What Bourbon Are You Drinking? (Summer 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Finished off this OWA since I have a backup to make room for opening a newly acquired OF Rye.
IMG_3119.jpg

• I like it 2

Not currently drinking, but to be drunk soon and I did not want to start a new thread.  Driving to a family wedding this weekend and the father of the bride is a bourbon guy.  Not entirely sure what his level of bourbonerdery is so I just brought a ton of samples.  Some of them I have not yet even tried!  Final list below.  Also, have a Peerless Rye sample, but do not know specs on.  Looking forward to it and fingers crossed that he is an aficionado!

Elmer T. Lee - 90pf

Michter's Toasted - 91.4pf

Bulleit 12 year Rye - 92pf

Michter's 10 year Rye - 92.8pf

EC 12 year back label - 94pf

GW4G - 94.8pf

SAOS - 13 year Dickel - 96.2pf

Kentucky Owl Confiscated - 96.4pf

GW4G - 97.2pf

Wilderness Trail SiB - 100pf

GW4G - 100.03pf

Four Roses Small Batch Select - 104pf

2017 Pappy 15 - 107pf

Wild Turkey Cornerstone - 109pf

Willett 4 year Rye - 109.8pf

Makers Mark PS - 109.9pf

Parker's Heritage Orange Curacao - 110pf

Russels Reserve One and A Century Rarebird Pick - 110pf

Wilderness Trail - BP Rye - 114pf

Blaum Bros 10 year - 114.1pf

Little Book Ch. 2 - 118.8pf

ECBP - B519 - 122.2pf

Willett 6yr Bourbon - 122.6pf

Elijah Craig Grenade - 125pf

Barel Aged Vanilla Infused Manhattan - Made with OF Rye

IMG_1775.jpg

• I like it 13

23 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

JTS Brown BIB in the glass as I comment here. It looks like I’m probably gonna be sticking with my BIB’s for a while. It appears that I’ve lost my Weller mojo. ?  Vosgar invited me and Galvin0791 over to his house yesterday for food, fun, cigars and bourbon. While we enjoyed several very nice bourbons, first and foremost on the agenda was a blind SBSBS of Weller 12’s. There was a new bottle of Weller 12 along with a couple of fairly well known private selections from 2007 and 2009. I thought I had a pretty good handle on all three, but in the end, I didn’t even get  one right. No longer am I a Weller whore. I reckon I’m just a regular ol’ bourbon bitch until further notice. ?

Basic storyline stuff here, Joe.

Every superhero has their catharsis moment of self-doubt. 

...it's usually right before they save the day.

• I like it 1

The palate is in fine form 2nite:

1st = SS EC 12yr

2nd = ER (but this one coulda' won on any other night) - gonna miss this bottle

3rd = BT (still not bad)

EC wins a 2nd pour yaaaa!!!

• I like it 1

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 4:54 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

JTS Brown BIB in the glass as I comment here. It looks like I’m probably gonna be sticking with my BIB’s for a while. It appears that I’ve lost my Weller mojo. ?  Vosgar invited me and Galvin0791 over to his house yesterday for food, fun, cigars and bourbon. While we enjoyed several very nice bourbons, first and foremost on the agenda was a blind SBSBS of Weller 12’s. There was a new bottle of Weller 12 along with a couple of fairly well known private selections from 2007 and 2009. I thought I had a pretty good handle on all three, but in the end, I didn’t even get  one right. No longer am I a Weller whore. I reckon I’m just a regular ol’ bourbon bitch until further notice. ?

Biba! Joe

I think I spotted the North Star; due south last night!!!

Steaks & seafood are over-rated; going vegan!!!

Been married 35+ years... Kicked her ass out!!!

Bourbon aged over 2 years is crap!!!

I’m having a nice pour of Weller 12 this evening. ?

Ya’ gotta have fun.  Yeah, I may not have fared so well in a Weller 12 SBSBS, but what the hey?  Once a Weller whore, always a Weller whore. ;)  I apologize if I worried any of y’all by poking a little fun at myself. :mellow:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 6

Found a Weller 12 one time up here in the ADK, so now I look for it every time I'm up here.  Intermittent reinforcement at it's finest!

I brought an OWA-PS and OE7BP to the cabin so I'm sure they will be in the empty bottle thread by the weekend. 

This OWA has been half full and is opened up nicely.  Lovely powdery floral notes I love in the good wellers.  Lovely bottle at $30 but a pass at $50, for me. 

