What bourbon did you pass on, Summer 2019?

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Blantons at $189.00 at Mickey Finns in Florence SC.  Had tons of stuff folks are looking for.  Some only slightly marked up over std retail.  The Blantons silliness was one a new level at retail for me.   thanks.  ill PASS...

I assume you passed on the Little Bpook.

So this LS I haven’t visited in a while said they just got in an awesome RRSB barrel they picked out.
I asked if I could try a sample and they were more than accommodating. According to the personalized label on the bottle, it was almost 10 years old. Got pretty excited at that.

Anyway, I had a taste and my first impression was that it was very oaky. They assured me that with some air time it would mellow out. 

I passed. Maybe because I think my palate has changed and the heavy oak just doesn’t wow me. 

Anyone had the oak diminish after some air time? At close to $60 a bottle, not sure I want to take a chance.
That's been my take on the RRSB. I feel it is proofed too high(yes, I know it is still lower proof than WTRB and the same Mashbill) and a little oaky. I've had the regular release & 2 barrel selects.

But I'll keep buying/trying them as I love me some WT
  • I like it 1

I made the rounds of the local LS's in town and decided to stop at a store I have never been to. They had a couple bottles of Eagle Rare 10 behind the counter so I asked for the price, 69.99.

I just told the owner "that's just wrong" and left. Won't be going back there. Granted, Florida prices for BT products can be high, but my go to spot has ER for $31 a few times a year. 

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, OnyourMark said:

Colonel EH Taylor small batch for $53.....no thanks!

I would pass at that price even in Florida. What's the going rate up there? I can find it for $39-41 here if I am patient, but I have seen it as high as $79 in small LS's, no thanks for sure.

11 minutes ago, GTStagg said:

I would pass at that price even in Florida. What's the going rate up there? I can find it for $39-41 here if I am patient, but I have seen it as high as $79 in small LS's, no thanks for sure.

Generally I have seen it for $41.

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, OnyourMark said:

Colonel EH Taylor small batch for $53.....no thanks!

Yeah, it's good but not $53 good.  Even $40 is pushing it, IMO.  I prefer Eagle Rare 10yo. which I can get for $26 - $30. 

First sighting of Master's Keep Cornerstone Rye.  $175 is MSRP, I think.  I was surprised at this as Bevmo usually prices things higher than MSRP, especially for allocated or sought after items.  Still too rich for my blood especially since I've heard mixed reviews - some love it, some think it's kind of meh...

cornerstone.jpg

• I like it 1

Passed on Old Fitz BiB 13-yr @ $249. He had all three from the only case I can assume he received. 

I bought a Willett Family Reserve Rye 4-yr at a slightly inflated price and he commented there was more behind the counter. I simply replied, “Yeah. I saw that.” He sheepishly rung me up. 

Went to Atlanta for a few days and passed on a lot of Weller SR (not my thing), a lot of 4R SBS, a few ER, a Barrel Dovetail (was a hard pass but didn't want to drop the $$ without trying) and 2 RR pics (from 2-3 years ago). All in all I stoped at 12-15 LS and bought nothing - rare for me.

20 hours ago, Cigars&Bourbon said:

All in all I stoped at 12-15 LS and bought nothing - rare for me.

Who are you, and what did you do with C&B? :huh:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

8 minutes ago, foster016 said:

RHF for $299.  I still can't believe that this is what the bourbon world has come to.

The other often forgotten part of this new math is the sales tax...

That’d be about $325 OTD here. 

• I like it 2

17 hours ago, foster016 said:

RHF for $299.  I still can't believe that this is what the bourbon world has come to.

It is sad.  The other night, I pulled out RHF from my bar and had a pour, and thought two things: 1. thankfully this used to be available in spurts in NJ for $40-$50 and I stockpiled several bottles, and 2. it is sad that this is a unicorn now and people can't buy it and enjoy it. 

I know there are a ton of other bourbons out there (trust me, I have 'em), but cliche or not, I still love sitting down to a pour of ETL or RHF, and it is a shame you can't find them or buy them at an affordable price anymore.

