What Bourbon Are You Drinking? (Summer 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, Phil T said:

Dang Steve, Adam and I were an eyelash away from pulling off a last minute trip to this concert. A job change inconvenience for him kept us from pulling the trigger. We are there next time. We'll see you there!

Ohhhhhh, that would have been stellar to see you there. Next time indeed.

WT101 here. I’ve been on a Turkey Tear lately polishing off some Saffell, WTKS Store Pick, and now working on some of my stash of 101. 

Joining others in celebrating Jimmy Russell’s 65 years at Wild Turkey. 

Rare Breed to start. 

Some RR Single Barrel cued up for the finale. 

A friend and former coworker who relocated to San Francisco recently was back in town last night. A couple of us went out for dinner and drinks with him to his favorite local. I got to try a few things that I hadn’t in the past.

Boone County 12 yr - fine but nothing special and very overrated
EHT Amaranth - Nice cherry forward whiskey but nothing I would sell a kidney over
HH 27 Yr - very nice, surprisingly not over oaked or showing its age in any negative way. Very lovely but I still wouldn’t go nuts tracking one down.

A friend and former coworker who relocated to San Francisco recently was back in town last night. A couple of us went out for dinner and drinks with him to his favorite local. I got to try a few things that I hadn’t in the past.

Boone County 12 yr - fine but nothing special and very overrated
EHT Amaranth - Nice cherry forward whiskey but nothing I would sell a kidney over
HH 27 Yr - very nice, surprisingly not over oaked or showing its age in any negative way. Very lovely but I still wouldn’t go nuts tracking one down.

Sounds like a very enjoyable evening with a very hefty bar tab!
  • I like it 3

Purchased, opened, and am drinking. This surprisingly is my first bottle of this stuff...first impressions are good! It probably helps that the Mets are up big in the 7th.

IMG_2003.jpg

• I like it 8

A little BT while cooking dinner last night followed by some A119 with the Nats game on and a book later.
IMG_3309.JPG
IMG_3310.JPG

Mowing is complete, so I have rewarded myself with a pour of WT101 (on a cube) out of the tail decanter.  I may follow it up with WTRB or RRSiB.

Cooking chicken thighs (with a kiss of peach smoke for you Georgians) to go with some waffles. Nice start to the weekend. 

20190913_182510.jpg

20190913_182652.jpg

• I like it 3

8 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

Mowing is complete, so I have rewarded myself with a pour of WT101 (on a cube) out of the tail decanter.  I may follow it up with WTRB or RRSiB.

Cooking chicken thighs (with a kiss of peach smoke for you Georgians) to go with some waffles. Nice start to the weekend. 

20190913_182510.jpg

20190913_182652.jpg

Also enjoying some WT 101 chilled after finishing some yard work.  Don’t let the bottle fool you.  I transfer some into 50ml bottles so I can enjoy a cold pour without committing to the whole bottle going in the freezer.

p.s.  When’s dinner??

5C11405D-15D9-4080-8322-4EF34C5F9484.jpeg

I got run inside by a very welcome pop-up thunderstorm with a good amount of rain. Thank you, Jesus!  :)  Ain’t seen a drop in weeks.  My water bill has been through the roof trying to keep the plants from keeling over.  

So, dived into the garage and went to one of my faves to celebrate the event.  An Old Fitz 1849 10 yr.  Massive Stitzel-Weller caramel goodness in this circa 1961 distilled, 1971 bottled beauty, just in time for the rain to fade off.  :( Regardless, from nose to finish, it’s simply gorgeous whiskey.  Thick doesn’t go far enough in describing the mouthfeel.  

Hey, it’s raining again!  Go Pappy!  :D

DABAB9AE-DD76-49CD-807A-37845236BDDB.jpeg

• I like it 16

55 minutes ago, KSJon said:

Also enjoying some WT 101 chilled after finishing some yard work.  Don’t let the bottle fool you.  I transfer some into 50ml bottles so I can enjoy a cold pour without committing to the whole bottle going in the freezer.

p.s.  When’s dinner??

5C11405D-15D9-4080-8322-4EF34C5F9484.jpeg

I like that idea of using mini bottles in the freezer.

Dinner was fantastic! 

On 9/10/2019 at 8:14 PM, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

A9A5D8EF-1266-4C9D-B3FB-EE6F75E1474C.jpeg

I haven't opened mine yet. Should I?  BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Nats losing to Braves 3-0 in the Fifth.  I'm still working on my basic BT I opened last week.  No point in getting TOO depressed over what we all knew would happen.

• I like it 1

I haven't opened mine yet. Should I?  BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Nats losing to Braves 3-0 in the Fifth.  I'm still working on my basic BT I opened last week.  No point in getting TOO depressed over what we all knew would happen.

I feel your pain man. Shame they can’t ever get it done when it counts against the braves.

18 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

I like that idea of using mini bottles in the freezer.

Dinner was fantastic! 

Wife started doing minis in the freezer with various Absoluts years ago, and I followed with gins.  Hence, our ice maker tray is about 1/2 50ml bottles of various "flavors".  Bourbons, however, are stuck in the fridge.  Did I mention that I bought a small beer fridge a few years ago ($99 at Costco) and stuck it in the basement?  Did I mention there's room in there for anything BUT beer now?  White wines, rose wines, and some food. And bourbon.  Tonight I'm still drinking basic BT (and still the first pour tonight) but NOT  watching baseball.  Hallmark Movies and Mysteries has an Aurora Teagarden episode I don't THINK I've seen.  AFter a second BT, I could watch it next week and STILL not know who dunnit.  Yet another positive in the bourbon column - selective forgetfulness.:blink:

2 minutes ago, marshall9779 said:

I feel your pain man. Shame they can’t ever get it done when it counts against the braves.

Well, Aurora is on the TV, but I have the Nats-Braves on the PC in an other tab.  This flipping back and forth is getting Really confusing.  Did Aurora get to second or not????  And, WHO IS wearing the wedding dress?

I got run inside by a very welcome pop-up thunderstorm with a good amount of rain. Thank you, Jesus!  [emoji4]  Ain’t seen a drop in weeks.  My water bill has been through the roof trying to keep the plants from keeling over.  

So, dived into the garage and went to one of my faves to celebrate the event.  An Old Fitz 1849 10 yr.  Massive Stitzel-Weller caramel goodness in this circa 1961 distilled, 1971 bottled beauty, just in time for the rain to fade off.  [emoji20] Regardless, from nose to finish, it’s simply gorgeous whiskey.  Thick doesn’t go far enough in describing the mouthfeel.  
Hey, it’s raining again!  Go Pappy!  [emoji3]

DABAB9AE-DD76-49CD-807A-37845236BDDB.thumb.jpeg.1ca2d052347aa3a9fb0dc6b6641a0a42.jpeg

Wow nothing to see here just some 10yr Old SW distilled nearly 60 years ago.

This is incredible and needs more love.

In other much less interesting news Larceny needs more love. It’s not quite as nice as W12 but considering you don’t need to hunt for it and it’s like $30 while people seem to happy at least twice as much for W12 and more is just crazy.

IMG_8066.jpg

I really like it and not sure why I avoided it for so long.
  • I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.