What bottle(s) did you open today? (Summer ‘19)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Opened some Elijah Craig Barrel Select, the grenade bottle from the HH Gift Shop. It's pretty good stuff and isn't as hot at 125 proof as I would have expected.

Edited by silverc
  • I like it 3

I've been partaking of my 2018 Weller Blend for some months now. I hadn't intended on making another batch, but after having a nice pour last night, and knowing I was coming to the end of my family sized bottle, I just couldn't help myself. :mellow: Weller SR, Weller 12 and OWA were opened to make batch #4. Or is it batch #5??? :unsure:

Biba! Joe

b1.jpeg

b2.jpeg

b3.jpeg

b4.jpeg

• I like it 3

Bucket list present from my beautiful wife on my 70th birthday last night. 

pvw15.jpg

• I like it 26

19 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I've been partaking of my 2018 Weller Blend for some months now. I hadn't intended on making another batch, but after having a nice pour last night, and knowing I was coming to the end of my family sized bottle, I just couldn't help myself. :mellow: Weller SR, Weller 12 and OWA were opened to make batch #4. Or is it batch #5??? :unsure:

Biba! Joe

b1.jpeg

b2.jpeg

b3.jpeg

b4.jpeg

What proportions of each  do you use?

I use the 3xWA107:WSR:W12 recipe, since I'm saving my OWA107s for a rainy day (heh, heh).  Uncle Joe might be tweeking it a bit now and then, but hey, it's his blend, no?   ?

• I like it 3

20 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

I use the 3xWA107:WSR:W12 recipe, since I'm saving my OWA107s for a rainy day (heh, heh).  Uncle Joe might be tweeking it a bit now and then, but hey, it's his blend, no?   ?

same ratio here, 15oz W107 and 5oz each of WSR and W12 makes one nicely filled bottle.  If using ML I would go 480 W107 and 160 each of WSR and W12 for a bottle + sample pour! 

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

same ratio here, 15oz W107 and 5oz each of WSR and W12 makes one nicely filled bottle.  If using ML I would go 480 W107 and 160 each of WSR and W12 for a bottle + sample pour! 

What are oz?  True science is metric!   ?

1 hour ago, GeeTen said:

What are oz?  True science is metric!   ?

Nope, nope, I ain’t gonna say it.  :ph34r:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, Rick M. said:

What proportions of each  do you use?

Here’s my recipe:

3 parts Weller Antique

1 part Weller 12

1 part  Weller Special Reserve

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

34 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Here’s my recipe:

3 parts Weller Antique

1 part Weller 12

1 part  Weller Special Reserve

Biba! Joe

Serious question.. do you ever regret losing a W12 to this mix?  Is the blend always better than having a straight pour of W12?

32 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Serious question.. do you ever regret losing a W12 to this mix?  Is the blend always better than having a straight pour of W12?

I wouldn't considering that I like OWA about 200% more than W12

• I like it 1

18 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

I wouldn't considering that I like OWA about 200% more than W12

Yup.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, FasterHorses said:

Nope and yup in that order, IMHO.   ?

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, FasterHorses said:

No regrets at all. I like W12, SR, OWA, and my blend. I just prefer my blend a bit more. :)

Biba! Joe

• I like it 5

It would be cool to replace the SR part with Full Proof, to keep the strength of the blend up - of course, the greater density of the FP might require downsizing the amount added.

Haven’t opened one of these in a while it’s good. Not as good as I remember but still good.

IMG_7558.jpg

• I like it 1

12 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Haven’t opened one of these in a while it’s good. Not as good as I remember but still good.

IMG_7558.jpg

Man you overpaid ;)

• I like it 3

IMG_7558.thumb.jpg.0f25065f08a805f15d6dab07aa2e3856.jpg

Incredible price! I think the cheapest I ever found one was around $50 three or four years ago. The cheapest I find it these days is around $65.

Incredible price! I think the cheapest I ever found one was around $50 three or four years ago. The cheapest I find it these days is around $65.

Well that’s a B118 from Oklahoma that technically someone else picked up for me. Apparently Oklahoma has a ton of ECBP.

On 8/5/2019 at 8:39 AM, fosmith said:

Bucket list present from my beautiful wife on my 70th birthday last night. 

pvw15.jpg

This is just the best post in a very long time.  Happy bday man.  

• I like it 7

Been shrinking cellar preparing for a move.  In the process, have been finding all sorts of things I accumulated over time.  Open this store pick Jefferson VOVSB from 2012ish.  Very interesting, almost refined in the smooth subtlety of flavors with a very interesting floral component in the background.  A private barrel ETL from the same era shared that smooth, balanced character.  I guess my palate is enjoying some lower proof pours after being repeatedly bludgeoned by the barrel proofers.

885B6D54-2008-4455-8388-F941ED4CC733.jpeg

90DA3EFD-967A-4283-96B6-153DF040A3BC.jpeg

• I like it 2

fosmith's post earlier this week about his b'day present got me thinking that I hadn't had an OFBB in quite a while, so I took care of that today. 2013 bottle, absolutely delicious and with a splash of water brings out the butterscotch I love so much in both the nose and taste. Nice viscosity, it's a good one to chew on for a bit. The only downside is that the finish is a little too short, but hey, it's Friday!! Woohoo!

OFBB 2013.jpg

• I like it 7

46 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

fosmith's post earlier this week about his b'day present got me thinking that I hadn't had an OFBB in quite a while, so I took care of that today. 2013 bottle, absolutely delicious and with a splash of water brings out the butterscotch I love so much in both the nose and taste. Nice viscosity, it's a good one to chew on for a bit. The only downside is that the finish is a little too short, but hey, it's Friday!! Woohoo!

OFBB 2013.jpg

2013 was one of my favorites. I think they had to put out some good bourbon that year to redeem themselves after the 2012 release.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.