What bottle(s) did you open today? (Summer ‘19)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just another daily pour or that unicorn you've been searching for?  Let us know.

Picked up this one a while back. 

First impression, good viscosity, enough age. A good bottle. Maybe my old standby is starting to return to it's old self. 

Cheers

IMG_3387.JPG

• I like it 2

From earlier this week. Liking it so far. Not crazy abt the price. 

55FB24C5-01C5-4729-84F0-2F897F5198AF.jpeg

• I like it 1

Wow.

I am truly impressed by how good this is. 

Very oak and fruit forward. 

Well balanced, rich, and full flavored. 

Hug is firm and on point like a good solid friendship. 

I understand MGP bourbon isn’t everyone’s cup O’ tea, but it’s definitely mine!

D6567E54-47AD-4A0C-A5C0-CF6A43EA46DE.jpeg

• I like it 3

Been waiting to open this for years . . . and reminded myself that I ain't getting any younger (and it ain't getting any better), so cracked the last of my wax-topped HHSS from the first SB barrel . . . wax was a bit of a pain but got 'er done!  Now for a little side by side with #1 & #2 :D 

IMG_20190623_145405.thumb.jpg.5d36fa6b1fe79677c9a1df52ac04e3aa.jpg          IMG_20190623_145747.thumb.jpg.ce326b1f36e2005d3e7767aeefdee941.jpg

• I like it 11

2 minutes ago, GaryT said:

Been waiting to open this for years . . . and reminded myself that I ain't getting any younger (and it ain't getting any better), so cracked the last of my wax-topped HHSS from the first SB barrel . . . wax was a bit of a pain but got 'er done!  Now for a little side by side with #1 & #2 :D 

IMG_20190623_145405.thumb.jpg.5d36fa6b1fe79677c9a1df52ac04e3aa.jpg          IMG_20190623_145747.thumb.jpg.ce326b1f36e2005d3e7767aeefdee941.jpg

Whoa! This makes me wish I was around sooner.

• I like it 1

33 minutes ago, mal00768 said:

I finally gave in.

1361E143-374F-4842-A85E-C9ABB6693FFB.jpeg

That’s a fabulous bourbon. I have one that is in service and one in the bunker. 

37 minutes ago, graftonbc1 said:

That’s a fabulous bourbon. I have one that is in service and one in the bunker. 

It is definitely my ride or die bottle. (Please don’t say anything to Rare Breed.)

Edited by mal00768
  • I like it 1

You can always find room to take Rare Breed along for the ride. One of my favorite tastings with friends is Rare Breed, Kentucky Spirit, and a Russel’s Barrel Select. 

• I like it 4

Went into the archives last night to open some oldies but goodies.  Back to the days when store selections of ETL sat on shelves at $25, and EWSB was around 10 years old or more.  It’s a shame when I hear people badmouth ETL these days, because they paid significantly more for lesser barrels.  But back in the day, it was terrific stuff for a steal.

Anyway, had pours of both, and they are as good as I remember.  The EWSB really sings at 10 years old, and I just won’t get into the younger barrels they put out now.  Fortunately, I still have a stockpile of these older bottles.

CD49B922-5C8C-43F8-B868-976868FCB883.jpeg

Edited by jeffrey r
  • I like it 12

I'll try this again...2016 Hancocks.  Really enjoying this.

spacer.png

• I like it 6

On 6/28/2019 at 8:02 PM, FasterHorses said:

I'll try this again...2016 Hancocks.  Really enjoying this.

spacer.png

I think that was about the last time I remember seeing it around here.

Gone now, like a fart in the wind.  :)

It's pretty good stuff, and a nice change of pace from the other 3.

34 minutes ago, 0895 said:

I think that was about the last time I remember seeing it around here.

Gone now, like a fart in the wind.  :)

It's pretty good stuff, and a nice change of pace from the other 3.

The lower proof does not hurt this one. I didnt get the pear notes that blacktot mentions though. 

May grab a couple more since Blantons has become just as scarce. 

It’s actually been a while since I’ve had a new Russells reserve single barrel. Scratching that itch tonight

3B2038C4-F0EB-413F-83BD-0A7E1117AAE0.jpeg

• I like it 3

An OBSO 4RPS from 2014. This one exemplifies the difference between daily pours and special pours. I love and enjoy WT 101, OGD BIB, HH6BIB, RITT rye... Bourbon of the calibre of this 4R is simply on a different level, Deeply flavorful , complex and satisfying in every single way. Bourbons such as these reinforce why we all get so passionate about our native spirit.

• I like it 2

Not yet; but in a few hours 'the tasting panel' (several local customers, Bourbon aficionados, as well as the owner, that gather periodically to select barrels for my preferred proprietor) will pick a barrel of 1792, and I'll open a SAOS pick from several years ago that I never got around to trying.   IT's 9-years old, and 107.2-proof.    I'll post later about it.   High hopes.

D2AF33FD-8F8E-4617-B75A-BD4A55BD8DFD.thumb.jpeg.8f32b5d04b530f035ccee4bb16924955.jpegActually opened this a couple of weeks ago...er back in my drinking day. After a hiatus we’ll get back together. This was so impressive when I got a sample taste I broke down and picked up a bottle. The best SiB SPs I’ve tasted all rolled into the perfect blend. For my little buddies the best of WT easily.

• I like it 7

12 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Not yet; but in a few hours 'the tasting panel' (several local customers, Bourbon aficionados, as well as the owner, that gather periodically to select barrels for my preferred proprietor) will pick a barrel of 1792, and I'll open a SAOS pick from several years ago that I never got around to trying.   IT's 9-years old, and 107.2-proof.    I'll post later about it.   High hopes.

Having done the duty and shared a few other nice pours with the folx doing said duty, I shall now report as promised...

That bottle of SAOS was/is EXCELLENT!    I have no excuse about why it languished in my closet for waaaaay too long; but, suffice it to say; 'It won't lay around anywhere near that long now that it's open'.   It is a wonderfully well-balanced pour and drinks more like low-nineties Bourbon than 107+.   A little sweeter than I expected; but not too sweet, and a great smooth caramel-y mouthfeel.

Oh, also...... the 1792 samples (only 3, as expected) were all at least good, in fact two were above average.   A decision is yet to made about whether the bottled juice will be Full Proof or BIB.

• I like it 2

Started the day early with a small sip of  Prestige, a true bottom-shelfer at $9. It is a KSBW, and 3yrs old, but it's 80 proof. Pretty crappy stuff but still as good or better than a lot of craft bourbon I've tried. I opened it to make some BBQ sauce for later and it did a pretty good job for that.

Later, while tending the grill, I cracked open another KCSB pick I got late last year in KY. This is a liquor barn pick, 14 year "This is for the Hustler". It's pretty good and not surprisingly quite oaky. Went well with the BBQ chicken thighs.

IMG_4342.JPG

IMG_4345.JPG

Edited by silverc
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.