it was ER followed by some CEHT BP.

• I like it 1

Ahhh, mission accomplished!  That's better - back in the fridge she goes.  Meld well my little pretty.   ?

20190724_165004_003.jpg

• I like it 5

1 hour ago, skidfive said:

Thoroughly enjoyed

20190724_140918.jpg

I'm an oak lover but this one seemed over oaked to me. I wasn't a big fan.  I thought it lacked some overall roundness of the younger versions.

while still showing a bit of its youth at 5 years, the potential here should definitely be noted.   This is pretty good. 

D979DDC2-80E7-4CE3-ABEC-EB7E5CAE33DE.jpeg

2 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Ahhh, mission accomplished!  That's better - back in the fridge she goes.  Meld well my little pretty 

I mixed up a batch yesterday, now letting it meld. Will inform the results in a day or 2. Many thanks to  GeeTen and fishnbowljoe for the inspiration! 2:1 ratio WSR to OGD114. The tattered label VOB BIB is holding the blend. I figured the screw top would last forever....

20190724_175857.jpg

Had some baby Saz then cracked this last night. Only my second go with this.
Last one was about a year ago. Even with the new price increase I have to say it’s a great pour, or at least this barrel, at MSRP.
IMG_3080.jpg

• I like it 3

HH BIB at a local restaurant.  They don't show it on the bourbon list anymore so most people don't even know they still have it.  I just smile and order.

• I like it 3

On my way back home from a business trip to SE Asia,  so I am ending it on my Delta flight with some Woodford.  The only bourbon I could find in SE Asia was Jim Beam White Label so this is a nice change.

12227999-EABE-4469-AC71-527F3DEF670B.jpeg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.