What bourbon did you pass on, Summer 2019?

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

24 minutes ago, jwperry said:

As the story goes, SGWS raised the price on all BT products, so my usual last Tuesday of the month stop to grab a bottle of $35.99 ER, turned into a bottle of Ron Zacapa 23 because I'm not paying the $59.99 SRP that the distributor is levying on all the local stores. Not sure who to believe about this, but my 3 small shops all have the same price pattern for ER now. :(

WOW!!!   Bummer!    I can't blame ya', passing at $60.

1 minute ago, Richnimrod said:

WOW!!!   Bummer!    I can't blame ya', passing at $60.

He had 1.75L BT on the floor that weren't processed in yet. Used to be $54.99, I was afraid to ask what they're now. 

I'm out of space on my bar and running out of space in my closet to store all these, I might be about ready to call it quits for new purchases for the rest of the year. 

3 hours ago, jwperry said:

He had 1.75L BT on the floor that weren't processed in yet. Used to be $54.99, I was afraid to ask what they're now. 

I'm out of space on my bar and running out of space in my closet to store all these, I might be about ready to call it quits for new purchases for the rest of the year. 

I tell myself that every few weeks also. Then I stop into a store just to look and find something I’ll regret not taking home.

• I like it 2

Seriously, no sarcasm, there are other sources for bourbon besides BT.  I just got tired of all the Mickey Mouse games.  In the past, I bought a lot of BT products, and talked them up to other people.  I guess I'm (or was) part of the problem.

On the bright side, most of the legacy distillers have some great product at reasonable prices.

At some point, BT becomes the fable of The Emperor's New Clothes.

• I like it 6

Passed on a few things today:

- WSR at $30, which just seems silly to me but I guess that's the going rate. 

- McKenna 10 year at $45 — which, if that's the new equilibrium seems a little high to me but not unreasonable if they can keep the quality up. In other words, I've had bottles of McKenna that were worth $45 but I've also had some that... weren't. 

- Also passed on ECBP at $65 just because I have a few unopened already.

Missed the single barrel store pick by a couple hours. Hard pass on the monster pot still bottle and the BO.  They had a few cases of WSR, Rowan’s creek and Noah’s mill which I passed on as well. 

A46B981F-846B-4B28-963B-A9BE6423F96C.jpeg

WA107 @ $76.99 - PASS!  Didn't even look at the WSR price - but did get a 2016 FRLE SiB "Elliot's Select" and another Blanton's SFTB (127.9 pf).  I'm sooo weak!   ?

20190627_064245.jpg

Roses were for wife's *^&@th birthday, yesterday!

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 3

WA107 @ $76.99 - PASS!  Didn't even look at the WSR price - but did get a 2016 FRLE SiB "Elliot's Select" and another Blanton's SFTB (127.9 pf).  I'm sooo weak!   [emoji6]

20190627_064245.thumb.jpg.d41049bc42198940804e0c9b615a34ec.jpg

Roses were for wife's *^&@th birthday, yesterday!

Boston market?

1 minute ago, HoustonNit said:

Boston market?

Yup.   I didn't ask questions, so he wouldn't have to tell me any lies.    ?

• I like it 1

Yup.   I didn't ask questions, so he wouldn't have to tell me any lies.    [emoji2958]

Smart man, nicely done.

Just got back from visiting Colorado Springs. Passed on Stagg Jr. at $80, ETL at $150 and W12 at $200.

I did get a couple bottles of the latest batch of ECBP for $60 and a 10 year old 4R OBSV for $65, so it wasn’t a total bust.

• I like it 3

On 6/26/2019 at 4:48 PM, TehRegion219 said:

Missed the single barrel store pick by a couple hours. Hard pass on the monster pot still bottle and the BO.  They had a few cases of WSR, Rowan’s creek and Noah’s mill which I passed on as well. 

A46B981F-846B-4B28-963B-A9BE6423F96C.jpeg

That was a Binny's pick of EHT? Wow! - I did not know BT did private barrels of that. I'll have to keep an eye out at my location. 