• I like it 4

5 hours ago, jeffrey r said:

It is sad.  The other night, I pulled out RHF from my bar and had a pour, and thought two things: 1. thankfully this used to be available in spurts in NJ for $40-$50 and I stockpiled several bottles, and 2. it is sad that this is a unicorn now and people can't buy it and enjoy it. 

I know there are a ton of other bourbons out there (trust me, I have 'em), but cliche or not, I still love sitting down to a pour of ETL or RHF, and it is a shame you can't find them or buy them at an affordable price anymore.

Right, for me it's becoming increasingly difficult to find anything "out of the ordinary" here in Chicago.  A lot of retailers either charge an arm or a leg when they receive an allocated offering or they don't put it on the shelf at all.

I made the rounds of the local LS's in town and decided to stop at a store I have never been to. They had a couple bottles of Eagle Rare 10 behind the counter so I asked for the price, 69.99.
I just told the owner "that's just wrong" and left. Won't be going back there. Granted, Florida prices for BT products can be high, but my go to spot has ER for $31 a few times a year. 

No sweat just drink plain old Buffalo Trace which I like more personally or RR10 year, or really a bunch of stuff that you may prefer and is on the shelf at good prices. I didn’t realize ER had become hard to find until I tried to get some earlier this year for a coworkers dad.

First sighting of Master's Keep Cornerstone Rye.  $175 is MSRP, I think.  I was surprised at this as Bevmo usually prices things higher than MSRP, especially for allocated or sought after items.  Still too rich for my blood especially since I've heard mixed reviews - some love it, some think it's kind of meh...
cornerstone.jpg.7ff2b1549123851b46a8ae2ac51ab18a.jpg

Just sad, I’d really like to try this but WT missed the mark again by overpricing there LEs. Maybe they have a different model there working towards in which there LEs are priced at a range only for folks with a bunch of money and not intended to fly off the shelf or be a marketing tool for there lower end products. They don’t need the marketing, they have plenty of there standard product that sells itself.

In Paris for work and passed on all this. Just a lowly slave wage but when I win the lotto I’ll be back.

IMG_7974.jpg

IMG_7975.jpg

IMG_7976.jpg
IMG_7977.jpg

IMG_7978.jpg
IMG_7979.jpg

• I like it 9

3 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

In Paris for work and passed on all this. Just a lowly slave wage but when I win the lotto I’ll be back.

IMG_7974.jpg

IMG_7975.jpg

IMG_7976.jpg
IMG_7977.jpg

IMG_7978.jpg
IMG_7979.jpg

Sacre bleu!!

oops. forgot to ask, as a fellow Texan: Paris tx, or Paris fr??

Edited by Patrick_OKC
humour
  • I like it 1

I was hoping to replace the OWA I killed off yesterday, and the best I could find was a WSR for $40. I haven't shopped for bourbon in a couple years now, but apparently we're still not over this BS. Back to thinning out my stash I guess.

• I like it 3

On 9/4/2019 at 6:34 PM, HoustonNit said:

Just sad, I’d really like to try this but WT missed the mark again by overpricing there LEs. Maybe they have a different model there working towards in which there LEs are priced at a range only for folks with a bunch of money and not intended to fly off the shelf or be a marketing tool for there lower end products. They don’t need the marketing, they have plenty of there standard product that sells itself.

Unfortunately for us they didn't overprice it, they seem to be moving bottles just fine on this one in many markets.

On a cruise and passed on Weller SR at $32 at duty free.  Probably not terrible but have to buy two to get that price.   I think there are better things for the price.

5 hours ago, TwoFingers said:

On a cruise and passed on Weller SR at $32 at duty free.  Probably not terrible but have to buy two to get that price.   I think there are better things for the price.

But... But... It's Duty-Free!!!!!!   :o    How can you pass it over?   :mellow:     

Think of all that 'Duty' you're NOT Paying!!!!!  ?     

Forget that it's double what it was, only a few short years ago... even only a few short months in a few markets!  ?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.