What Bourbon Are You Drinking? (Summer 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

New Riff SB.  Pup and I have the house to ourselves for the evening.  He's sleeping on the floor.  New Riff is deserving of the accolades.  Need to find a bottle of the rye.  Probably best I don't have the rye, or I'd be joining the pup on the floor  this Wednesday evening!

• I like it 4

On business. Long day of travel from coast to coast plus a couple hours working after. Had a BT and baby Saz with dinner. Picked up a 375 of WT101 to have for the hotel. Home work to decide if I want to pick up a WTRB that’s on sale here. Why have I not talked to the Turkey way sooner than this. I’ve had RRSmb but that was a couple years ago before I really went over the bourbon cliff. This stuff is great so yes please to a bottle of RB flying back with me at $35.
IMG_3162.jpg

• I like it 6

Had a nice pour of EW 1783 last night.  It is quite sweet.  Rather tasty for a cheap bottle.  I enjoyed it!

• I like it 2

27 minutes ago, macdad said:

Had a nice pour of EW 1783 last night.  It is quite sweet.  Rather tasty for a cheap bottle.  I enjoyed it!

I can't agree more.   :)

IMO, 1783 is an underrated option from the bottom (or near-bottom) shelf.   ;)  

It does have a sweeter profile than most Bourbons to my taste buddies; but, when that's what I want, it always satisfies.   I always have one open, and one backed up.  :P

• I like it 2

Spent the bulk of the evening at a cookout with friends while sipping on 2 Busch Lights. I was excited to get home to open this, and as always, it's fantastic. 

20190823_214841.jpg

• I like it 7

More 101 at the hotel. This 375 is going fast and won’t last through tomorrow night.
IMG_3170.jpg

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, marshall9779 said:

More 101 at the hotel. This 375 is going fast and won’t last through tomorrow night.
IMG_3170.jpg

Been there brother.    Enjoy

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, JCwhammie said:

Spent the bulk of the evening at a cookout with friends while sipping on 2 Busch Lights. I was excited to get home to open this, and as always, it's fantastic. 

Not just Busch, but Busch Light?  Oh my, that's a long way from Rare Breed huh.

• I like it 1

Trying my 2016 & 2018 OFBB side by side

I liked the 2018 better because it's more viscous and has a sweet but long finish. The 2016 is all sweet and thin. Short finish.

Both are GREAT bottles and I'm glad I have them at hand.

Cheers! ?

462FD672-A1E9-4334-809B-D0CF20450EC0.jpeg

• I like it 2

Went easy last night with a mingle of Bakers/JB Distiller's Cut (50/50; thanks @Kepler for the suggestion!)  Pretty damned tasty.  Need to setup a blind SBS with that and Baker's.  The extra chewiness that NCF DC brings might have me enjoying this more than Baker's.  If it is really close, may experiment with some different ratios.  Stretching Baker's out with something half the price is a pretty good incentive ;) 

• I like it 2

7 hours ago, Kepler said:

Not just Busch, but Busch Light?  Oh my, that's a long way from Rare Breed huh.

Last week we went to a pool party. When in the grocer I was looking for Oskar Blues Mamas Little Yella Pils or Firestone Walker Pivo Pils. They didnt have either of those, but they did have 12 packs of Busch Bavarian Light for $7.99, so the decision was made. 

You are indeed correct, it's a deviation from WTRB

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, GaryT said:

Went easy last night with a mingle of Bakers/JB Distiller's Cut (50/50; thanks @Kepler for the suggestion!)  Pretty damned tasty.  Need to setup a blind SBS with that and Baker's.  The extra chewiness that NCF DC brings might have me enjoying this more than Baker's.  If it is really close, may experiment with some different ratios.  Stretching Baker's out with something half the price is a pretty good incentive ;) 

Glad you like it.  I think it's a winner and just goes to show what NCF brings to the table.  

• I like it 1

Football season boys! Getting the season kicking with the BIB’s. My squad boots off next weekend.. Roll Tide! Meanwhile it’s the 100 proofers awaiting the Gators and Canes... :) 

59286B62-BAB9-4ABC-9D74-3332A7254087.jpeg

• I like it 1

29 minutes ago, jwperry said:

Not sure how I feel about my first Old Forester bottle. IMG_20190824_174728208.jpg

Have you tried their Whiskey Row series offerings? The BIB and the 1920 Prohibition are superb IMO. 

• I like it 1

Picked up a bottle of WTRB today.  I had a pour this evening.  I drank it neat, but I may put some ice in it next time.  I am definitely not used to Proof this high.  Pretty good overall.  I am glad I bought a bottle.

46 minutes ago, jwperry said:

Not sure how I feel about my first Old Forester bottle. IMG_20190824_174728208.jpg

As Hollywood just said, be sure to try the Whiskey Row offerings.  I'm not really an OF Signature or equivalent fan and find the lower proofers lacking compared to, say EWB (@ 86 proof), BUT!  I bunker the 1897 whenever I see it on sale, and, of course, the OF Birthdays (if I ever see them) are mandatory pick-ups.  The newish OF rye is also a steal IMO.

ON THREAD - Tonight, I am continuing my end-of-Summer "add ice/nothing neat" with 2OZ plus two cubes of whatever I grab.  ETL down to about 65-70 proof smells and tastes like some fruit bomb.  EC NAS down to 65-70 is as sweet as cold, neat VOB 100 but doesn't make me fall asleep while tending the meatloaf on the grill (indirect w/lid closed for about 50 minutes or to 160F, whichever comes first).  (And don't forget the hickory chunks.)  (For the meatloaf, not the bourbons.)

• I like it 1

On 8/21/2019 at 10:46 PM, El Vino said:

New Riff SB.  Pup and I have the house to ourselves for the evening.  He's sleeping on the floor.  New Riff is deserving of the accolades.  Need to find a bottle of the rye.  Probably best I don't have the rye, or I'd be joining the pup on the floor  this Wednesday evening!

Drinking some rye now.

When you find it, I think that you will like it.

20190825_002258.jpg

• I like it 1

Relaxing after an amazing but brutal hike up Scotchman’s Peak today. Guess what more 101.
IMG_3199.jpg
IMG_3186.jpg
IMG_3189.jpg

• I like it 22

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.