Heaven Hill 7 Year BIB

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, Jazzhead said:

Beam?   Ripping folks off?     I just picked up a Distiller's Cut for $20.99,  and the Pennsy state stores have had the Double Oak on sale all month for $16.99.  And the Black for no more than $25.99?     Those are some of the best values for GOOD whiskey,  IMO, in the business!

I didn't mean to imply that HH isn't still an excellent source of SOME brands that are reasonably priced and SOME of 'em are still a very good price/value proposition.

You mention Beam brands that are as well, though the prices you cite are close to half what is asked here in Michigan, except for DC, which as about $5 more here.    Beam was obvious in their gratuitously nearly doubling the price of Booker's a little while back before getting royally roasted by many, many people, and seeing sales fall precipitously on the brand, before relenting some and dropping the price by about $25 in most markets.     Beam's decision to make Baker's a single barrel offering and steeply increase the price of an already overpriced brand hurt me deeply, since I was (and continue to be) a true fanboy of that brand; but, won't be buying any more of it.     Beam did a similar number to the Booker's fiasco on OGD-114, though on a smaller scale, and was similarly burned by the market before relenting and moderating the price rise; but that brand was priced in a much lower segment and the raise wasn't nearly double. 

My point was that HH is taking away a very much favored brand (HH-6, BIB, albeit removing from an admittedly limited market), and replacing it with the very same Bourbon, merely aged an additional year and re-labeled, and offering it in some different limited markets.   ...Along with recent upward trends in pricing of some other popular HH brands.     HH still offers some wonderfully priced and very well-made brands including some of the old traditional BIB's, though many aren't widely distributed.

I've been thinking about this a bit more and I just can't get over how often the big distilleries have tried to adjust prices so quickly in the last few years. 10%, or even 15%, increases per year would be one thing, but quadrupling the price is wild.

Such a swing from underpriced to overpriced in one fell swoop.

I'll admit that I'm kind of dumbfounded by this one, at $30 I would have thought they were pushing it but would have gone along since clearly they had under priced things below the market, but to repeat something I stated elsewhere, at this point Luxco is offering better value for (assuming) HH bourbon than HH is. If your missing Old Fitz BIB buy David Nicholson White or RY 100, if you miss HH 6 BIB buy DN Black or buy Ezra 7 year BP and add some water (water is much cheaper than bourbon last I checked), missed out on the last Old Fitz Decanter well get a RY 10 yr for half the price. 

• I like it 6

7 hours ago, Shizzy said:

I feel like all the fuss over HMcK 10 is blown out of proportion.  There once was a huge run on OGD 114 when it was rumored that it would be going away.  Once again...it sits on shelves collecting dust.  Some other bourbon will win the spirits award and HMcK will no longer be the golden bottle.  Just my two cents.

OGD114 collects dust?

We now live in an age where if a bourbon is regularly available (which is what we all claim to want) that it now gets criticized for collecting dust?

Does the only bourbon worth having need to be constantly hustled for?

I don’t understand where you are coming from.

A bit of a let down the price.  Anything priced higher than WT 101 had better be just spectacular ?

• I like it 4

At an SRP of approximately $40, I’d likely pass on this one if it was available in my area. The 6yr BIB was certainly underpriced, but at $40 for a 7yr BIB, they’ve now gone to the other extreme. This should have priced in the $25-$30 price range.

• I like it 8

15 hours ago, flahute said:

OGD114 collects dust?

We now live in an age where if a bourbon is regularly available (which is what we all claim to want) that it now gets criticized for collecting dust?

Does the only bourbon worth having need to be constantly hustled for?

I don’t understand where you are coming from.

Wasn't intended to offend.  It's merely an observation of my local stores.  I rather enjoy OGD 114 and always have it in my rotation.  It was more an indictment of how the masses chase the latest award winners as though they'll be the next pappy and net them a windfall on the secondary market.

