Michter’s 10 2018 vs. 2019

jtincher34
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have a bottle of each, saving one for when my daughter is born in October and the other I’m using as my “ante” for a bourbon fantasy football league I’m in. My question is has anyone had both and can you give your opinion on each and/or which one is better? I want to keep the good one for myself.

I haven't tried the '19, but I'm sure it will be better then the '18. (The '18 I had was ok) If I remember right there is a new MD or new Management (or something changed over their). So, Im sure they will try to put out a better bourbon. But remember, This is a single barrel bourbon, so lots of variation.

Welcome to SB.com

• I like it 1

If your daughter is going to be born this October I would keep the 2019 for that (since it will be her birth year).

I've got a bottle set aside for each of my children's 21st's that I plan on opening then and sharing a drink with them.

• I like it 2

On 7/3/2019 at 9:36 PM, JoeTerp said:

I've got a bottle set aside for each of my children's 21st's that I plan on opening then and sharing a drink with them.

Did the same with my daughters, except they got cases of 1st Growth Bordeaux (1978/1981 Ch. Lafite Rothschild and Ch. Margaux) and magnums of each to drink on their 21st birthday dinner.  When they were 20ish, they didn't like red wines and asked for the money that the wines were worth - stupid me, I gave it to them (at my costs, not then current retail).  Then, when the older one wanted to have the magnums at her 21st birthday dinner, the younger one asked where "her" wine was.  And the rest is history since I don't have any of those beauties left in MY cellar for almost 20 years.  The joke is on Dad.  Gotta' love daughters (the mothers of our 5 grandchildren)!   ?

• I like it 8

• 2 weeks later...

I've always wondered about this... do you all really save bottles for your children being born?  Is it for your children or  is possibly just an excuse to drink for yourself?  Sorry, I don't see the connection of a drinking hobby and having children.  I may be missing something however.

22 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I've always wondered about this... do you all really save bottles for your children being born?  Is it for your children or  is possibly just an excuse to drink for yourself?  Sorry, I don't see the connection of a drinking hobby and having children.  I may be missing something however.

I do have a bottle for each of my children that I plan on saving until their 21st and opening it up and having it with them.  So while I do intend to have it with them, it's definitely more of an experience for me.

I wasn’t necessarily saving a bottle to drink with my daughter when she turned 21, my idea was more of a celebratory bottle to drink with cigars with friends when she’s born.
  • I like it 1

Sorry, can't actually help, unless you go back in time. I had a 2017 and a 2018. I thought the 2017 was much, much better... The 2017 was as it is typically described; Werther's candy, quite sweet. The 2018 gave me vinegar from the onset and still does. I still have half left...

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2019 at 6:29 AM, Kepler said:

I've always wondered about this... do you all really save bottles for your children being born? 

I save bottles for other people's children being born.

I drink 'em to celebrate it wasn't me!

• I like it 5

• 4 months later...

I have no idea which year Michter's I received for Christmas this year, but I can tell you it is disappointing for an expensive, "premium" bourbon.=, i.e. it can't compare to the Bakers single barrel I also received.  I suppose I will ultimately finish it off but I would never buy another.  Disappointing for sure.

18 hours ago, Kyjd75 said:

I have no idea which year Michter's I received for Christmas this year, but I can tell you it is disappointing for an expensive, "premium" bourbon.=, i.e. it can't compare to the Bakers single barrel I also received.  I suppose I will ultimately finish it off but I would never buy another.  Disappointing for sure.

should say somewhere on the bottle.  I think up on the neck label.

But you're right.  It'll never hold a candle to that new Baker's.

8 hours ago, Kyjd75 said:

I took a look at the neck label.  The only info is the barrel number:  29H2380

I must be thinking of the rye.

I believe the first 2 digits on the 10y rye is the year it was released.

not sure then on the bourbon, if that’s your barrel #.

is there a laser code?

Edited by 0895

20 hours ago, 0895 said:

I must be thinking of the rye.

I believe the first 2 digits on the 10y rye is the year it was released.

not sure then on the bourbon, if that’s your barrel #.

is there a laser code?

it's the same on the bourbon.  This is likely 19H2380.  I'd guess it was an August 2019 bottle.  I'm not certain what the 2380 designates.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.