New 14 Year Old Bottled in Bond Bourbon From MGP Is On Its Way

bourbon-n00b
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Volstead Reserve

Remus Volstead Reserve is a one-time-only release. Just 6,000 bottles, priced at $200 each, will be available in 14 states (Arizona, Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Ohio, Tennessee, Texas, and Wisconsin). 

Odds of me buying one, should I see it on a shelf at MSRP are about 50/50.

Not coming to Georgia so I don't have to worry about it but my odds of buying one are about 0/100 at that price point!

• I like it 6

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

my odds of buying one are about 0/100 at that price point!

+1

2 hours ago, Vosgar said:

+1

+2

Not coming to my state, but even if it did, easy pass.

• I like it 1

Not even at $40.  

19 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Not even at $40.  

I'll admit that the price they would have me at is probably around $100, but at $40 I would likely buy more than I should. 

• I like it 3

I'll admit that the price they would have me at is probably around $100, but at $40 I would likely buy more than I should. 

This!
  • I like it 1

Maybe if it was barrel proof, and maybe if closer to $150. I grabbed the Remus reserve II or whatever it's called for about $80 expecting that to be too high to pay, but am rather happy with it and might pick up another when I finish it. But $200 is too much.

I would like to see MGP release some bottled in bond of their different mash bills.  Keep the price in line with legacy distillers, even if that means four years old.

• I like it 3

The industry has gradually played me into accepting higher and higher prices.  At one point $100 was too much but as I got conditioned to paying an increasing cost, that last incremental jump into three digit territory didn't end up being so bad.  The same thing happened at $150. 

If I can get my hands on the Wild Turkey Cornerstone Rye at MSRP of $175, I'd almost certainly pick up one or two.  So, if I'm already ok with $175, from there it's not much to rationalize myself into an additional $25 jump. 

If I happen to walk into a store and happen to see it there and it happens to be MSRP, sure I will give it real consideration.   I don't place a high probability on that happening but we will see.

• I like it 1

The industry has gradually played me into accepting higher and higher prices.  At one point $100 was too much but as I got conditioned to paying an increasing cost, that last incremental jump into three digit territory didn't end up being so bad.  The same thing happened at $150. 

If I can get my hands on the Wild Turkey Cornerstone Rye at MSRP of $175, I'd almost certainly pick up one or two.  So, if I'm already ok with $175, from there it's not much to rationalize myself into an additional $25 jump. 

If I happen to walk into a store and happen to see it there and it happens to be MSRP, sure I will give it real consideration.   I don't place a high probability on that happening but we will see.

Darn it...now why did you have to go and get all logical like that? Now you’ve got me rethinking my initial revocation of this product pricing craziness!

8 hours ago, bourbon-n00b said:

I'm a fairly big WT Fanboy, I'm guessing my pain point for Cornerstone is going to be $150, for context I paid, $110, $110 & $120 for the first three Master's Keep bottles, so there is an outside shot I could find it here at that price. $25 might not be a lot of money in the greater scheme of things but even $150 seems like a huge stretch based on the specs. We shall see. 

• I like it 1

I'm a fairly big WT Fanboy, I'm guessing my pain point for Cornerstone is going to be $150, for context I paid, $110, $110 & $120 for the first three Master's Keep bottles, so there is an outside shot I could find it here at that price. $25 might not be a lot of money in the greater scheme of things but even $150 seems like a huge stretch based on the specs. We shall see. 

Unfortunately most of my Master’s Keep bottles have been purchased at full retail, which has been $149. I have lucked into a few extra bottles on clearance a few times at around $125, but I think that’s the best I’ve been able to do, so I fully expect that I’m going to have to pay $175 for Cornerstone if I want a bottle...and I do...so now I’m just $25 away on the subject bottle...I don’t know what I’ll do at this point. I want to say I’m still going to pass...but?

Am I the only one who expects to see the mashbill disclosed in any article/topic that involves MGP?  When I read it, I thought "$200 is insane . . . which mashbill though?"  I'm definitely out, but just curious if anyone has heard.

I'm also confused as to why MGP distilled stuff aged somewhere else (like Smooth Ambler, etc) can be pretty damn tasty - but I've yet to try something produced directly from MGP that was as impressive.  They certainly know how to distill; seems odd to me that they wouldn't have some stocks of pretty damn good whiskey to bottle (and with their business, could bottle them at a price more competitively).

• I like it 1

The recent 13yr GD BIB is a great reference for how absurd the pricing is one this one. GD BIB at  40ish, Hell yes!! This 200.00 MGP? Hell NO.

• I like it 2

The recent 13yr GD BIB is a great reference for how absurd the pricing is one this one. GD BIB at  40ish, Hell yes!! This 200.00 MGP? Hell NO.

Can’t argue with that logic either Kevin! I don’t know what I’ll end up doing at this point...I’m so confused! [emoji6][emoji3]

6 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

To be fair, Dickel is gross and well aged MGP is delicious.

In all seriousness, I haven't tried the GD 13 BIB and applaud them for the reasonable pricing.

5 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

To be fair, Dickel is gross and well aged MGP is delicious.

Nailed it

• I like it 1

Does it have a nice decanter style bottle? That’s what got me to pay the 130 for the OFBIB but without that no way I’d drop another $70.

1 hour ago, Adam777 said:

Does it have a nice decanter style bottle? That’s what got me to pay the 130 for the OFBIB but without that no way I’d drop another $70.

remus-volstead-reserve-bourbon-1240x696.png

I'd call that decanter-style bottle.... unique.   I'm not sure I'd go as far as "good looking".   

If one is a fan of those wide shoulders (I'm not), or generally of Art Deco, then I guess it passes muster.   ...Again, I'm not sold on it as being worth much 'extra' coin.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.