What bottle(s) did you open today? (Summer ‘19)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Since the FR Cult Card requires you to always have a FR bottle open on your bar (the fine print says YL doesn't count) and I'd finished my PS yesterday, opened this one tonight. 

2012 FR.jpg

• I like it 10

1 hour ago, Vosgar said:

Since the FR Cult Card requires you to always have a FR bottle open on your bar (the fine print says YL doesn't count) and I'd finished my PS yesterday, opened this one tonight. 

2012 FR.jpg

Nice - How does it taste?

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Vosgar said:

2012 FR.jpg

This guy gets it. No surprise as a former BOTY.

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, kemosabe said:

Nice - How does it taste?

I have to admit that my first few sips were a little disappointing. It was hot, very dry, with quite a bit of cinnamon spiciness and a number of flavors I couldn't quite pin point that were over powered by the spice. Adding water made a HUGE difference, really opening it up and bringing out a nice cherry in the finish. I still can't tell you what all I was tasting since I'm not very good at that, but it went from disappointing to luscious once I added the water and let it sit for about 10 minutes. I've attached a pic of the back of the bottle so you can see what recipes are in it and what FR gives for tasting notes.

P1050456.JPG

Edited by Vosgar
  • I like it 3

625840835_2012FR.thumb.jpg.690a21eb0e54e75351797eb32202832b.jpg

Well if you finished last night and didn’t open this one until today then your card lapsed since you had a gap between open bottles.[emoji38]
  • I like it 2

43 minutes ago, marshall9779 said:

Well if you finished last night and didn’t open this one until today then your card lapsed since you had a gap between open bottles.emoji38.png

12 hours ago, Vosgar said:

I have to admit that my first few sips were a little disappointing. It was hot, very dry, with quite a bit of cinnamon spiciness and a number of flavors I couldn't quite pin point that were over powered by the spice. Adding water made a HUGE difference, really opening it up and bringing out a nice cherry in the finish. I still can't tell you what all I was tasting since I'm not very good at that, but it went from disappointing to luscious once I added the water and let it sit for about 10 minutes. I've attached a pic of the back of the bottle so you can see what recipes are in it and what FR gives for tasting notes.

Exactly.  

And in order to unofficially reinstate you, I'm gonna need a taste of that 2012.

:)

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, marshall9779 said:

Well if you finished last night and didn’t open this one until today then your card lapsed since you had a gap between open bottles.emoji38.png

Damn! Can't get away with anything around here :D

I suppose another bottle or two of FR needs to be opened to make sure this never happens again.

• I like it 2

On 9/10/2019 at 2:57 PM, Vosgar said:

Damn! Can't get away with anything around here :D

I suppose another bottle or two of FR needs to be opened to make sure this never happens again.

As one of the cult board members I hereby grant you a retroactive 24 hour grace period between bottles due to your former BOTY status which grants you a safety pass.

However, I highly encourage another bottle or two being opened just to be safe!

• I like it 1

As Fishnbowljoe mentioned in another post, he, Galvin0791 and I got together Friday night for a couple drinks. I opened this 2008 EC18 and as I said to the guys then, this one is a dessert bourbon. To me, it was like drinking peppermint candy. Having another pour tonight and nothing's changed. It's good, just a little different, and there's nothing that would make you think it was in a barrel for 18yrs. 

EC18.jpg

• I like it 5

1 hour ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

For the Bears game with a long standing buddy. This is good. 

5CF6CC29-AFDE-4D15-A3B1-9A0C1D2770A4.jpeg

A damn fine ending to that game for your crew!

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, flahute said:

A damn fine ending to that game for your crew!

We needed it too! 

All in all all a great afternoon of football and Whiskey. In addition to WLW there was some Cornerstone, Decades, M10 Rye, 4RSmBSel, Willet 6yr, SAOS 13 yr Dickel. . . All first time tries for my friend which made it even more fun

• I like it 4

On 9/13/2019 at 12:00 AM, flahute said:

As one of the cult board members I hereby grant you a retroactive 24 hour grace period between bottles due to your former BOTY status which grants you a safety pass.

However, I highly encourage another bottle or two being opened just to be safe!

