What Dram Are You Enjoying Summer 2019

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was forbidden from taking pics, but an officially bottled Glen Moray 8yo CS finished in Apple Cider casks (so failed to qualify as Scotch Whisky).

Interesting, but the previous content influence was too strong. 

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

I was forbidden from taking pics, but an officially bottled Glen Moray 8yo CS finished in Apple Cider casks (so failed to qualify as Scotch Whisky).

Interesting, but the previous content influence was too strong. 

Intriguing, especially if it is in line with their normal pricing. The 100% Chardonnay Cask maturation they did a couple years back was definitely over the top influence wise but I liked it all the same, was actually one of my favorite whiskies that year a particularly good malt for late spring through early fall.  

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

Intriguing, especially if it is in line with their normal pricing. The 100% Chardonnay Cask maturation they did a couple years back was definitely over the top influence wise but I liked it all the same, was actually one of my favorite whiskies that year a particularly good malt for late spring through early fall.  

Becky Paskin from scotchwhisky.com had brought the bottle over as a wild card for the seminar, but the labeling/liquid was not SWA approved so was probably never actually for sale. 

• I like it 1

1 minute ago, Marekv8 said:

Becky Paskin from scotchwhisky.com had brought the bottle over as a wild card for the seminar, but the labeling/liquid was not SWA approved so was probably never actually for sale. 

Shame, thanks for the info regardless

1 minute ago, kevinbrink said:

Shame, thanks for the info regardless

I’ll try to get some better info for you, she literally lunged at the empty bottle when I tried to take a pic of it. 

Lots of odd things over the course of the event, including the Fernet-Branca challenge coin with the unbelievable typo— making it the “Inverted Jenny” of bartender culture.

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

I’ll try to get some better info for you, she literally lunged at the empty bottle when I tried to take a pic of it. 

Lots of odd things over the course of the event, including the Fernet-Branca challenge coin with the unbelievable typo— making it the “Inverted Jenny” of bartender culture.

The unbelievable part being???

3 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

EB477D21-53BF-45CA-9CE4-18A065D9C513.thumb.jpeg.911ccec081d3e9724c35b9dc9271b830.jpeg

Ah! Probably how alligators spell it...

32 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Ah! Probably how alligators spell it...

You sure Serge from Beverly Hills Cop wasn’t in charge of the Cocktials?  :D

• I like it 1

Another trick bag Balvenie with a secondary tube covered in marketing fluff.   Nice density of flavor for 43%, but the chill filtration (I assume) clobbered the mouthfeel and finish. Good news is that it’s not sweet nor artificially woody in a Michter’s toasted oak kinda way. 

3904A3EC-4774-4D2A-9BEE-93D08BA665A4.thumb.jpeg.e5ce49bd596124d97a2c140f379e612e.jpeg

Had a little gathering with a few friends yesterday, it was for bourbon but turned into an Irish tasting also. The absolute best of the Irish. Wow!!! The RB 25y is a cask strength store pick. 

A478FCED-0965-4FE2-BEF6-285C1E9B8FB3.thumb.jpeg.be6c18dab5ff7f9f65ae45a770c8db3f.jpeg

• I like it 6

Had a little gathering with a few friends yesterday, it was for bourbon but turned into an Irish tasting also. The absolute best of the Irish. Wow!!! The RB 25y is a cask strength store pick. 
A478FCED-0965-4FE2-BEF6-285C1E9B8FB3.thumb.jpeg.be6c18dab5ff7f9f65ae45a770c8db3f.jpeg

Those are some serious Irish contenders! So, how did they rank?

12 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Those are some serious Irish contenders! So, how did they rank?

Everyone there, excepted for me, said RB25y was the best, but I was a little different. to me the Jameson Vintage was the best, then Midleton BC Legacy, RB25y, RB21y, then RB12y.

But, I wouldn't kick any of them out the bed..... All were very good to very Excellent. 

• I like it 1

Everyone there, excepted for me, said RB25y was the best, but I was a little different. to me the Jameson Vintage was the best, then Midleton BC Legacy, RB25y, RB21y, then RB12y.
But, I wouldn't kick any of them out the bed..... All were very good to very Excellent. 

I have a Midleton BC Legacy (haven’t opened it yet) along with the RB12y cask strength, that I like a lot, but I haven’t had the pleasure of trying those older Red Breasts or the Jameson Vintage. Your post did make me want some older Irish whiskey though, so I had a pour from my bottle of 2015 Midleton Very Rare last night...such an easy drinker.
  • I like it 1

Today was a particularly rough day at work, I came home and had a tiny pour of Highland Park 12, which was easily the the best taste of whiskey I've had in quite some time, not sure if the few other tiny pours I tried have helped fix the palate or if it was just the desperate need for something to go well but I'll take it.

• I like it 2

20 hours ago, LCWoody said:

So, your preference went to those with ex-Bourbon wood aging.

12 hours ago, Rick M. said:

So, your preference went to those with ex-Bourbon wood aging.

I guess, I didn't realize that. I'm not that informed about Irish whiskey, just getting into it. But that might be why...... 

13 hours ago, LCWoody said:

I guess, I didn't realize that. I'm not that informed about Irish whiskey, just getting into it. But that might be why...... 

You’d probably like Powers John’s Lane 12.

• I like it 1

A generous pour of Glenmorangie 10 at the Delta Club on my way to the Brother from Another Motherland.

FA37571E-B781-42FE-AE0E-0B590A63720C.thumb.jpeg.bfed710931e805ecf68ad2005b361288.jpeg

I’m going through a bunch of samples tonight (Glen Moray Port, Glenno 14 Port, ....) and none are really hitting the spot.

Back to the drawing board.

Royal Salute 21 from a 5cL mini red ceramic decanter… a fun hotel room fling, should have bought a pair.

IMG_2050.jpg.thumb.jpg.203ba601da704ebe2c9cbcccfaad163a.jpg

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Royal Salute 21 from a 5cL mini red ceramic decanter… a fun hotel room fling, should have bought a pair.

IMG_2050.jpg.thumb.jpg.203ba601da704ebe2c9cbcccfaad163a.jpg

I'd have done the same, I'm a sucker for cool minis. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.