What bottle(s) did you open today? (Summer ‘19)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Trying something new tonight, as there is finally room in the opened section of my cabinet. Just hope it is as good as it looks. 

3EAF3A67-16AD-4BA5-BB88-B56A5EB38CDC.jpeg

• I like it 1

Newly acquired RRSiB Pick from the ‘Lou. Poured and smells heavenly, hustling to take the pup around the block so I can get back and drink it!

24994579-766E-4CCD-9B4F-5FB65D2B4C4B.jpeg

• I like it 7

This is hot. Big sips yield ethanol. Small sips provide the Weller wheated profile I was after. Only one pour for today, now to the back of the cabinet to be shared with friends or pulled out on special occasions. IMG_20191206_185203776.jpg

• I like it 9

Went deep into the bunker for this plastic handle.  Remember this guy?  HH Gold Label BIB.  Punches well above its price point—good stuff.

BCEBF3A9-CF74-4568-9840-DA9D060342F6.jpeg

• I like it 6

Well worth the (roughly) MSRP price of entry. Excellent pour! I’ve only had the opportunity to try to the 2017 release at a bar prior to acquiring this and they both are phenomenal. 

68AE19FB-11C2-4BD9-9B19-FC682A65662D.jpeg

• I like it 2

I opened up my 'new' bottle of Old Fitz BIB (15-year) and did an informal side-by-side with the other one I have from a couple years ago (11-year).    Nobody would say they aren't very similar.    I liked the 11-year quite well, though a bargain it wasn't.   Neither was this new one (same price... yet I caved and took out the wallet - - go figure).   

Result of the SBS was the new one came out a little ahead due to a slightly longer finish and a noticeable butterscotch note on the nose and in the palate.   Though the 15 does exhibit a bit more wood (expected) it wasn't as dry or oaky as I feared, in fact the oak was managed pretty well and decently integrated with the lighter, sweeter notes.   Still no bargain, though!

• I like it 3

On 12/6/2019 at 8:51 PM, jwperry said:

This is hot. Big sips yield ethanol. Small sips provide the Weller wheated profile I was after. Only one pour for today, now to the back of the cabinet to be shared with friends or pulled out on special occasions. IMG_20191206_185203776.jpg

This is hot. Big sips yield ethanol. Small sips provide the Weller wheated profile I was after.

What did you expect, this is a heavy hitter and one of the most intense bourbon experiences you'll find anywhere.  You are wise to set it at the back of the cabinet for now and come back to it later when you are fully ready to appreciate the total experience this one has to offer.   Trust me, you'll be glad you did later.   Enjoy! 

• I like it 3

This is hot. Big sips yield ethanol. Small sips provide the Weller wheated profile I was after.

What did you expect, this is a heavy hitter and one of the most intense bourbon experiences you'll find anywhere.  You are wise to set it at the back of the cabinet for now and come back to it later when you are fully ready to appreciate the total experience this one has to offer.   Trust me, you'll be glad you did later.   Enjoy! 
Honestly? Wasn't sure what to expect. I won it in a raffle and the evaluation they had on it was $830. I guess I thought I should be able to chug it without puckering for a bottle valued that high, lol.

After doing some looking around on my other opened bottles, this is the highest proof I have in my cabinet. Next closest is JD SiB BP or ECBP A119. Otherwise all my high proof stuff is between 110-120.

6 hours ago, jwperry said:

Honestly? Wasn't sure what to expect. I won it in a raffle and the evaluation they had on it was $830. I guess I thought I should be able to chug it without puckering for a bottle valued that high, lol.

After doing some looking around on my other opened bottles, this is the highest proof I have in my cabinet. Next closest is JD SiB BP or ECBP A119. Otherwise all my high proof stuff is between 110-120.

Always remember: SMALL sips of a high-proof, intense Bourbon are the best way to start... and usually the best way to drink period. 

Also, don't forget adding a bit water, a few drops at a time, can bring down the heat; and even 'open up' the Bourbon to an even lovelier experience ....sometimes.

• I like it 2

Buy two batches each of Booker's, ECBP, and Stagg Jr.

Drink through all 6 bottles slowly until you figure out exactly how much water you like to add to find the sweet spot of your barrel proof bourbon.

THEN drink the WLW, with your newfound experience.

• I like it 5

Been waiting to open this one, and today is the day. 

E25004FD-1185-4387-93EB-823F54A25220.jpeg

Edited by Radioyada
  • I like it 9

E25004FD-1185-4387-93EB-823F54A25220.thumb.jpeg.2c04f949a5c3dbc2134e675abfa3b958.jpeg

Anything special or just because? Thoughts?
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, Radioyada said:

E25004FD-1185-4387-93EB-823F54A25220.jpeg

I just opened the 19 version the other day. Cheers. 

• I like it 1

19 minutes ago, marshall9779 said:

Anything special or just because? Thoughts?

Today was just a great day, and after having that EHT AGOG at brunch I decided that this bottle would be the closer.

This '19 bottle is as good as any of the others I have had.  Always one of my favorite pours.

• I like it 2

Decided to open this bottle which has been a Christmas decoration the last few years for me, I have a few of these liberated from a local store, 1990 Beam is much more like 1970's beam than 2010's Beam, heavy on the maple not so much the peanuts. 

y4mBXJ7cvcy6skaAWA6Drj4UsNqpHuQLNPMf2N5Y

• I like it 6

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

Decided to open this bottle which has been a Christmas decoration the last few years for me, I have a few of these liberated from a local store, 1990 Beam is much more like 1970's beam than 2010's Beam, heavy on the maple not so much the peanuts. y4mBXJ7cvcy6skaAWA6Drj4UsNqpHuQLNPMf2N5Y

Maple. Hmmm. I'm gonna have to apply my Canadian tastebuds and start looking for that in my Beam...

• I like it 2

7 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

Maple. Hmmm. I'm gonna have to apply my Canadian tastebuds and start looking for that in my Beam...

I don't know that I've ever gotten it in modern Beam but it's definitely a prominent note to me in dusty Beam.

• I like it 1

5 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

I don't know that I've ever gotten it in modern Beam but it's definitely a prominent note to me in dusty Beam.

Well, the old Beam's Choice, if that's what you're thinking about, was filtered with maple charcoal, Tennessee style...

Definitely get it there.

• I like it 2

40 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

Well, the old Beam's Choice, if that's what you're thinking about, was filtered with maple charcoal, Tennessee style...

Definitely get it there.

Didn't actually know that, still learning things here!

• I like it 2

On 12/11/2019 at 5:08 PM, The Black Tot said:

Definitely get it there.

I’m not sure it’s actually “Tennessee style”.  Simply stated “Charcoal Filtered” on a label most often times confused with the LCP.  Chuck posts here on the Beam’s Choice.   

https://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/2010/01/blame-jack.html?m=1

Could be a vat of maple charcoal aka LCP, but I’m thinking it’s most likely activated charcoal dump during Chill filtering.

• I like it 1

44 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

I’m not sure it’s actually “Tennessee style”.  Simply stated “Charcoal Filtered” on a label most often times confused with the LCP.  Chuck posts here on the Beam’s Choice.   

https://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/2010/01/blame-jack.html?m=1

Could be a vat of maple charcoal aka LCP, but I’m thinking it’s most likely activated charcoal dump during Chill filtering.

Very interesting.

I was mostly going on the flavor similarities, which Chuck suggests in that article are fairly certainly intentional!

I love this stuff especially around Christmas for some reason. I guess because it goes well with baked treats. (Just got back to the house after a Christmas party)

Resized_20191214_232124.jpeg

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.