There seems to be a lot of disappointment comparing this to the 6y product's price point. But I can't blame HH or some of the local distributors for that matter. If these brands are selling every bottle that hit the shelves and then 30% of those bottles are being flipped on a secondary market for 150% value and up, they're leaving money on the table. Who is to blame, the distiller/distributor or the secondary market? 

Maybe I'm new to bourbon-ing or maybe I've helped grow a few small businesses, but it is a lot easier to roll a price back than it is to increase it based on market demand. 

• I like it 1

1 minute ago, jwperry said:

It is a lot easier to roll a price back than it is to increase it based on market demand. 

You are absolutely correct on both counts.   But, I'm not all that certain 'market trends' isn't sometimes just a euphemistically used term for good old greed, when prices rise more than about 20% at a pop.   As far as reacting backwards when the market indicates it's displeasure, I'm sure Beam/Suntory will agree with that assessment.

• I like it 3

10 hours ago, Shizzy said:

Wasn't intended to offend.  It's merely an observation of my local stores.  I rather enjoy OGD 114 and always have it in my rotation.  It was more an indictment of how the masses chase the latest award winners as though they'll be the next pappy and net them a windfall on the secondary market.

You did not offend! Sorry if my words looked that way.

I agree with everything else you said. 

• I like it 1

I’m not a buyer at $40. Based on my experience with the HH6, there are better options at (and below) that range if they’re just adding a year of aging to the same barrels. I’m more than happy to let others seek these bottles out.

• I like it 1

On 6/25/2019 at 1:10 PM, jwperry said:

There seems to be a lot of disappointment comparing this to the 6y product's price point. But I can't blame HH or some of the local distributors for that matter. If these brands are selling every bottle that hit the shelves and then 30% of those bottles are being flipped on a secondary market for 150% value and up, they're leaving money on the table. Who is to blame, the distiller/distributor or the secondary market? 

Maybe I'm new to bourbon-ing or maybe I've helped grow a few small businesses, but it is a lot easier to roll a price back than it is to increase it based on market demand. 

Until they announced the 6 yr was going away, it was never hard to find (and I never saw it on the secondary market).  I mean - it did leap from $11 to $13 over the last couple of years, but I bought 10 bottles from one store just for an experiment; and I didn't clear them out (and on that trip).  That was April 2018, before the announcement.  

I'm not disagreeing that they saw an opportunity to increase profits, and should jump on it - but it wasn't the secondary market driving it.  I don't begrudge HH for getting $40 for it if they can; although I do worry about the precedent it starts to set (which is to yank a product, drive up demand, and then re-release it with a new label/marginal improvement at 3x the price).  But to your point - if demand isn't there - they'll bring it back to reality.  Beam stepped back from the $100 Bookers after the backlash - maybe HH will find a similar situation.

• I like it 3

5 minutes ago, GaryT said:

Until they announced the 6 yr was going away, it was never hard to find (and I never saw it on the secondary market).  I mean - it did leap from $11 to $13 over the last couple of years, but I bought 10 bottles from one store just for an experiment; and I didn't clear them out (and on that trip).  That was April 2018, before the announcement.  

I'm not disagreeing that they saw an opportunity to increase profits, and should jump on it - but it wasn't the secondary market driving it.  I don't begrudge HH for getting $40 for it if they can; although I do worry about the precedent it starts to set (which is to yank a product, drive up demand, and then re-release it with a new label/marginal improvement at 3x the price).  But to your point - if demand isn't there - they'll bring it back to reality.  Beam stepped back from the $100 Bookers after the backlash - maybe HH will find a similar situation.

I think this is more or less exactly correct. So far HH, Beam, etc. have for the most part gotten their price increases correct in the sense that people are willing to pay the new prices. They're not going to get them all right (like with Booker's). I selfishly hope this is one of those cases but we'll have to wait and see. 

• I like it 1

Smells like Tater Bait!  HH will sell every bottle of this and get their price.   

Great discussion!  

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.