What bourbon did you pass on, Summer 2019?

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Tell us about that overpriced WSR or ETL you passed on today.

• I like it 1

Didn’t see any WSR OR ETL, today.  

Not ETL or WSR, but I saw this one last month when I was in Scottsdale.  At first glance, I thought maybe it was the Four Grain or something else special, but nope, just the regular Small Batch.  Hey, at least you get a discount if you buy 6 of them!

(Sorry I'm late in posting this, in case any of you had wanted to run over and pick one up!)

20190527_205110.jpg

15 minutes ago, bgellco said:

Not ETL or WSR, but I saw this one last month when I was in Scottsdale.  At first glance, I thought maybe it was the Four Grain or something else special, but nope, just the regular Small Batch.  Hey, at least you get a discount if you buy 6 of them!

(Sorry I'm late in posting this, in case any of you had wanted to run over and pick one up!)

20190527_205110.jpg

That's got to be an error entering the product code into the system.  Those are Safeway/Von's price tags and I don't think a nationwide grocery chain would play those games.  They sell Blanton's for around $60 in my local Safeway.  It doesn't last long, tho...

13 minutes ago, fosmith said:

That's got to be an error entering the product code into the system.  Those are Safeway/Von's price tags and I don't think a nationwide grocery chain would play those games.  They sell Blanton's for around $60 in my local Safeway.  It doesn't last long, tho...

Yeah, everything else there seemed reasonably priced.  This was in the glass case, however, so someone had to consciously put it there!

12 minutes ago, bgellco said:

Yeah, everything else there seemed reasonably priced.  This was in the glass case, however, so someone had to consciously put it there!

But the clerks that stock the shelves in these stores don't know bourbon from Beaujolais.  But that's good too because then they don't try to push you into buying slow moving bottles or their own brands.  I'm looking at you, Total Wine... 

• I like it 2

It was a close decision, but I just had to say no. Granted the manager was not sure what the price would be, but he guessed in the $400-$500 range. Was a guess though. 

93154B0A-9997-4AB9-A75A-F70023E81E56.jpeg

Does passing up a pour at a tavern count? This evening Mrs PG and I stopped in at Harry's Tavern in S. KC, MO after shopping at the liquor store next door. Up on a shelf was a bottle of RVW10 so I had to be a smartass and ask for the price. The bartender had yet to serve any from the bottle so he ambled over to the computerized register to find out. $28 for a 1 ounce pour. Yikes, that was as bad as finding out that the liquor store wanted $8.95 for a 16 oz can of "Impeach-able" sour ale. I vote regularly, at the polling station and with my wallet as well. Iit was a case of not today.

• I like it 1

22 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Tell us about that overpriced WSR or ETL you passed on today.

I was fortunate to try some ETL at the home of @JoeTerp.  I couldn't believe how ordinary it was and I'm still trying to figure out why this stuff has half the country on a wild goose chase willing to pay secondary prices for it.

• I like it 4

11 hours ago, Radioyada said:

It was a close decision, but I just had to say no. Granted the manager was not sure what the price would be, but he guessed in the $400-$500 range. Was a guess though. 

93154B0A-9997-4AB9-A75A-F70023E81E56.jpeg

The MSRP is $250 but we all know that it'll go for much higher considering its scarcity.

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, DCFan said:

I was fortunate to try some ETL at the home of @JoeTerp.  I couldn't believe how ordinary it was and I'm still trying to figure out why this stuff has half the country on a wild goose chase willing to pay secondary prices for it.

I like it and think that under $50 it’s a solid bourbon (it’s exactly $40 after tax in VA now). But $150 on secondary is insane for this. But aside from BTAC and maybe EHTBP I don’t get the secondary market for most of BT products. 

• I like it 3

Passed on Blanton's today, store I like going to got some in and priced them for $149.99. Waaay to much. Was very disappointed.

Stopped in a store today that should have been called "Everything's $400". All the allocated stuff in the glass case was priced at $399.99...GTS, 4RSmBLE (17 & 18), Michter's 10, Rhetoric 25 , and....Maker's Mark Justify bottle?!?!?! Hey it least it's a 1L. They also had ER10 for $60 and BT (yes regular 750 of regular BT) for $50.

Had to pass on a ECBP B519 at $50. Good price, but I already have one, plus spent my budget earlier this week when I found a couple bottles of 1994 Knappogue Castle for $37 each (figured I'll never see 2 1994s sitting on a sbelf at that price!).

• I like it 3

15 hours ago, DCFan said:

I remember when it cost $25 and sat in rows on the shelf.  I thought it was an easy drinker with nothing really special about it.  At the time, I thought $25 was a bit of a stretch for NAS 90 proof.

• I like it 2

10 hours ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

Had to pass on a ECBP B519 at $50. Good price, but I already have one, plus spent my budget earlier this week when I found a couple bottles of 1994 Knappogue Castle for $37 each (figured I'll never see 2 1994s sitting on a sbelf at that price!).

That’s discipline. 50 bucks a throw for ECBP is a steal. 

• I like it 3

9 hours ago, PaulO said:

I remember when it cost $25 and sat in rows on the shelf.  I thought it was an easy drinker with nothing really special about it.  At the time, I thought $25 was a bit of a stretch for NAS 90 proof.

PaulO, agree completely. I feel the same regarding ER. Both great consistent bourbons on their own. The best analogy I've heard on ETL and ER is that they are the Honda Accords of bourbon, no fancy bells and whistles, just a smooth enjoyable ride and you'll hardly find anyone who doesn't enjoy driving one.

• I like it 2

Passed on an ETL yesterday. There were 3 behind the counter with no price tag. I asked how much and the guy pulled it down and scanned it in. $149.99. Hard pass told him. He instantly said he could do $100 bucks on it. Thanks I said, but still to high.

• I like it 1

On 6/22/2019 at 6:23 AM, DCFan said:

Nobody cared too much about ETL really until Elmer died. Then all the sudden the stories about him came out and then there was a new mystique associated with the product, plus some fear that the product would be discontinued, that caused a rush of hunting to buy up whatever people could find.  

Totally overhyped. Most of the bottles of if I’ve bought in the last 5 years have been used as gifts for people that think it’s cool but personally I can’t remember the last time I’ve had a pour of it. 

• I like it 5

Passed on the BT, not because of $ but because it’s past 8pm on a Sunday in IN..... maybe I’ll pick up a WT101 or RR10yr tomorrow and see that teh fuss is all aboot....

FF4C4ED5-45EC-47D7-89EC-7388BBDF6C24.jpeg

Edited by TehRegion219
Grammar are the bestest

As the story goes, SGWS raised the price on all BT products, so my usual last Tuesday of the month stop to grab a bottle of $35.99 ER, turned into a bottle of Ron Zacapa 23 because I'm not paying the $59.99 SRP that the distributor is levying on all the local stores. Not sure who to believe about this, but my 3 small shops all have the same price pattern for ER now. :(

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.