What bottle(s) did you open today? (Summer ‘19)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, LCWoody said:

2013 was one of my favorites. I think they had to put out some good bourbon that year to redeem themselves after the 2012 release.

...AND, it was only about $40!    Days long gone, sad to say.    Sadder yet, the quality of B'Bay Bourbon has slipped as the price has skyrocketed.   

I have a few in a cabinet that will likely never be joined as they slowly slip into oblivion.   I'll mostly enjoy the hell out of 'em as they pass, however.

• I like it 2

On 8/9/2019 at 2:47 PM, Vosgar said:

fosmith's post earlier this week about his b'day present got me thinking that I hadn't had an OFBB in quite a while, so I took care of that today. 2013 bottle, absolutely delicious and with a splash of water brings out the butterscotch I love so much in both the nose and taste. Nice viscosity, it's a good one to chew on for a bit. The only downside is that the finish is a little too short, but hey, it's Friday!! Woohoo!

OFBB 2013.jpg

An all time favorite.

Today I opened:

Old Fitz 11

Woodford Reserve Double Oaked SP

Stagg Jr. 126.4

All were great, I loved the OF11, but the Woodford was a great 2nd, with chocolate and raisins throughout with a creamy mouth feel (forgot to take a pic). The Stagg was great too - FULL of cherries.

Twas a great day ?

Cheers! ?

1A21C6B6-38A8-49D6-91DC-A35F4053BF8D.jpeg

9D01D18F-61C9-482A-AB28-ECEE1DA03624.jpeg

Edited by Bourbon Fanatic
  • I like it 1

fosmith's post earlier this week about his b'day present got me thinking that I hadn't had an OFBB in quite a while, so I took care of that today. 2013 bottle, absolutely delicious and with a splash of water brings out the butterscotch I love so much in both the nose and taste. Nice viscosity, it's a good one to chew on for a bit. The only downside is that the finish is a little too short, but hey, it's Friday!! Woohoo!

OFBB 2013.jpg

GREAT pour! I've had 2013 once. I had a pour of my 2016 the other day, but I don't think it's as good (still great stuff)

Cheers!

My wife took me to a LS in Cleveland to pick some bottles for my birthday, I picked up the Piggyback and OF1920 there, the OS107 was a barrel pick acquired about a week prior. The Jameson couldn't be passed up on sale for $4. I'm enjoying the Piggyback, and REALLY enjoying the OF1920, the Old Scout... not so much. Maybe it needs some time to open, or maybe I was having an off-palate day. 

Birthday 2019.jpg

• I like it 1

It’s Thursday so why not?

8D9D74FD-6135-475C-94A2-914B603DED3F.thumb.jpeg.60104113d1df95aa9ea1c7ee5ae8afc9.jpeg

Some schmutz on the cork - looks like pulverized previously wet, now dried paper - weird 

54D7A1F2-EF91-41A9-AC99-BD015F988A47.thumb.jpeg.7db3e2e99e33a3c18ce70c046de6b259.jpeg

• I like it 6

30 minutes ago, jvd99 said:

It’s Thursday so why not?

8D9D74FD-6135-475C-94A2-914B603DED3F.thumb.jpeg.60104113d1df95aa9ea1c7ee5ae8afc9.jpeg

Some schmutz on the cork - looks like pulverized previously wet, now dried paper - weird 

Nice. Looks like a 2013 holdout. :) 

9 hours ago, jvd99 said:

54D7A1F2-EF91-41A9-AC99-BD015F988A47.thumb.jpeg.7db3e2e99e33a3c18ce70c046de6b259.jpeg

....OR... An alien life form having sought out the very best place on planet Earth to live; but, sadly failed in it's bid to gain entry and then perished 'at the brink' so to speak.    ?

Nah, on second thought; probably not.

• I like it 1

Opened up a MMCS, it has been a while since I have had one of these in the rotation and neighbor that is too long. ? 

Cheers

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Opened up a MMCS, it has been a while since I have had one of these in the rotation and neighbor that is too long. ? 

Cheers

• I like it 4

On 7/23/2019 at 6:45 PM, GaryT said:

Is it age stated?  I recall looking a bottle over earlier this year, but the price ($40 if I recall) for what the label said made me quick set it back down.

I opened the GD BIB after work, and ran a pour through the Vinturi Spirit Aerator (hoping that 'opens up' and counters any "I'm gonna suck since I just came from a sealed bottle").  Still on the oaky side of my preference, but better than I remembered it being last week!  Getting a turtle brownie thing that I'm really digging.

Would love to try, do you know if available in Wisconsin? 

Cracked open this, Taconic Barrel Strength Straight Bourbon. It says it is a "blend of two straight whiskies all aged two years or more" on the back. It's 115 proof and quite good for a craft distillery. I expect they have some older stuff in here, maybe 4 year, because I don't get any of that young corn note so common in under-aged craft stuff, and it is not harsh, even at barrel proof. The nose and taste are not super complex, but I expect it will open a bit. I'm curious to see how their distillate will continue to improve with more age.

Taconic makes several other whiskies, including some wine finished ones. They may be worth checking out in the future. 

IMG_7679.JPG

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

After digging through my stash over the weekend, I was in the mood to open one of these old 12YAS (on back) Elijah Craig’s.

Apparently I just really like Elijah Craig.   Old bottles, new bottles, store picks, all of it.   It’s just a solid pour that’s always kinda reminded me what bourbon should traditionally taste like. 

This particular bottle is quite nice with its sweet vanilla aromas and oaky finish. 

:wub:

F9B12B5D-47DA-45F8-BA86-C5A0E29C0A08.jpeg

• I like it 5

13 hours ago, 0895 said:

After digging through my stash over the weekend, I was in the mood to open one of these old 12YAS (on back) Elijah Craig’s.

Apparently I just really like Elijah Craig.   Old bottles, new bottles, store picks, all of it.   It’s just a solid pour that’s always kinda reminded me what bourbon should traditionally taste like. 

This particular bottle is quite nice with its sweet vanilla aromas and oaky finish. 

:wub:

F9B12B5D-47DA-45F8-BA86-C5A0E29C0A08.jpeg

That has a beautiful color, solid pour.

• I like it 1

OFBB 2013.jpg

Yes the 2013 OFBB was a stunner. Way to go for holding on to one for a while. It's a nice one to find in the bunker for sure

10 yo K&L store pick Elijah Craig Small Batch.  Wow!  Way better than the standard NAS and picks from other stores that I've tried.  K&L's spirits buyers have some pretty good chops, I have to say...

• I like it 1

This is one I have passed by every since I began drinking bourbon thinking “I really need to try that next time” so I finally pulled the trigger. Good stuff, although I have always enjoyed OF stuff.

D97BA6EB-D943-4A2F-86EA-01BF9A069809.jpeg

• I like it 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.