What Dram Are You Enjoying Summer 2019

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

"Proprietary Cocktail No. 25" from The Good Spirits Co. in Glasgow. A solera blend housed in a quarter cask within the store containing a variety of cask strength malts teaspooned with orange bitters and vermouth as to qualify as a cocktail (54% ABV) to keep the SWA happy. What fun.

IMG_2271.thumb.jpg.eae66d7df95f4ff0575014174995b0c7.jpg

• I like it 1

Gary unintentionally inspired me to open a bottle of 18yr Tomatin this afternoon, which was a very nice pour, and from there I continued on the sherry bomb train with a hefty pour of Glenfarclas 105! I’m taking a break for dinner, but trying to decide whether I continue with another sherry bomb or move on to something else later this evening.

2 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Gary unintentionally inspired me to open a bottle of 18yr Tomatin this afternoon

I'm pretty good at doing things unintentionally :blink: 

• I like it 1

On 8/3/2019 at 4:02 PM, Marekv8 said:

A “traditional” albeit NAS version of Ben Nevis— smoky, oily/mineral and gutsy. Picked it up on a whim, and very glad I did. 

F234D244-9C74-4A4C-991D-1C2159A1AABB.thumb.jpeg.95565e7f0772e3c80c89f9b8a23612dc.jpeg

Oh man, I didn't know this existed, but instant MUST have for being my surname - I'm off to hit up my UK co-workers for a favor now... Thanks!

• I like it 1

So unusual— a Lowland home run with a waxy Lemon Pledge furniture polish thread running through it. 

B498C4A6-A87A-49C0-9BBA-B5FDB2EC45A6.thumb.jpeg.13fd0c80316c79ec80d664ef280421e4.jpeg

• I like it 2

A rare deviation for me last night (must be something in the water again Vosgar!)

Our neighbor was over for what has become a weekly grill out and I remembered that he likes Irish whiskey so I brought some up for us.

Started with Redbreast 12yr Cask Strength. Whoo boy is that good with a few drops added. Then followed with Jameson 18yr which paled a bit.

He was still game so I grabbed the Powers John Lane 12yr and found that one to be extremely flavorable despite being the last pour of the night after a boulevardier, wine, and the aforementioned whiskies.

I have clearly ignored the Irish for far too long given how much I enjoyed them last night and the change of pace was quite welcome.

• I like it 3

22 minutes ago, flahute said:

A rare deviation for me last night (must be something in the water again Vosgar!)

Our neighbor was over for what has become a weekly grill out and I remembered that he likes Irish whiskey so I brought some up for us.

Started with Redbreast 12yr Cask Strength. Whoo boy is that good with a few drops added. Then followed with Jameson 18yr which paled a bit.

He was still game so I grabbed the Powers John Lane 12yr and found that one to be extremely flavorable despite being the last pour of the night after a boulevardier, wine, and the aforementioned whiskies.

I have clearly ignored the Irish for far too long given how much I enjoyed them last night and the change of pace was quite welcome.

The Powers 12 is exceptional I thought! 

Having a pour of Edradour 10 tonight, which is pretty tasty given the low proof. 

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, beasled said:

The Powers 12 is exceptional I thought! 

Having a pour of Edradour 10 tonight, which is pretty tasty given the low proof. 

Definitely an eye opener for me! I'll be going back to it more often and sooner for sure.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, flahute said:

Let's see.......smokinjoe is your brother........maybe I'm a deviant 2nd cousin?

22 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

Let's see.......smokinjoe is your brother........maybe I'm a deviant 2nd cousin?

We’ll take you! Next family reunion is going to be epic. 

• I like it 1

31 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

7 minutes ago, flahute said:

We’ll take you! Next family reunion is going to be epic. 

Cheers to The Brotherhood!  :D

C971EDB9-2B44-4000-AE2F-101E17F8AB44.jpeg

• I like it 4

16 hours ago, flahute said:

Definitely an eye opener for me! I'll be going back to it more often and sooner for sure.