• I like it 1

53 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Ya’ gotta have fun.  Yeah, I may not have fared so well in a Weller 12 SBSBS, but what the hey?  Once a Weller whore, always a Weller whore. ;)  I apologize if I worried any of y’all by poking a little fun at myself. :mellow:

Biba! Joe

You had us worried, Joe. I'm happy it took you less than 24 hours to get back to being the resident Weller Whore! 

• I like it 2

RR10 with a work dinner. About that dinner... 70 oz. of dry aged ribeye hit the spot.

23585111_IMG_20190813_1952442.thumb.jpg.a90d46894306f08cc489ece668baa088.jpg

• I like it 8

Had a 2-2.25 oz pour of EW 1783 last night.  Not bad for under $20.  Wife says this one stinks like ER10!  That's OK, cause she isn't drinking it! :D

11 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

Had me worried.  I am the Weller Slut, as Joe well knows, and was steeling myself to move up a rung on the ladder to full blown whoredom.  WHEW!  Crisis averted.

• I like it 3

13 hours ago, dad-proof said:

RR10 with a work dinner. About that dinner... 70 oz. of dry aged ribeye hit the spot.

That looks amazing! Did you age it yourself?  For how long?  My last aging project was a 7 ribber that I aged for 7 weeks.  So buttery...

• I like it 1

40 minutes ago, fosmith said:

That looks amazing! Did you age it yourself?  For how long?  My last aging project was a 7 ribber that I aged for 7 weeks.  So buttery...

This was about 35-40 days, but no I don't have the equipment for home-aging. This was a celebratory dinner out with a couple of co-workers. It was well aged, with nuttiness but not much funk.

• I like it 1

Crisis averted!  New batch of Grandpa Weller's 4 Grain conjured up just in time for Whiskey Wednesday . . . . . . . . . . . .   ?

20190814_091502.jpg

• I like it 5

Woodford Double Oak...Not a fan. It is a NC ABC Single Barrel Pick and I think they may use those to get rid of barrels they can't use anywhere else. Should I try the standard release?

Woodford Double Oak...Not a fan. It is a NC ABC Single Barrel Pick and I think they may use those to get rid of barrels they can't use anywhere else. Should I try the standard release?

I’ve usually found that the Woodford Double Oak Private Selections are far superior to the standard releases. So, if you’re not liking this particular single barrel pick, either the pickers didn’t know what they were doing or you just don’t like the double oak taste profile.
  • I like it 1

Doing a Turkey/Dickel Duo tonight.. WTRB speaks for itself.. I’m not in the Dickel camp, but I’m REALLY enjoying this GDBIB.. I bought 2 bottles a short time back and it’s checking alot of boxes right now.. 

The past half week or so I've been finishing a  bottle of a PS ER10 from a local Total Wine. It's from 4 years ago or so and it's been fantastic. It reminds me of how good BT distillate can be.

It's a flavor I find lacking in most of their current on the shelf products. It's still attainable in good single barrel PS bottle such as the BT pick my local did last year.

I hope @The Black Tot is correct and that a boatload of quality distillate is about ready to come of age.

As a contrast, I'm following with some Bulleit Barrel Strength from two years ago and it's not as good as the ER10.

• I like it 3

After a decent day at work, I’m having a couple of pours of Weller SR. At least I think it’s Weller SR:lol:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

18 hours ago, flahute said:

The past half week or so I've been finishing a  bottle of a PS ER10 from a local Total Wine. It's from 4 years ago or so and it's been fantastic. It reminds me of how good BT distillate can be.

I opened a PS ER10 from Everett's Liquors back in 2010 a couple of nights ago. It too is fantastic, loads of cherries in this bottle . Definitely one I should have bought a few more of.

Enjoying an '09 W12 PS from Binny's tonight. This is a stellar bottle as well! :) 

• I like it 2

Dropped my “little” girl off at college for her freshman year. Officially an empty nester I guess. ORVW it is then.
IMG_3208.jpg

• I like it 10

3 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

After a decent day at work, I’m having a couple of pours of Weller SR. At least I think it’s Weller SR:lol:

Biba! Joe

Always a nice summer evening's pour.  Tasty, yet not over powering.  I can only assume it is not in the same league as your blend.  But, if you have the blend every night, all else might pale in comparison so the blend must be imbibed wisely.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.