Just how rare is Rare Breed?

steve-in-kville
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was sure I had seen WTRB on my local shop's shelf. Went to the bigger store I have in the area. PLCB shows it on their website, but the store didn't have it. They looked it up, and on their system its not showing as available.

Does this sound right? You'd think I should be able to get that here in Pennsylvania.

ETA: I was looking forward to sipping this over the July 4th holiday. Instead I bought a Bulliet and the WT Rye.

It's hit or miss with state controlled stores.  The people in charge make a list , then that's it.

The better stores near me seem to usually have Rare Breed.  Places with a more limited selection, like a drug store or Walmart don't have it.

It's everywhere in Missouri. I find it for $42-$45. Hard to beat at that price. 

• I like it 1

Its not rare but if I lived somewhere that didn’t have it, I might have to move!! 

• I like it 5

Its not rare but if I lived somewhere that didn’t have it, I might have to move!! 

LOL!!! [emoji23]
  • I like it 1

Looks like it’s available in PA, just running short at present.  Not a rare bourbon at all.  But, heavily controlled state liquor boards like your state can be weird.  

1E40085C-0CAC-4334-9666-9887082E413A.png

6 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

It's everywhere in Missouri. I find it for $42-$45. Hard to beat at that price. 

It is in liquor stores all across the Ozarks both Arkansas and Missouri.

I'm an ABC store manager in NC and we have never had an issue getting it.

• I like it 1

Ohio is state controlled.  It is always on the shelf.

Not very rare at all.  I'd imagine most liquor stores would have it (and I'm pretty sure most VA stores have it stocked).

Plenty of it around here and if it's here it should be around elsewhere.

Pretty much everywhere here in ole high-priced Bama as well. ABC stores all have but running surprisingly close to “in line” from what I’m hearing at $44.99. One of my top picks.

On 7/2/2019 at 5:35 PM, Mako254 said:

Stacked up like cordwood in south carolina. 

Would you consider adopting me for a price?:D  I could live in THAT woodpile.

6 hours ago, kwshannon said:

I can find it in Iowa for $45-50, normal prices for me.

Yup. Some state ABC stores in Virginia have it @ $49 per 750, and a few have the 375s.  DC stores are hit and miss but at comparable prices.  Montgomery County MD has it for $45 but check store inventories before driving.

It's interesting, my favorite liquor store used to carry it with lots of inventory, but now they don't. I found it weird. I found another big liquor store that carried a few and bought them up. It started disappearing about 2 months ago.

• 2 weeks later...

It is relatively easy to find with the price typically between $45-$50.  Interestingly, within the last week, I noticed that larger big box store had it for $39.99 with a limit of one bottle per customer.  This is a national chain so I would think they should have pretty strong buying power.  Tonight, I purchased a bottle for $32.99 on sale ($20 off) at a larger Indy area chain.  They had plenty of bottles and no limit.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.