I've been passing on EC Barrel Proof at Binny's lately. I have a few older batches, and while I do enjoy, I find there are other bottles I'd rather spend (and need to work down the inventory a bit).

• I like it 2

Out and about today. Amongst other things (not so good), I passed on liter bottles of EW BIB @ $19.99. 

Biba! Joe

I passed today, only because I just picked up a bottle in SC recently, but was surprised and excited to see that Early Times BIB has landed in Georgia. Under $26 for 1L.

• I like it 1

47 minutes ago, dad-proof said:

I passed today, only because I just picked up a bottle in SC recently, but was surprised and excited to see that Early Times BIB has landed in Georgia. Under $26 for 1L.

Very glad to hear this good news!

19 hours ago, fanostra said:

That was a Binny's pick of EHT? Wow! - I did not know BT did private barrels of that. I'll have to keep an eye out at my location. 

I've been passing on EC Barrel Proof at Binny's lately. I have a few older batches, and while I do enjoy, I find there are other bottles I'd rather spend (and need to work down the inventory a bit).

Neither did I. I was offered a SiB and passed as I’m fine with the one in reserve I have. Now I’m kicking myself. 

On 6/25/2019 at 10:47 PM, PaulO said:

Seriously, no sarcasm, there are other sources for bourbon besides BT.  I just got tired of all the Mickey Mouse games.  In the past, I bought a lot of BT products, and talked them up to other people.  I guess I'm (or was) part of the problem.

On the bright side, most of the legacy distillers have some great product at reasonable prices.

At some point, BT becomes the fable of The Emperor's New Clothes.

It’s funny how my perspective of the Distillers has changed over the last few years. Not that long ago I thought Buffalo Trace hung the moon because even though much of their production was allocated they still kept the prices low. Now everything is still allocated but nearly every store has the products at gouge level. On the flip side, Beam was my enemy for dropping KC’s age statement and flip flopping on OG114 and jacking up Booker’s. Today, I have interesting readily available LE’s in Repeal Batch and Distillers Cut. Age Statement are coming back. Numerous 14 yr old single barrels of KC. What’s not to Love about the company. Then, there’s Wild Turkey. Just doing what they do with the same regularity that they always have. LE’s are the same price they always have been but a guy can find them plus the flag ship bottles are as good if not better. 

• I like it 4

I've also found my preferences have shifted over to to Beam and WT.

I was in a drug store about a week ago.  I noticed they had Woodford on sale for $21.

A few days later, I returned.  It was even cheaper, $18 and change.  Then I noticed - 375ml bottle. Ha-ha

Regrettably I have passed on ECBP twice in the last few weeks due to lack of funds.  The first was at $60, which isn't a bad price, and the second was at $70, which was an easier pass.

Eagle Rare "handle" for $55.  That's a good price but the damn bottle is so tall.  It wouldn't fit in my liquor cabinet.  Heck, it wouldn't even fit on the counter top under the liquor cabinet where the regular ER goes.  It's a beautiful bottle but, like the Willett Pot Still, just not practical.

• I like it 1

Not a bottle, but a shot of Bookers 30th. I’m at a hotel in Houston and here sits a bottle. $64 for a shot. 

1398E293-5972-47D0-A84D-24041BED9903.thumb.jpeg.a2f8c4c0a7662325e7ce288aea37364a.jpeg

(top right) 

• I like it 1

Little Book Batch #2 @ $200.00.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Little Book Batch #2 @ $200.00.

Biba! Joe

Smart man.  I have an opened dusty bottle of #1 sitting under a chair in the corner of our dining room.  I keep it somewhat visible to remind me NOT to consider getting a #2.

Spent the holiday weekend up in beautiful northern MI. While in Traverse City, I stopped by Traverse City Distillery & tried their 10 yr BP. Wonderful MGP juice, but couldnt pull the trigger at $120. Hopefully I can find a bottle of the latest 12 yr casks that Blaum Bros just released, & at a lower price.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.