Wild Turkey 15 yr "Tribute"

joe1974
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have been told that in October or November Wild Turkey will release a 15 year old bourbon to honor master distiller Jimmy Russell's 50th year at the distillery. It will be called Wild Turkey Tribute. No word on the cost but I'd say it will be comparable to Kentucky Spirit ($40-$50).

Also since this is my first post, I guess I should list my favorites.

-Russell's Reserve

-Kentucky Spirit

-Pappy Van Winkle 23 year old (special occasions only)

-Evan Williams Single Barrel (value)

-Henry McKenna Single Barrel

I usually drink with a few ice cubes, and never cut with water. I typically do not enjoy bourbon with food, but rather by itself, after meals.

Glad to have found this site.

Welcome to the board, Joe. There are many WT lovers here, so you're in good company. Glad to have you aboard. cool.gif

I would hope not, but knowing Wild Turkey, they'll make this a near unattainable export bottle. banghead.gif I hear about this bottle some months ago so this further seems to strengthen the 'rumor'.

Mark, all:

Some news on the special Wild Turkey Tribute release honoring Jimmy Russell.

Apparently it will be available in the US domestic market (just 500 cases). Japan will get 800 cases. My intel says it'll likely sell for $80-90.

There's a chance it'll be available during the Bardstown fest. toast.gif

Cheers,

Omar

Amazing, Wild Turkey is finally doing the people who live, stay and travel within the US right. About time smirk.gif

Wild Turkey is finally doing the people who live, stay and travel within the US right

Yeah, but for a price. $80-90? shocked.gif

Guess we get back to the whole 'limited release' thing (500 cases) and how its for 'collectors' or those really willing to pay for it. I agree with ya' though Jeff, make it available for those here at a reasonable price! soapbox.gif

That (reasonable price) is the catch, but there is a good reason for it. Two points:

1. I believe things like this, which are created for the export (primarily Japanese) market are now being offered in the U.S. for one reason, because people like us (well, mostly you) have demanded it.

2. These things weren't previously offered here because the makers believed American consumers wouldn't pay the high prices for these items that the Japanese are willing to pay, and they can't make them cheaper here because that would just prompt gray market exporting. In other words, if we want to be able to buy them here, we have to be willing to pay approximately as much as the Japanese are willing to pay.

Chuck, that reminds me of a Japanese girl comedian I saw on TV about 20 years ago. She said her favorite thing about being in America was the produce at the grocery stores. A cantalope had cost her about $50 in Japan, but only about $2 here. So, she bought a lot of cantalopes because, "Every time I buy one I save $48!"

(I don't remember the exact numbers she used, but that was the gist of her joke).

Tim

I must admit, bourbon export economics - heck, any kind of economics - are mysterious to me. Thanks for helping us novices understand some of what goes on here!

Forgive my ignorance, but about gray market exporting - is this as big a deal with a very limited bottling? To me, 500 cases nationwide doesn't sound like much at all. I would think it would be a bigger deal for an ongoing bottling (eg, if Rare Breed sold for $60 in Japan, but $30 here, there could be a lot of money made over time). Or is there a real danger that those 500 cases would just get snapped up somewhere in distribution before us WT fans get a shot (so to speak)?

Finally, even though I realize that bourbon is a commodity with which big businesses make money, this would be my wish, fantasy, etc.:

Wouldn't it be nice if a special bottling of WT meant to pay tribute to Jimmy Russell was made affordable to the folks who have bought WT, Rare Breed and KS over the years, who recognize and appreciate the art of this industry giant, even if it meant losing a little export profit?

Thanks again for the lesson!

With such a small release, the pricing may be as much a function of the small release as it is of gray market concerns. Bottom line, though, all you ever have to remember about economics is that the right price is always the highest price the market will bear.

Finally, even though I realize that bourbon is a commodity with which big businesses make money, this would be my wish, fantasy, etc.:

Wouldn't it be nice if a special bottling of WT meant to pay tribute to Jimmy Russell was made affordable to the folks who have bought WT, Rare Breed and KS over the years, who recognize and appreciate the art of this industry giant, even if it meant losing a little export profit?

Yep, that would be nice of them, but then again in a prefect world... lol.gif I wish it were like that as well though Dave.

Chuck,

Again I agree with you, but the whole thing boils down to this. I have discussed this with several friends from Japan and they are beginning to see the light. The price and age of the bourbon has nothing to do with it. For example, the 17 YO Wild Turkey, which sold for about or around $300 in Japan, is now available in the Japanese market for about half that price. It is the collectors in the United States that are willing to pay a higher price for the bourbon that is not readily available to them. I, myself, have fallen victim for the quest to obtain bottles not available here, and after all this time, some 2500 bottles later, more or less, maybe a lot less-I just lost count a long time ago, and the truth is the best bourbon in the world is available right here, right now and all the rest is for bragging purposes only.

Cheers,

Marvin

Chuck,

I, myself, have fallen victim for the quest to obtain bottles not available here, and after all this time, some 2500 bottles later, more or less, maybe a lot less-I just lost count a long time ago, and the truth is the best bourbon in the world is available right here, right now and all the rest is for bragging purposes only.

I know this is the right perspective. It's profound, really. If VOB, AAA, EC 12, and any number of other quality bourbons can be obtained for $10-15, let's count our blessings instead of our losses. Having said that:

1) WT Tribute: can we at least hope for $60?

2) We would LOVE to see the collection you acquired before your epiphany!

Wow.

Okay, let's try this: we'd LOVE to experience a tasting from your collection!

Hope that wish works out just as well!

You have a wonderful collection. Thanks for sharing it with us!

• 2 months later...

According to Malt Advocate "Whiskey Notes", Pernod Ricard USA will be releasing 5500 bottles of Wild Turkey Tribute in commemoration of Jimmy Russel's fifty years of service with the distillery.

The whiskey is aged 15 years and will be bottled at 101 proof. It will be packaged in a stylish bottle in a wooden box and will be available in September.

Hopefully it'll be out in time to have him sign it if he shows up for our tour this September. toast.gif

Mark,

That would help put Wild Turkey back in our good graces, and make up for last years inconsiderate BS! bs.gif Lets hope that this happens.

Bob

• 1 month later...

Update:

There'll be less than 5,000 bottles of Tribute available nationwide. The first cases will be shipping to distributors next week and they will be limited. Best move is to ask your local store to place an order now. I have not seen it, but a WT official said 'the package is beautiful, they really turned out nice.'

Cheers,

Omar

Thanks for the heads up. Of course, I called my WT rep here who knows nothing of it. rolleyes.gif Then again, I haven't even seen him pay a visit since I've been open. Hope to get my hands on some if any makes it to NY.

I called my local shop, that has helped me in the past. The WT salesman was in the store and he didn't know anything about it. He's going to check and call me back.

deadhorse.gif

I guess I've complained enough. A Pernod Ricard rep came by today. He didn't know anything, either, but he did make a few phone calls to find out that Tribute is due here around October/November. It hasn't been registered with the State and all that legal jazz, yet, so I don't know what kinda pricing we are looking at here, but we'll keep you posted.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.