What bourbon did you pass on, Summer 2019?

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Saw W12 for $499 a few weeks ago. Beyond belief. 

My local group had a bottle share recently. We set a blind for all who showed up. We walked the attendees through like we would be selecting a barrel IE, eyes on your own paper. Nose, taste, assess, make notes etc. then we discussed. 

Regular Maker’s Mark Cask strength 11 votes

off the shelf (non pick) old weller antique 3 votes. 

What was on the lineup?

Edit: Sorry I realize just OWA and MMCS. Was thinking there was a few wheaters.

Passed on a very tempting 4R single barrel PS, especially tempting because it was my favorite OESK.  Passed on it because I simply have enough already.  See I can do this.  It's not that difficult (I keep telling myself over and over haha).

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, Kepler said:

Passed on a very tempting 4R single barrel PS, especially tempting because it was my favorite OESK.  Passed on it because I simply have enough already.  See I can do this.  It's not that difficult (I keep telling myself over and over haha).

I passed on a 10+yo. OESF for $70.  Did I make a mistake? 

5 hours ago, fosmith said:

Only if you love the F yeast. 

It tends to be rather polarizing. 

The older OESF’s can be very minty, almost in a mouthwash kind of way for me. 

I would try to taste it first. 

Edited by 0895

12 hours ago, Kepler said:

*Tears up Kepler’s cult card*

:P

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, fosmith said:

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

Pretty much agree with 895.  It's not my favorite but it is interesting and complex.  But if you don't have one and you are even slightly interested in trying all 10 4R recipes a 10+ yo is a great one to pick up.  The $70 price is middle of the road.  I keep hearing the PS will go up in price so there's that. (yet to see much difference in price myself though)

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

Never had the F yeast, only K and Q, but that doesn't sound like a very appealing flavor profile.  Thanks for  the feedback. 

It's at K&L and they don't let you sample.  In fact, I don't know of any store in the Bay Area that provides samples of spirits.  I can only assume that Calif. must require a different license for spirits consumed on premises.

13 minutes ago, Kepler said:

But if you don't have one and you are even slightly interested in trying all 10 4R recipes a 10+ yo is a great one to pick up.  The $70 price is middle of the road. 

Thanks for the feedback.  It was the age that caught my attention.  But I can buy another bottle of KCSB 14 yo store pick that I know I like for $40 so I think I made the right decision. 

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, fosmith said:

I recommend sampling the 2 F yeasts first. Reading others' thoughts made me want to try them, as it's been a while since I had the E. As 0895 stated they can be super minty. In fact I dont really care for the B neat, but it makes an absolutely incredible mint julep. I'm not one to spend $70 on something to make cocktails, so I wont replace it. This OESF has less mint and is pretty darn good. I wont replace it either. I'll stick with the K, Q, AND V. I've yet to try O, which I'll buy if I come across one. 

20190825_152154.jpg

Edited by JCwhammie

22 minutes ago, fosmith said:

Thanks for the feedback.  It was the age that caught my attention.  But I can buy another bottle of KCSB 14 yo store pick that I know I like for $40 so I think I made the right decision. 

Mr. Smith, I have seen that in your time on SB that you are an enthusiast and appreciator of several different bourbon profiles, as well as several different spirits.  So if I am viewing this correctly, I think it’s worth your time and money to give this very unique, if potentially “polarizing” 4R Mashbill with the F yeast a try.  Personally, I’m not a fan of it, though, it sings to several who lock onto it.  Regardless of my opinion of its profile, I did enjoy the experience of working through it, and the education it gave me.  Perhaps, you may as well.  

• I like it 4

A few years ago I was in a group that picked, blind, an OBSF 11yr, 2mo. 115.2 proof as one of the two barrels we selected (the other one was an OBSQ). At that time we were still able to select from of each of the 10 mashbills, but I don't remember where the OESF finished in our voting. The OBSF was outstanding, but I don't know how the different rye % may affect the F yeast. I do know there was no abundance of the mintiness usually associated with the F in our selection.

The F's can be polarizing, but I have to agree with smokinjoe and say you might want to give it a try. 

• I like it 1

^^^^Enablers! 

Thank God for 'em... the first few responses had me scared that I'd logged into the wrong site!  :o

• I like it 3

21 hours ago, Kepler said:

Unless the price is outrageous, can you ever have enough PS OESK or OBSK?  It would take a really bad barrel for these to not be good!

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, fosmith said:

Depends on your preferences.  I am not a fan of the "F" profile.  However, I had a bottle of OESF that I grew to enjoy as I worked my way through the bottle. 

Maybe, maybe not. As a fan of the F both in OB and OE form and I have several of each, I have not yet had a bad one, most are excellent. 10.5yrs is a particular sweet spot to my taste and I personally would grab a good 4R F over any KC I have ever had. Just my 2 cents and a vote from the other side.

• I like it 1

12 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Unless the price is outrageous, can you ever have enough PS OESK or OBSK?  It would take a really bad barrel for these to not be good!

Well I bought  it by the case the last time I was in Kentucky. When  you have as many bottles overall as I have (not just  4R but all brands) yes trust me you can have enough. 

21 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I think it’s worth your time and money to give this very unique, if potentially “polarizing” 4R Mashbill with the F yeast a try.

21 hours ago, Vosgar said:

The F's can be polarizing, but I have to agree with smokinjoe and say you might want to give it a try. 

You guys had me reconsidering but I went back to the website and it's now sold out.  C'est la vie!

So this LS I haven’t visited in a while said they just got in an awesome RRSB barrel they picked out.

I asked if I could try a sample and they were more than accommodating. According to the personalized label on the bottle, it was almost 10 years old. Got pretty excited at that.

Anyway, I had a taste and my first impression was that it was very oaky. They assured me that with some air time it would mellow out. 

I passed. Maybe because I think my palate has changed and the heavy oak just doesn’t wow me. 

Anyone had the oak diminish after some air time? At close to $60 a bottle, not sure I want to take a chance.

• I like it 1

Raymoall,

If you don't care for it pass.  I've tried samples and passed.  That's how it can go with single barrel selections.

Of course the reverse can be true.  Something is in your wheelhouse, and you buy multiples.

Blantons at $189.00 at Mickey Finns in Florence SC.  Had tons of stuff folks are looking for.  Some only slightly marked up over std retail.  The Blantons silliness was one a new level at retail for me.   thanks.  ill PASS...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.