What Dram Are You Enjoying Summer 2019

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

42 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Are you in Phoenix? It can happen in other places but it happens in Phoenix on a regular basis in the summer. High heat means less dense air. Less dense air means less lift. Less lift means your plane becomes a really odd looking bus,. That becomes really undesirable when you reach the end of the runway...

On the plus side it means time for more whisky!

No-- Westchester County, New York where it was maybe 80 degrees-- tops. Thanks for the information though, does makes sense.

19 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Picked this up today and decided to give it a try this evening. I have to say that this is probably one of the best bottles of Scotch that I’ve ever had!
IMG_6337.jpg

I have continued to struggle with the Batch No. 4 after multiple attempts-- so I won't be joining you (although the Day of Dark Barley sounds interesting).

• I like it 1

I have continued to struggle with the Batch No. 4 after multiple attempts-- so I won't be joining you (although the Day of Dark Barley sounds interesting).

The Day of Dark Barley sounds good to me too, but pushing the price point beyond where I’m occasionally willing to go!

Sadly this has unfortunately gone from really expensive to "no thanks, not even at retail" for me.

I figured after I sprang for Compass Box Tobias and the Angel, this was relatively a bargain!

Just remember Rich, you have to take into consideration that Jeff is a big fan of Dickel...... [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

So in other words Gary, you’re saying I have great tastes in whiskey! [emoji106][emoji3]
  • I like it 3

13 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

So in other words Gary, you’re saying I have great tastes in whiskey! emoji106.pngemoji3.png

Checks out to me ;) 

• I like it 1

Cracked open my Port Charlotte 10yr HP and Knappogue Castle 12yr Marsala Cask Finish.  Long day so no studied notes, but neither disappointed.  Just wanted to make a brief acquaintance before spending more quality time together this weekend (is there such a thing as whiskey foreplay?)  :)  

The KC is one of the cloudiest bottles I've ever had (NCF which is pretty evident; I think the only one I've owned that was more cloudy was a Jefferson's 10yr Rye that looked like shredded kleenex was included at no extra charge).

IMG_20190711_184709.thumb.jpg.c813221204d3f16110eefb23c4651b4b.jpg

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Are you in Phoenix? It can happen in other places but it happens in Phoenix on a regular basis in the summer. High heat means less dense air. Less dense air means less lift. Less lift means your plane becomes a really odd looking bus,. That becomes really undesirable when you reach the end of the runway...

On the plus side it means time for more whisky!

You must have learned that delivery from this guy. Right before you eliminated him and made it look like an accident...Peace Corps my patoot!!  :D

3 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

So in other words Gary, you’re saying I have great tastes in whiskey! emoji106.pngemoji3.png

Yeah.......that's it.............that's exactly what I was going for :P :D

• I like it 1

Aged 2 years in first fill Australian red wine casks, apparently rich with previous content. At 41%, it is super soft and sweet— I’m going to try a 50/50 combo with gin for grins. At least it’s priced well and unlike anything else I can think of. 

82A914B5-861B-4BE6-B93A-A932897B2A49.thumb.jpeg.aa008fdcaa7bbe702ff9a39ce911358e.jpeg

Sat down with my Knappogue Castle 12yr Marsala Cask Finish this morning.  Hadn't ever had a Marsala finished or matured whisky before; it is interesting.  I'm not sure if Marsala is just incredibly dominant or if they finished it a wee-bit longer than I'd have liked.  It's good, but the Marsala is a bit more heavy handed than I prefer for a cask finish.  Nose has some raisins, dried apricots, honey, vanilla, cut grass and Marsala.  On the palate it is thick (love me that NCF) with raisins, honey, caramel, some canned fruit, and Marsala.  It is giving me a hankering for some good chicken or veal marsala.  Nothing objectionable - but the marsala is so front/center, have to work a bit to get at what's underneath.  

• I like it 1

Friends over last night for a casual grill out while the kids played in the basement, and we enjoyed a few wee drams, including:

Great King's Street DBH pick

Balvenie 12 American Oak

Springbank 10

Bunnahabhain 12

Talisker Distillers Edition 2015

My friend also wanted to try some of the Stagg Jr. Batch 9.

His wife drove home.

• I like it 1

Had a Fine Drams 3cl Octomore 7.2 sample today.  It was good but lesser than what I get from Laphroiag 2018 Cask Strength.  No desire to chase the Octomore down at some premium plus overseas shipping when I can get the Laphroaig around $60.

Maybe I have a naive palate and if so, that's fine with me.  Anything to help forestall price creep is cool.

On 7/11/2019 at 1:50 PM, Marekv8 said:

No-- Westchester County, New York where it was maybe 80 degrees-- tops. Thanks for the information though, does makes sense.

Was it that your plane never made it to the airport because it was too hot where it was coming from?

4 hours ago, flahute said:

Was it that your plane never made it to the airport because it was too hot where it was coming from?

No, it had arrived on time and my bags were even loaded on board. I was on stand-by along with a few others and they refused us all, departing with at least 5 seats open.

15 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

No, it had arrived on time and my bags were even loaded on board. I was on stand-by along with a few others and they refused us all, departing with at least 5 seats open.

Sounds odd indeed. Maybe a weight issue? Or it could just be the typical industry wide airline policy that every now and then they are entitled to screw with you for no particular reason!

14 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Sounds odd indeed. Maybe a weight issue? Or it could just be the typical industry wide airline policy that every now and then they are entitled to screw with you for no particular reason!

It was a smaller regional jet-- so hopefully it was weight-related. More than likely, it was the gal on the Diamond line promising me something that was impossible in order to score her 5-star review.

had a share yesterday, captured a few of the drams 

9E4843A0-3C9C-41E2-9599-FD5F19F04964.thumb.jpeg.f09b1cf96eb00fba2fba00eb5bb2d0d3.jpeg

1499FE0B-80F5-4C76-84CD-B159D8FECD84.thumb.jpeg.8eb1710095a1bcad3d612ab81662018b.jpeg

Wow! That was a very nice selection for tasting!
  • I like it 1

Picked up Walsh Whiskey's Writers Tears - one Double Oak and one Pot Still.  Really nice with a cube or to while sitting outside as the evening cools off (well, gets relatively cooler).

23 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

it's taken a few years of pushing folks along but i've got a solid core group of three close friends who are all getting fairly serious about malt. i intend to host get-togethers like this at least twice a year moving forward...

• I like it 2

23 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

The water I get but PBR?  Is that there for irony or is it a GOT moment....?

• I like it 1

For something completely different today, having a pour of Bruichladdich's The Classic Laddie. Nothing spectacular, but a nice pour every once in a while. I always get pears with a peppery finish with this one. I add a splash of water, which seems to open it up a bit and at 50% abv doesn't bother it at all.

Still can't believe I found 2 of these last year, in Bardstown of all places, for $27.99 each :) 

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Vosgar said:

For something completely different today, having a pour of Bruichladdich's The Classic Laddie. Nothing spectacular, but a nice pour every once in a while. I always get pears with a peppery finish with this one. I add a splash of water, which seems to open it up a bit and at 50% abv doesn't bother it at all.

Still can't believe I found 2 of these last year, in Bardstown of all places, for $27.99 each :) 

I remember that!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.