Wild Turkey 15 yr "Tribute"

joe1974
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well, I kicked around enough that I finally had two Pernod folks stop by to talk to me about Wild Turkey. Funny that both of them knew nothin' about the tribute, but in my chattin' 'em up, we've managed to schedule a Jimmy Russell visit to debut Tribute in NY at the store. They still haven't given me any pricing. banghead.gif But I'm super psyched about having Mr. Russell around in November and really pleased these Pernod folks are helping me raise awareness of the new bottle.

I hope the vist coincides with "WhiskeyFest" as I will be in NY for the event. I also look forward to visiting your establishment.

Yeah, it will coincide. We're gonna have him on Sunday, November 7 from 4-6. I look forward to seein' ya in The City. I sure hope the Tribute is here by then.

LeNell,

That's great news. Jimmy at LeNell's! bowdown.giftoast.gifcool.gif And its on a Sunday, so I won't have a work conflict this time! Yes, it would be nice if the Tribute is here at that time.

Bob

• 3 weeks later...

Many at the festival purchased the Tribute and had Jimmy sign their bottles. Bob or Chris was kind enough to open a bottle on Tuesday evening at the Gazebo for our small group to taste. My first reaction was that this had been double barreled as there was an almost exotic cherry scent on the nose.....wonderful. The flavors were full and well balanced. Great stuff and hopefully someone will do a more elaborate tasting (the great bourbons at the Gazebo sort of run together). Worth the price of admission.

Jimmy told a funny story during the tour on Thursday. He had been asked to pick out some 15yo honey barrels to celebrate the upcoming 150th aniversary of the distillery and had been doing so for a while. A couple of months ago he was asked to bring some of them down to do some 100ml sample bottles.....and noted they were for a product called "Tribute"....a tribute to him. He had been kept in the dark a long time on this. Heck, I think this board might have known about it before him.

Another interesting comment from him.....these Duty Free bottlings are a result from that market requesting something new and different to sell in the shops. They then select fancy packaging and bottle the requested age/proof. He hinted these weren't honey barrels....just good old WT meeting the age/proof requirements as determined by the Duty Free marketing folks.

Randy

I missed out on that early week Gazebo debut of the Tribute since Ben and I took a "nap" only to wake up after everyone had gone to bed. That drive wore us out.

I loved that story about Jimmy picking out his own Tribute barrels. Speaking of Tribute, did any of you guys get a chance to see his gorgeous gold ring custom made for him by Martino's Jewelry? Those folks were on our tour so you may have gotten a chance to meet Idamarie Marino. The ring has a turkey on one side, a bottle on the right, and the number "50" and the word "Tribute" in the center. They gave me a peak in the parking lot the day of the tour, but he was wearing it at the Gazebo Friday night.

Yes, I did see it. He was very proud and showing it off at The Gala. I got a card from the Marinos.

I wonder if they would make a Gazebo Survivor ring. Let's see. It might have a brisket plug, a chess piece and an Eminem wannabe on it.

toast.gif

Eminem...let's not go there. I got their card, too. Thinking of discussing nuptial rings with them. The ring was quite stunning.

• 3 weeks later...

I guess it's a relative bargain for folks who can buy in/from SoCal. (Search on "turkey", then scroll to the third item from the bottom.)

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Tina and I saw Tribute in DC this weekend for the (ahem) BARGAIN price of $89.99, but, having blown our bourbon budget at the Festival for the foreseeable future, we passed. The thing that seemed strange was that we randomly wandered into one single store the whole time we were in DC and saw six bottles on the shelf. Looks like Tribute must be relatively plentiful there these days.

The only place I've seen it in Nashville (en route to the Bourbon Festival 3 weeks ago), it was $79.99. NB: This is a store that generally beats everyone else by a buck or two.

Wow! For $89.99 I would have been very tempted. I wasn't there on the day the bottle was shared at the Gazebo, so I'm still a "Tribute" virgin! lol.giflol.gif

Hey, Gary-

I bet they're still there. I can't remember the name of the store, but I'm pretty sure it was between the 20th-28th block on M street on the right headed toward Georgetown.

In fact, I think they had 2 bottles of Pappy 23 for $200 each. That would solve your Pappy "backup" dilemma. Heck, you could pick up all six Tributes plus the Pappy & still come in under $1000! grin.gif

Burtonsville Montgomery County Liquor has it for $157. They also have Hirsch 16 year old for $96. Tell Georgie I sent ya.

Howie

Burtonsville Montgomery County Liquor has it for $157.

I'd hold out until the annual Nov. and Dec. holiday sales. Even the high-ticket specialty stuff very often gets discounted (although you won't see it in a printed ad).

Well, no bypass necessary but may have to have my right foot surgically removed from my rear end. Spoke to my local proprieter who was trying to get me a bottle or two and was informed that the distributor claims that the total allotment earmarked for Missouri is TWO BOTTLES and the chances of landing one of them is pretty much nil. Why didn't I just get one while at Bourbon Fest when they were so near? If anyone has access to one they don't want to pay the money for and I will gladly reimburse immediately. Until then, memories....

post-314-14489811721415_thumb.jpg

Thanks Dave, but I had heard Binny's had them and a search of the website using Tribute brings up four wines and no bourbon, nor is it listed in Specialty Spirits or New Arrivals. However, the problem is as good as solved as Tim (TNbourbon) has come to my rescue as well as generous offers from several other outstanding members of the board. I said it before and I'll keep on saying it. There just aren't any better people anywhere than on SB.com. toast.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.