Well Steve, it took me a few days but I finally got around to opening another bottle. I was fortunate enough to be asked to participate in this pick, and must say it's damn good. Biased? Maybe, but I don't care. I like this bottle better than the 2012 LE :oVery oily and delicious at 58% abv, with a little water this one's a killer pick! Bonus......I've got 2 more stashed away :) 

FR.jpg

• I like it 4

Well Steve, it took me a few days but I finally got around to opening another bottle. I was fortunate enough to be asked to participate in this pick, and must say it's damn good. Biased? Maybe, but I don't care. I like this bottle better than the 2012 LE [emoji33]. Very oily and delicious at 58% abv, with a little water this one's a killer pick! Bonus......I've got 2 more stashed away [emoji4] 

FR.thumb.jpg.9d8a336817c720d6dc9ddf664c683181.jpg

Gary, You’ve been holding on to those bottles for awhile! They definitely have some good age on them too. I’m supposed to be picking a barrel in less than two weeks. However, I suspect that I won’t be offered any barrels that old to choose from.

13 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Gary, You’ve been holding on to those bottles for awhile! They definitely have some good age on them too. I’m supposed to be picking a barrel in less than two weeks. However, I suspect that I won’t be offered any barrels that old to choose from.

From the selections I've been able to pick from at FR, age isn't that much of a factor other than the "chewiness" of the whiskey. I've been on 3 picks there so this might not always be the case. My favorite is still the OBSV we did in 2014 that only yielded 70 some bottles from the barrel and it was 11yr 3mo.

Regardless, it's always a fun time!!

Edited by Vosgar
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, Vosgar said:

Well Steve, it took me a few days but I finally got around to opening another bottle. I was fortunate enough to be asked to participate in this pick, and must say it's damn good. Biased? Maybe, but I don't care. I like this bottle better than the 2012 LE :oVery oily and delicious at 58% abv, with a little water this one's a killer pick! Bonus......I've got 2 more stashed away :) 

FR.jpg

Ohhhhhhh, now that looks stellar.

Hmm... Must be something in the air. Just cracked a 10 year 4 month OBSQ myself before logging on to SB for the evening.

00000IMG_00000_BURST20190917204225322_COVER.thumb.jpg.d49dcfedd1e5ee3b2cc37b4702bed031.jpg

• I like it 3

OK, I actually opened this one with my son last week in anticipation of our upcoming barrel pick. I figured I’d share since everyone was flashing bottles of OBSQ...this one is very tasty too, as I’d expect given its provenance.

IMG_0100.JPGIMG_0099.JPG

• I like it 5

Cracked both of these open tonight. One due to peer pressure, the other due to wife pressure. :P

I liked them both. The EW wins on nose. The SJR (batch 9) on flavor.

20190918_192902-784x1613.jpg

20190918_204204-784x1613.jpg

• I like it 5

14 hours ago, mal00768 said:

This barrel was called “Giving 110%” so we’ll see how it goes.

F3322CB0-5CE2-4DC9-9F3F-7D2AE2AB0DED.jpeg

It's a good one - trust me!   ?

JAM Murray Hill Club blend - bottle 796, Batch 18 - which I bought while picking up homemade chili-to-go at our local deli.

It is 103 proof (the MHC, not the chili) but does not have an alcohol-forward heat even when sipped neat.  Mouthfeel is creamy, and the flavor is as complex and as balanced as WT MK Decades which may be easier for some of you to find or which you may have tasted.  It does not have a wood bite.

I found an earlier (21 APR 2018) SB post by Nancy Fraley (master blender for JAM) describing her basic MHC blend as follows: " Don't know how much you know about the MHC Blended Bourbon, but for that bourbon, I take about 20% to 29% of a 9 year old light whiskey (these days more at 20%), and then the majority of the blend has 11 and 12 year old 21% MGP bourbon, with a bit of 19 year old bourbon to give it some depth ."  FWIW, I think this MHC batch is mellower and richer than the much earlier batch I consumed (a 750 of Batch 5, I think, although I've tasted #2 by the glass).  She also posted quite a bit of info on a special release of MHC and about JAM bourbons on the SB thread titled "Anyone tried or know about" JAM?  The whole thread is a great refresher on blending/vatting/finishing.  I'd forgotten about it.

• I like it 3

On 9/17/2019 at 6:25 PM, Vosgar said:

FR.jpg

I've been stretching this one out from the same LS.  119.8 proof. 

Were you part of this pick also?

20190920_215949.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.