What Bourbon Are You Drinking? (Summer 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

29 minutes ago, marshall9779 said:

Relaxing after an amazing but brutal hike up Scotchman’s Peak today. Guess what more 101.
IMG_3199.jpg
IMG_3186.jpg
IMG_3189.jpg

Wow

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, marshall9779 said:

Relaxing after an amazing but brutal hike up Scotchman’s Peak today. Guess what more 101.
IMG_3199.jpg
IMG_3186.jpg
IMG_3189.jpg

I bet the climb was a little easier for that Billy, than you ?

Well done and a pour of WT101 very well earned. 

Cheers

• I like it 2

7 hours ago, marshall9779 said:

IMG_3199.jpg
IMG_3186.jpg
IMG_3189.jpg

From these pix, I'd say it was worth the effort!  :o GREAT views, and I especially love that Billy Goat in the foreground.    ? I assume he wasn't actually as close as this shot makes him appear....?

Good choice for the celebration/recovery pour, too!  ?

• I like it 1

Dinner at Ditto's Grill in Louisville last night.  Yes, I think a pour of Blanton's before dinner would suit me just fine, thank you.

• I like it 1

16 hours ago, jwperry said:

Not sure how I feel about my first Old Forester bottle. IMG_20190824_174728208.jpg

JWP, I was thinking further on this and maybe the most obvious should have come to mind initially.. Being a SiB, by chance this particular barrel may not have been the best expression and/or not for your palates liking.. I’ll echo Harry’s seconding again that IMO the Whiskey Row is a must try. ;) 

• I like it 1

From these pix, I'd say it was worth the effort!  [emoji33] GREAT views, and I especially love that Billy Goat in the foreground.    [emoji238] I assume he wasn't actually as close as this shot makes him appear....?
Good choice for the celebration/recovery pour, too!  [emoji39]

He was maybe 20 feet away. Isn’t much room on the peak. Hard to stay 100 feet away if one is up there and you’re not going to not go to the top cuz a goat is there after that hike.

Had a great weekend. Did Rum drinks all weekend but finishing up with some Willet Pot Still.  Hope everyone has a good week heading into Labor Day. 

AD9B42AF-5B0B-4C41-9C69-C2827F66F99F.jpeg

[mention=159]hollywood[/mention][mention=990] harry in WashDc[/mention]

I'll give those other ones a "shot" down the road. I need to do more tasting out and about, I'm running out of space and money buying bottles.

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, hollywood said:

JWP, I was thinking further on this and maybe the most obvious should have come to mind initially.. Being a SiB, by chance this particular barrel may not have been the best expression and/or not for your palates liking.. I’ll echo Harry’s seconding again that IMO the Whiskey Row is a must try. ;) 

7 minutes ago, jwperry said:

[mention=159]hollywood[/mention][mention=990] harry in WashDc[/mention]

I'll give those other ones a "shot" down the road. I need to do more tasting out and about, I'm running out of space and money buying bottles.

Yeah In my opinion the best OF bourbon expression to try as a first introduction is not a single barrel but rather a regular batched product. My first recommendation is the 1897 BiB from the whiskey row series. It's typical OF and will be a good test to decide what  you think of OF.  My next picks would be either the 1870 (if you prefer less than 100 proof) or if you want to spend less, the basic 100 proof budget expression (it goes by different  names  depending  on what year it was bottled, "Signature" or "100 proof" or something like that) but that one can be inconsistent  in my experience. 

But I also think that Old Forester's best all around  product  today is their basic  100 proof rye. That stuff is fantastic at $20 and blows away most  anything  twice  it's price.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, marshall9779 said:

He was maybe 20 feet away. Isn’t much room on the peak. Hard to stay 100 feet away if one is up there and you’re not going to not go to the top cuz a goat is there after that hike.

WOW!!!     That's damned close!    Most folx that ever see one live, see it from hundreds of yards farther than that!    The closest I ever came to one that I saw was maybe 250-yards... and I thought that was CLOSE!

Great Pic!    ...In fact all the shots you posted are lovely.

WOW!!!     That's damned close!    Most folx that ever see one live, see it from hundreds of yards farther than that!    The closest I ever came to one that I saw was maybe 250-yards... and I thought that was CLOSE!
Great Pic!    ...In fact all the shots you posted are lovely.

I think this is actually one of the selling points of this particular peak.

38 minutes ago, jwperry said:

I'm running out of space and money buying bottles.

Nahhhhh. No way that could happen.  ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

Are you in the mining industry?

Multiple Fantasy Football drafts today, so plenty of bourbon was poured and consumed. Started the day with some VW Lot B for the first draft. Then moved to some FRSB OBSQ while spending some time with the family. Finally it was some GTS '18 to kickoff the SB Fantasy Football Draft. Too bad it is back to work tomorrow.

• I like it 3

On 8/25/2019 at 12:28 AM, Skinsfan1311 said:

Drinking some rye now.

When you find it, I think that you will like it.

20190825_002258.jpg

Thanks!  I have been holding out for a single barrel cask strength rye like the one you have.  One of my locals has the standard release rye.

• I like it 2

Tonight began with an "outa da fridge" SS KC120 & mint stick. Not so good!

Next was an "outa da fridge" SS EC with an orange stick. Not bad!

And lastly, another EC with a caramel stick. Good, but a bit sweet!

Context:

My Wife found straws of honey mixed with various ingredients from a local beekeeper; I think to be a pretty cool idea. Obviously they go with coffee, tea or BOURBON!!!

Of course, she said they were labeled, but she mixed them up, soooooooo...

20190826_182142.thumb.jpg.af8c5923c9322f380c0c70a48a5bd804.jpg

20190826_182740.thumb.jpg.fd451433c4f0eb61e692cb6198894b92.jpg

• I like it 1

9 minutes ago, bayouredd said:

Tonight began with an "outa da fridge" SS KC120 & mint stick. Not so good!

Next was an "outa da fridge" SS EC with an orange stick. Not bad!

And lastly, another EC with a caramel stick. Good, but a bit sweet!

Context:

My Wife found straws of honey mixed with various ingredients from a local beekeeper; I think to be a pretty cool idea. Obviously they go with coffee, tea or BOURBON!!!

Of course, she said they were labeled, but she mixed them up, soooooooo...

20190826_182142.thumb.jpg.af8c5923c9322f380c0c70a48a5bd804.jpg

20190826_182740.thumb.jpg.fd451433c4f0eb61e692cb6198894b92.jpg

I like the concept of those honey sticks, but I find the flavors to come across very artificial.  At the end of the day, I would much rather have straight honey.  My mom has a few hives, so I am fortunate to always have an ample supply!

Tonight, I am drinking a 2 oz. pour of ER10.  It is growing on me.  Pretty good overall.  I think I may be getting more accustomed to the oak flavor in bourbon.

• I like it 2

On 8/24/2019 at 11:48 PM, marshall9779 said:

IMG_3199.jpg
IMG_3186.jpg
IMG_3189.jpg

Actually the walk down is the toughest part huh?  A real toe buster.   Great pics.  I lived nearby for many years.

• I like it 2

Revisited Legent tonight. Still not crazy about it but the fruits and nuts thing with some wine is unique.

RR 10 yr. followed by some Calumet Farms Single Rack Black.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.