What bottle(s) did you open today? (Summer ‘19)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

IMG_2906.jpg
Forgot to post last night. Wasn’t sure what to expect, but I actually liked it pretty well. Glad I waited until it was $25 and probably still a bit steep at that. I thought it had a nice sweetness and a good creamy mouthfeel. The disappointment came on the finish which was just hot and short.

On 7/18/2019 at 6:05 PM, LCWoody said:

Starting the afternoon by opening one of my favorites, (I actually bought this today also) very good. 

1F855B1C-0855-44C2-BB4E-6E312387DF19.thumb.jpeg.0c9e37e1f95bc2da09a367eb572c27dc.jpeg

I can hear Leonard Nimoy’s voice in my head.. this one for me might as well be an episode of In Search Of.. I haven’t had in years, and beginning to think I’ll run across the Loch Ness monster, see Bigfoot or solve the mystery of the Bermuda Triangle first. :( 

• I like it 4

On 7/19/2019 at 9:05 PM, Richnimrod said:

Just to clear up any misunderstanding about anyone having "too much Boyurbon"...

As long as all the Bourbon in your possession fits in the containers one maintains for it's storage and/or serving, one cannot be said to have "too much Bourbon".       So There!

Once I started lining up bottles on the floor of my office rather than the shelves did that make it too much or just add the floor to my maximum storage capacity?

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Once I started lining up bottles on the floor of my office rather than the shelves did that make it too much or just add the floor to my maximum storage capacity?

You only have too much if you have bottles suspended under the ceiling by helium balloons!

• I like it 1

Finally got around to cracking open the FRSBS I picked up in Kentucky over the 4th. I’m glad I tried it, but probably won’t be keeping it as a regular on the bar. I’d much rather pick up the standard SB or SiB and put the extra money saved towards something else. Not that I didn’t like it, it just didn’t wow me for $55.

BE05C1D8-FE0E-418A-81F9-8F043411F870.jpeg

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, JSpartan said:

Finally got around to cracking open the FRSBS I picked up in Kentucky over the 4th. I’m glad I tried it, but probably won’t be keeping it as a regular on the bar. I’d much rather pick up the standard SB or SiB and put the extra money saved towards something else. Not that I didn’t like it, it just didn’t wow me for $55.

Will be interested if this is one that needs some oxidation. Had a similar experience but will revisit in a few months 

20 hours ago, BusterChestnut said:

Will be interested if this is one that needs some oxidation. Had a similar experience but will revisit in a few months 

I wonder if there is batch variation on this one. My bottle was fantastic out of the gate and consistently good. Could just be personal differences, but the reviews are so mixed it feels like there could be some inconsistent product. 

• I like it 1

22 hours ago, JSpartan said:

I have a bottle and it's very good, kind of like regular Small Batch on steroids.  Like you I'm not sure it's worth the extra money over the regular small batch.

• I like it 2

Haven't opened this yet, but as soon as I finish posting it will be.

Resized_20190722_160151.jpeg

Opened the OF SiB last night.  OF is hitting some home runs lately.  I love the 1910 and this bottle is darn close to it.  I got a huge dose of caramel and vanilla, and a bit of smokiness up front with just a slight spiciness on the finish.  Wish it hadn't been their last bottle.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Opened the OF SiB last night.  OF is hitting some home runs lately.  I love the 1910 and this bottle is darn close to it.  I got a huge dose of caramel and vanilla, and a bit of smokiness up front with just a slight spiciness on the finish.  Wish it hadn't been their last bottle.

Love my Binnys store pick OF SiB, like you I wish I would have picked up a back up or two

3 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

1 hour ago, TehRegion219 said:

Love my Binnys store pick OF SiB, like you I wish I would have picked up a back up or two

I enjoyed the one I bought, but at $35 prefer the Signature at significantly lower price and higher proof.  Granted this is a single barrel product so mine may have been a "meh" barrel and there are probably some true gems out there.  Agree that OF has some great, very smooth and easy drinking products.  Loved the 1910 and also the new Rye.

Admittedly still pretty young but it's better than the last bottle I had.  The aldehydes are still evident in the nose but it definitely mellows a bit the longer it's out.  Hints of vanilla and caramel with some spice but the finish is long and not hot at all.

Disclosure: I have a financial interest in these guys but I try to remain objective.  Would love to hear others takes.

20190723_141154.jpg

4 hours ago, pyro273 said:

Admittedly still pretty young but it's better than the last bottle I had.  The aldehydes are still evident in the nose but it definitely mellows a bit the longer it's out.  Hints of vanilla and caramel with some spice but the finish is long and not hot at all.

Disclosure: I have a financial interest in these guys but I try to remain objective.  Would love to hear others takes.

