What bourbon did you pass on, Summer 2019?

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On no planet should one buy a fifth of W12 for $80 
In Florida it would be North of $150...

18 minutes ago, jwperry said:
3 hours ago, BusterChestnut said:

In Georgia they keep WSR hidden behind the counter ?

In Georgia they keep WSR hidden behind the counter [emoji23]
Same in FL. I grabbed a bottle while on vacation in Texas. Was a little disappointed after such a long hunt. I thought it would be a wheater, but it just tasted like a watered down BT to me.

2 hours ago, jwperry said:
5 hours ago, BusterChestnut said:

There is another store in the same vicinity charging $199, and no doubt it will sell. While I like W12, and have a quarter bottle left in my closet, at this moment in time, there are other bottles I would like to spend my money on. I can hear that big boy ER calling real hard though.

• I like it 1

Vail Colorado store 2 years ago.  Sells everyone he gets within a week and you can bitch all you want just not to him. 

0A6F211E-B4EC-474C-978C-E1F7DC0E8198.jpeg

3A4CB808-3D36-4180-96A0-F962156526CF.jpeg

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

That ER big boy probably would've found a comfortable spot in my bunker. 

I'd have to agree considering the local price on 750s of ER (that I passed on yesterday) is $47.

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, Clueby said:

Not sure who on here said it...but we must remember that all bourbon is just future pee.

Blasphemy, I say!!!! You're referring to beer (and probably most craft whiskies). Good bourbon is completely absorbed by your body and is extremely nutritious. There is no waste produced from bourbon for the body to excrete. Among its benefits:

Aids your digestive tract

Gives your hair a luminous shine

Makes your skin look radiant

Sharpens your awareness

Helps restore lost brain cells

Produces a pheromone that makes you more attractive to the opposite sex

Give you the energy of a 16yr old (which is necessary because of the pheromone effects)

If you don't believe me, come to Bardstown for the Sampler or KBF and see for yourself how 3-4 days of drinking whiskey makes SB members young again! :D

Still don't believe me, ask Troyce, he'll back me up.

• I like it 10

8 hours ago, jwperry said:
10 hours ago, BusterChestnut said:

I still haven't figured out Florida's distribution and pricing. 

45 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

Blasphemy, I say!!!! You're referring to beer (and probably most craft whiskies). Good bourbon is completely absorbed by your body and is extremely nutritious. There is no waste produced from bourbon for the body to excrete. Among its benefits:

Aids your digestive tract

Gives your hair a luminous shine

Makes your skin look radiant

Sharpens your awareness

Helps restore lost brain cells

Produces a pheromone that makes you more attractive to the opposite sex

Give you the energy of a 16yr old (which is necessary because of the pheromone effects)

If you don't believe me, come to Bardstown for the Sampler or KBF and see for yourself how 3-4 days of drinking whiskey makes SB members young again! :D

Still don't believe me, ask Troyce, he'll back me up.

The nutrition aspect of bourbon is often understated.  It is like a corn smoothie.  I have often wondered why it isn't available at Smoothie King.

• I like it 2

7 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Neither have the distributers. They certainly can't keep promises, but it probably isn't their fault. As far as pricing, their are some good folks here, but the greedy bastiges are rampant as well...

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, jwperry said:

Same in FL. I grabbed a bottle while on vacation in Texas. Was a little disappointed after such a long hunt. I thought it would be a wheater, but it just tasted like a watered down BT to me.

I recall having tried WSR early on in my bourbon journey, when WL12 and OWA were commonly found on the shelf.  I thought is was a weak substitute and just didn't "get it."  I always preferred OWA over WL12 which I enjoyed but found a little sooty.  However, as WL12 and OWA have all but disappeared, I have occasionally ran across WSR and find it much better than the other available wheated bourbon options in the lower to mid-tier price range.  I have even found that there are times I prefer something in the 90 proof range.  It would be a regular bottle in my rotation if I could find it in Indiana.

5 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

I recall having tried WSR early on in my bourbon journey, when WL12 and OWA were commonly found on the shelf.  I thought is was a weak substitute and just didn't "get it."  I always preferred OWA over WL12 which I enjoyed but found a little sooty.  However, as WL12 and OWA have all but disappeared, I have occasionally ran across WSR and find it much better than the other available wheated bourbon options in the lower to mid-tier price range.  I have even found that there are times I prefer something in the 90 proof range.  It would be a regular bottle in my rotation if I could find it in Indiana.

I've had the WSR only once & wrote it off at that point; not for being terrible as much as preferring the W12 & OWA in a SBSBS and deeming it unnecessary. The waitress snuck me a jigger and I did a 60/40 blend that was a clear winner. Second was the OWA for me. I still can't get hold of a W12 to whip up a blend, but the couple bottles of OWA that I have been able to scrounge is mighty fine in my book...

ABC has the distribution contract for all things Weller. With their new "vault" you gotta pay to play.

Other BT products get distribution pretty regularly, at least around Central Florida. Problem is they don't hit the shelves most of the time due to employee purchases or employees holding back items for their friends. Those are at the stores that sell at MSRP. The secondary priced stores are just that. Problem is, in the high tourist trap, it'll sell because everyone is spending vacation money.

