What bourbon did you pass on, Summer 2019?

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 7/6/2019 at 4:59 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

Smart man.  I have an opened dusty bottle of #1 sitting under a chair in the corner of our dining room.  I keep it somewhat visible to remind me NOT to consider getting a #2.

I will admit I have not tried batch 1 as the idea of a 100% corn whiskey did not appeal to me and then reviews backed that up.  But I really enjoyed batch 2 and through it was a fantastic whiskey.  I have a little left that I plan on trying again soon as there are still a few bottles in my area and I want one more try before deciding if I will get a backup or two.  

On 6/28/2019 at 4:36 PM, Supercharger said:

Neither did I. I was offered a SiB and passed as I’m fine with the one in reserve I have. Now I’m kicking myself. 

I'm kicking you as well!  Haha  Would have loved to have gotten one of the Binny's picks.

Edited by Bob_Loblaw

Three Posts in a row, but I have to say those passing on ECBP for $60 or less may be regretting it down the road.  McKenna going up, the new 7 year BiB is $40.  I imagine ECBP at 12 year cask strength (and fantastic juice) is going to see a price hike in the near future.  

I have several bottles and always one open and will continue to buy whenever offered.  One of the few that I am willing to bunker quite a lot of before I would stop. 

• I like it 1

Little Book Batch #2 @ $200.00.

Biba! Joe
What's a good price to buy #1 at?

I've seen it floating around for $150ish, but haven't worked my way to any Booker's and didn't want to spend that kind of money for a "first taste" bottle.

9 minutes ago, jwperry said:

I've seen it floating around for $150ish, but haven't worked my way to any Booker's and didn't want to spend that kind of money for a "first taste" bottle.

$100 or less is all I would pay, I never grabbed #1 but have enjoyed #2 and now kind of wish I would have grabbed the first, I saw one last week for $120 and left it on the shelf. 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, jwperry said:

Personally I wouldn’t base my decision on whether or not to try either Little Book based on whether or not you have tried regular Booker’s. Neither batch of Little Book is anything like a regular Booker’s at all really. It just has a related name and packaging basically

• I like it 3

Passed on a Heavens Door 90 and 100 proofs at $50 each. Couldn't pull the trigger on a NAS, Dickel (assumed) blend  when there was a 10yo tried and true HM sitting on the shelf for $35.

0711191424a.jpg

• I like it 5

53 minutes ago, Bret Bret said:

Passed on a Heavens Door 90 and 100 proofs at $50 each. Couldn't pull the trigger on a NAS, Dickel (assumed) blend  when there was a 10yo tried and true HM sitting on the shelf for $35.

Just to confirm: You grabbed up a HMcK BIB for $35?   Good Price any more, I must say!

But, the line "tried and true", for me anyway, should always come with a bit of a caveat when it comes to any single barrel offering.   I know of at least one barrel of HMcK BIB that was truly bad, and I've had a couple that were sub-par.   And, HMcK BIB isn't the only one.    I got suckered into a bottle of Elmer T. Lee several years ago that was very poor, and that is also a brand much revered here.

Sooooo, one can always get 'hooked' on any single barrel, regardless of the brand's reputation, unfortunate as that situation is.

• I like it 2

56 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

Just to confirm: You grabbed up a HMcK BIB for $35?   Good Price any more, I must say!

But, the line "tried and true", for me anyway, should always come with a bit of a caveat when it comes to any single barrel offering.   I know of at least one barrel of HMcK BIB that was truly bad, and I've had a couple that were sub-par.   And, HMcK BIB isn't the only one.    I got suckered into a bottle of Elmer T. Lee several years ago that was very poor, and that is also a brand much revered here.

Sooooo, one can always get 'hooked' on any single barrel, regardless of the brand's reputation, unfortunate as that situation is.

Never had one that was sub par and had many. Not hooked on any brand, but I know what I like. So tried and true, for me at least with HMck bib, is an accurate assessment.

Cheers.

• I like it 2

44 minutes ago, Bret Bret said:

Never had one that was sub par and had many. Not hooked on any brand, but I know what I like. So tried and true, for me at least with HMck bib, is an accurate assessment.

Cheers.

I’ve had one that was not good at all. Luckily that did not sway me from trying it again with a much better result.