20190723_141154.jpg

Is it age stated?  I recall looking a bottle over earlier this year, but the price ($40 if I recall) for what the label said made me quick set it back down.

I opened the GD BIB after work, and ran a pour through the Vinturi Spirit Aerator (hoping that 'opens up' and counters any "I'm gonna suck since I just came from a sealed bottle").  Still on the oaky side of my preference, but better than I remembered it being last week!  Getting a turtle brownie thing that I'm really digging.

Just cracked this baby open to drink with my dinner of ribs & beans.  Nice sweet nose almost makes my mouth water.  Has thick oily legs, medium/thick mouthfeel and a sweet, smooth easy drinking taste that will lead to a couple of refills tonight.  Looked on the bourbon spreadsheet to see I bought this in 2017 for $37.  Loving my bunker lately.

Cheers

IMG_1471.jpg

• I like it 6

2 hours ago, GaryT said:

Is it age stated?  I recall looking a bottle over earlier this year, but the price ($40 if I recall) for what the label said made me quick set it back down.

I opened the GD BIB after work, and ran a pour through the Vinturi Spirit Aerator (hoping that 'opens up' and counters any "I'm gonna suck since I just came from a sealed bottle").  Still on the oaky side of my preference, but better than I remembered it being last week!  Getting a turtle brownie thing that I'm really digging.

It's a NAS SiB.  Price should be more in the $35 range but I get that it still may be too much for what it is.  I do believe that what they have will get better with age and this latest bottle reinforces that belief.  

Opened up a recently purchased Woodford Reserve store pick.  My initial impression is I may need another.  ?

• I like it 1

On 7/23/2019 at 9:59 PM, pyro273 said:

It's a NAS SiB.  Price should be more in the $35 range but I get that it still may be too much for what it is.  I do believe that what they have will get better with age and this latest bottle reinforces that belief.  

I’ve had some really good 4 year old bourbon so that wouldn’t scare me away. $40 for a sub 100 proof 4 yr is a little pricey but I would try it if I ever saw it since Dillard GA isn’t far from me. 

Maiden crack of David Nicholson 1843.  First time trying this.  Not bowled over so far.

On 7/23/2019 at 12:53 PM, Bob_Loblaw said:

I enjoyed the one I bought, but at $35 prefer the Signature at significantly lower price and higher proof.  Granted this is a single barrel product so mine may have been a "meh" barrel and there are probably some true gems out there.  Agree that OF has some great, very smooth and easy drinking products.  Loved the 1910 and also the new Rye.

I picked up a OF SiB from the distillery in Louisville a few months back for $55 and I'm floored at how good it is.  While I definitely wish it was cheaper, definitely satisfied with the purchase.

Not by me, but these were opened for a charity event I attended last night.  

From left to right:  A recent PS WTRR, Vintage Benchmark, SW Old Fitz, Jim Beam, Makers and Old Ezra.  

The Fitz was a 6 yr old that was bottled in ‘70, and was my favorite of the litter.

B067D364-0641-4CBA-8EBE-153D47166E89.jpeg

Edited by Paddy
  • I like it 7

I got back on the WT101 bus this afternoon by opening a 1.75L jug that had the laser etched code on the back that would indicate a more recent bottling as I recall.  This is a really good bottle meant more for shorter days and cooler nights but you can't blame me taking an evaluation pour regardless of heat index.

Opened a willet 4 yr rye. It was solid. I find Willett has a lot of cinnamon (red hot) notes, which overpowered the 2 yr. Passed on the 3 as a result. But the 4 is much better. This stuff is solid. 

Also opened a SAOS13 year Dickel bottle. Initial Nose was sooo nice  thought I was going to be mad for not loading up. First sip, yep Flintstones right in the meaty part of the palate. Damn I have 725ml more to get through. Sigh. 

• I like it 1

32 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Opened a willet 4 yr rye. It was solid. I find Willett has a lot of cinnamon (red hot) notes, which overpowered the 2 yr. Passed on the 3 as a result. But the 4 is much better. This stuff is solid. 

Also opened a SAOS13 year Dickel bottle. Initial Nose was sooo nice  thought I was going to be mad for not loading up. First sip, yep Flintstones right in the meaty part of the palate. Damn I have 725ml more to get through. Sigh. 

Had the same experience with the Willett Rye. 3 yr was a mess but 4 was in another league. Not sure I’ll gamble on the bourbon but the rye has my attention. 

• I like it 1

50 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Had the same experience with the Willett Rye. 3 yr was a mess but 4 was in another league. Not sure I’ll gamble on the bourbon but the rye has my attention. 

Same, I had the 3 year and it could have been <insert any craft distiller's crappy rye here>. The 4 year that I've had was great though. Finished a bottle, have another one waiting to open.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.