Also doesn't help we're the 4th most populist state, with a higher than average median income, therefore making luxury purchases more abundant.

Saw a couple bottles of Kentucky Owl Confiscated for $99 ON THE REGULAR SHELF at a store in Sacramento...sorry NO.

• I like it 2

15 hours ago, JakeySnakes said:

There is another store in the same vicinity charging $199, and no doubt it will sell. While I like W12, and have a quarter bottle left in my closet, at this moment in time, there are other bottles I would like to spend my money on. I can hear that big boy ER calling real hard though.

Saw W12 for $499 a few weeks ago. Beyond belief. 

My local group had a bottle share recently. We set a blind for all who showed up. We walked the attendees through like we would be selecting a barrel IE, eyes on your own paper. Nose, taste, assess, make notes etc. then we discussed. 

Regular Maker’s Mark Cask strength 11 votes

off the shelf (non pick) old weller antique 3 votes. 

• I like it 6

11 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

^^^ This ^^^  I've always liked OWA but used to think of WSR as as the orphan stepchild.  However, I've lately developed a real appreciation for WSR, especially when I'm in the mood for something a little lower in proof.  To me, it's so well balanced and fruity with no sharp edges.  I love the hints of pear I get on the nose, just like with WLW, but not as intense, of course...  :D

• I like it 1

Down to one open bottle of Baker's.  Price has been creeping up lately.  Saw it at Liquor Barn for $60.99.  Pass.

8 hours ago, Mako254 said:

My local group had a bottle share recently. We set a blind for all who showed up. We walked the attendees through like we would be selecting a barrel IE, eyes on your own paper. Nose, taste, assess, make notes etc. then we discussed. 

MMCS is so much better than OWA, I would have been surprised if the results were the opposite. There is a more variability with the MMCS, but some of the batches have toasted nut ion the palate that is so good at balancing out the sweet. 

• I like it 2

10 hours ago, Mako254 said:

Ouch.....:huh:

Biba! Joe

3 hours ago, dad-proof said:

MMCS is so much better than OWA, I would have been surprised if the results were the opposite. There is a more variability with the MMCS, but some of the batches have toasted nut ion the palate that is so good at balancing out the sweet. 

My experience does not match that. Head to head the slightly higher proof might give some initial slight edge to the MMCS but I still think overall the flavors in OWA are way more in my wheelhouse.  All the MMCS bottles I have tried have all been one trick ponies. Syrupy sweetness was really all I ever got with them with a bit of alcohol.  With OWA I get the BT mineral profile along with what I think of as leather across the Weller lineup followed up with that cinnamon redhot finish. 

• I like it 4

12 hours ago, Mako254 said:

4 hours ago, dad-proof said:

I've never been able to really get past a heavy acetone note I get from MM which is even more prevalent in MMCS

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

My experience does not match that. Head to head the slightly higher proof might give some initial slight edge to the MMCS but I still think overall the flavors in OWA are way more in my wheelhouse.  All the MMCS bottles I have tried have all been one trick ponies. Syrupy sweetness was really all I ever got with them with a bit of alcohol.  With OWA I get the BT mineral profile along with what I think of as leather across the Weller lineup followed up with that cinnamon redhot finish. 

Many of the people were what I would call ‘advanced beginners’. 

It was enjoyable to see people find out they preferred something they pass over in every single store as opposed to the mighty owa that they seek. 

I agree that MM is a well executed but not overly complex bourbon that is most certainly sweet. People do like sweet though ?‍♂️

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

My experience does not match that. Head to head the slightly higher proof might give some initial slight edge to the MMCS but I still think overall the flavors in OWA are way more in my wheelhouse.  

Now I want to do a SBS. Unfortunately, I am down to 2 OWAs in the bunker, so maybe I just want to give the win to MMCS because it's available.

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

I've never been able to really get past a heavy acetone note I get from MM which is even more prevalent in MMCS

I get an unpleasant acetone note in the standard MM, which I avoid at all costs, but don't get it at all in my MMCS. Maybe I just lucked into a good batch?

I say unpleasant acetone for MM, because I also get acetone notes in OF.  However, I actually find myself craving OF every once in a while. I guess they just carry the acetone differently to my taste buds, kind of like sulfur notes in some Scotches are pleasant and other it ruins the dram for me.

Back on thread, I keep passing on a lonely bottle of HM10 at $46 thinking I can find it cheaper, but I need a bottle for an upcoming  group SBS with a late 80's HM.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, dad-proof said:

Now I want to do a SBS. Unfortunately, I am down to 2 OWAs in the bunker, so maybe I just want to give the win to MMCS because it's available.

I get an unpleasant acetone note in the standard MM, which I avoid at all costs, but don't get it at all in my MMCS

This is my experience, as well as your run ins with OF having the same. Last year I had a bottle of OF1920. Most nights I got that OF acetone finish, but every once in a while it absolutely hit the spot. Individual palates are funny. 

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.