Even the cheaper NAS Powers Signature is a very  enjoyable pour.

I am absolutely loving this Glen Scotia Double Cask.  Integrity malt, NAS, less than $50. 

I think I'm falling in love with Campbeltown whiskey all over again.   

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, Guss West said:

I am absolutely loving this Glen Scotia Double Cask.  Integrity malt, NAS, less than $50. 

I think I'm falling in love with Campbeltown whiskey all over again.   

The GS 15 is one of my top malts, they're making some good stuff. 

• I like it 2

I bought the 15 at the same time and am going to save it for a Campbeltown Throwdown Extravaganza! 

The Writer’s Tears “Copper Pot” is not as nice as the “Red Head”, but that is not meant disparagingly.  The Red Head is simply awesome.  Copper Pot is solid and well priced.  Nice finish-the-bottle pour this early evening.  Plus, the metal screw cap makes for a nice seal to repurpose the bottle as a vessel for my batch of hummingbird food I cooked up this morning!  :D

43C77319-C4F9-416B-98B7-06A535082183.jpeg

Edited by smokinjoe
  • I like it 1

Ledaig 10 and loving it. Was in the mood for some peated whisky, something with more peat than my open Bowmore 12 but not as intense as some of the others I've currently got on the shelf. This one fits the bill wonderfully tonight. Almost seems like it has more of a seaside briney taste to it than Laphroaig 10, and a little more subdued. Kind of like an Old Pulteney with some luscious peatiness added to it. I love that it's non chill filtered (and only $45!)

• I like it 3

Stopped into Park Ave Liquors to pick up a bottle for a fellow SB'er and they were doing a tasting of the revamped Port Charlotte line which I had yet to try, have to say the new 10 year was really quite tasty the Islay Barley was solid a bit brighter and sweeter to my taster and not really as deep and rich, need to pick up a bottle of the 10 year to spend more time with. 

• I like it 2

On 8/22/2019 at 10:30 PM, kevinbrink said:

Stopped into Park Ave Liquors to pick up a bottle for a fellow SB'er and they were doing a tasting of the revamped Port Charlotte line which I had yet to try, have to say the new 10 year was really quite tasty the Islay Barley was solid a bit brighter and sweeter to my taster and not really as deep and rich, need to pick up a bottle of the 10 year to spend more time with. 

I’ve got a bottle of the second limited release of the 10 yr. old from 2016.  How does the new 10 regular release compare to that one?

On 8/17/2019 at 7:57 PM, smokinjoe said:

The Writer’s Tears “Copper Pot” is not as nice as the “Red Head”, but that is not meant disparagingly.  The Red Head is simply awesome.  Copper Pot is solid and well priced.  Nice finish-the-bottle pour this early evening.  Plus, the metal screw cap makes for a nice seal to repurpose the bottle as a vessel for my batch of hummingbird food I cooked up this morning!  :D

43C77319-C4F9-416B-98B7-06A535082183.jpeg

Before I read your text, I thought there was a new release of Writer’s Tears called Hummingbird Food!  Whew....

Edited by Rick M.
  • I like it 1

16 minutes ago, Rick M. said:

I’ve got a bottle of the second limited release of the 10 yr. old from 2016.  How does the new 10 regular release compare to that one?

Only going off memory I would say it's on par but hard to be more specific it's been a minute, though I can say I thought it was a considerable upgrade from the NAS regular release.

• I like it 1

One of my nephews from MN and his girlfriend were here last night. I knew from the other few times I've been around her that his girlfriend likes beer, but she surprised me yesterday by saying she also likes Scotch, peated Scotch no less. I had her taste a few of my open bottles and we both ended up going with a nice pour of Lagavulin 16. I need to let my nephew know this girl is a keeper. I mean, how can you not love a 20 something girl who enjoys Islay whiskies? :D

• I like it 7

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.