2 hours ago, Bret Bret said:

I'd have gone for the HM as well.  I've never had a "bad" one either but some better than others.  Unfortunately it has dried up locally or its +$50 now.  Used to buy it often when it was $28.

• I like it 1

0711191424a.thumb.jpg.aee569ae559ada5f9257cb0828aa88fa.jpg

Great price on the Henry McKenna in the current environment! I’ve been seeing it lately between $40 and $45! Fortunately I won’t have to buy any for awhile since I bunkered quite a few bottles from a honey barrel a few years ago, and also bought a mixed case of two different barrels last year before prices went up.

9 hours ago, Clueby said:

Just passed on Peerless rye for $150 

Wow.  Even VA has permanently knocked down the price to $100 on those (and they still sit on the shelves).

14 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Great price on the Henry McKenna in the current environment! I’ve been seeing it lately between $40 and $45! Fortunately I won’t have to buy any for awhile since I bunkered quite a few bottles from a honey barrel a few years ago, and also bought a mixed case of two different barrels last year before prices went up.

I've seen stores selling it for $100.  Other than that, I don't see it anywhere.  I guess it's the new Weller...

Passed on the peanut butter whiskey and the Sam Houston even on sale. Went with another VOB100 for ~$15

5E531703-53AA-4B74-AE6A-1D17E66AE21A.jpeg

EEDB418C-816A-4C54-85DC-561054B9605D.jpeg

Passed on the peanut butter whiskey and the Sam Houston even on sale. Went with another VOB100 for ~$15
5E531703-53AA-4B74-AE6A-1D17E66AE21A.thumb.jpeg.c443389f966fb932fce06223062e96e4.jpeg
EEDB418C-816A-4C54-85DC-561054B9605D.thumb.jpeg.c4c0ddf91509a5914f1596bfdb1cd473.jpeg

I wish I could find that Rhetoric around my area, and especially at that price!
  • I like it 1

On 7/6/2019 at 9:28 AM, LCWoody said:

Not a bottle, but a shot of Bookers 30th. I’m at a hotel in Houston and here sits a bottle. $64 for a shot. 

1398E293-5972-47D0-A84D-24041BED9903.thumb.jpeg.a2f8c4c0a7662325e7ce288aea37364a.jpeg

(top right) 

They have the Bookers 30th, EC, Angels Envy, and WLW up by the Macallan 25? Just what.......? All of those are good bourbons i am sure....but the Macallan would be bettter and it wouldn't be close.....imo. 

14 hours ago, TehRegion219 said:

You should have picked up a bottle of the Hartley Italian brandy.  My wife loves that stuff.  It's a Sazarac product and sells for under $10.  And, comes in the last gen Weller bottle...

• I like it 1

I passed on everything this past weekend. :o  Yeah I know. “Praise the lord, and pass the bottle.” :D Most notable were passes on Kentucky Owl Confiscated and Screwball Peanutbutter whiskey. OGD114 has made a reappearance at one local store. I was tempted,($21.99) but managed to “walk away clean”. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

Passed on the Barrel Whiskey Batch 1 for $65 yesterday. But driving back to Chicago from Western Ill tomorrow & I know a shop that just got in 14 yr KCSB, so that I wont pass on!

• I like it 1

18 hours ago, PaulO said:

Joe, I would have grabbed that OGD 114.

I know Paul, I know. :mellow:   Although it has been a while, I have had a couple of bottles of OGD 114 in the past. While it wasn’t “bad” by any means, it just didn’t trip my trigger. Who knows? I just might have to give this one another try. 

FWIW, my wife is gonna be out of town for a while this Saturday. I already have tentative plans to stop at one store. What’s one more stop? ^_^

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

I know Paul, I know. :mellow:   Although it has been a while, I have had a couple of bottles of OGD 114 in the past. While it wasn’t “bad” by any means, it just didn’t trip my trigger. Who knows? I just might have to give this one another try. 

FWIW, my wife is gonna be out of town for a while this Saturday. I already have tentative plans to stop at one store. What’s one more stop? [emoji5]

Biba! Joe

Joe, OGD114 is a key ingredient for GW4G, along with WSR...just sayin’. [emoji3]
  • I like it 2

2 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Joe, OGD114 is a key ingredient for GW4G, along with WSR...just sayin’. emoji3.png

Exactly!!

20190716_211236.jpg

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.