Jim Beam Warehouse Fire

FreddyC
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Another sad day for bourbon drinkers.  From one report I read the silver lining is that it was young stocks involved. Hopefully that is true.

Said to have been started by a lightening strike. 

Since God was throwing bolts, one wonders if this was the Devil's Cut warehouse

• I like it 6

Ah, it's only Jim Beam. So instead of 10 deep in the stores it'll be 8.

• I like it 4

BBC story said 45,00 barrels of bourbon destroyed.  They have video too.

What's hard for me to comprehend is that the 45,000 barrels lost in the fire represent only 1% of Beam's aging inventory

• I like it 4

50% off sale on Jim Beam flavored charcoal in the gift shop, all summer long.

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, Vosgar said:

What's hard for me to comprehend is that the 45,000 barrels lost in the fire represent only 1% of Beam's aging inventory

But they also said they have 3,300,000 barrels aging. So the math doesn't add up. Either way, a shit ton of whiskey aging.

10 minutes ago, Phil T said:

But they also said they have 3,300,000 barrels aging. So the math doesn't add up. Either way, a shit ton of whiskey aging.

They have something like 112 total rickhouses.

Just now, AndyD said:

They have something like 112 total rickhouses.

The article said 126.

By comparison, the 2nd largest distillery, Heaven Hill, has 57 rickhouses. 

Maybe it is time to slow production and age our current stocks.   It seems if distillers are producing and aging whiskey as fast as they can to meet this booming demand.  It is bound to make for mistakes and mishaps.  Just a thought.

6 hours ago, PaulO said:

BBC story said 45,00 barrels of bourbon destroyed.  They have video too.

I meant 45,000 barrels.  I can't type if my son is in the room.

4 hours ago, Phil T said:

The article said 126.

Right, not sure why you think the math doesn’t add up.  Not all the houses have that capacity (plus or minus).  I would say if they have 3-4 million barrels aging, that sounds reasonable.

I’m sure they take a lot of preventive measures but I’m surprised this doesn’t happen more often. You’re storing a highly combustible product in a warehouse that’s constructed of wood.

I assume they're rounding - technically 45,000 barrels is 1.36% of 3.3 million (although I think most articles presented the 3.3 as an 'about' number).  If ALL of those barrels were destined to be JB White (seems unlikely, as I thought they intentionally had a little of most brands in most warehouses to reduce impact to any label - but maybe JB White is an exception because of volume?), then it would have to be more than 1% of the stock of that label for sure.

Maybe they'll do less flavored shit in a few years to balance it out.  Although I'm right there with @HoustonNit - I can't believe this doesn't happen more often (while I've been surprised at how often lately there have been rickhouse collapses or partial collapses).  I mean - how do you protect against lightning?

15 hours ago, DCFan said:

Ah, it's only Jim Beam. So instead of 10 deep in the stores it'll be 8.

...Or, about 9 + a 375, + maybe about 4 or 5-50's deep.   I know I for one am heading to my local to stock up on pre-fire Jim Beam White Label before the supply goes critically low: under 9-deep!

For some perspective, It took from March of 2016 to May of 2018 for Beam to go from 14,000,000 barrels filled since prohibition, to 15,000,000 barrels.  In that 22 months, they were averaging ~45,000 barrels filled per month.  So, this loss is about 1 months production.  

At 45,000 barrels per month, that’s 1,500 per day.  >62 per hour.  1 per minute.  24/7/365.  Staggering.  

Furthermore, I have just reach my brains total capacity for math functions for the entire month of July, and it’s only the 4th. Consequently, Mrssmokinjoe has just taken all of my credit cards, hid the checkbook, and put me on a weekly cash allowance until August...

• I like it 7

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.