Jim Beam Black Label Change

kristine888
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hey! I was researching the history of Jim Beam Black Label and I found some old bottles with the name Beam's Black Label. Obviously, it's the same stuff, but I was wondering if anyone knows when Beam decided to change the name or why they did? Let me know!

I believe they changed it quite a while back if I'm not mistaken.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

I can't remember the exact dates, but I think it goes back around 20 years ago.

Earliest I recall was 8 years old 90 proof, then changed to 8 years old 86 proof, then the current no exact age statement 86 proof.

Why Beam decided to make the changes - probably increased demand, and tighter supplies of well aged barrels.  Also trying to support other brands like Knob.

• I like it 1

• 4 months later...
On 7/9/2019 at 10:09 AM, kristine888 said:

Hey! I was researching the history of Jim Beam Black Label and I found some old bottles with the name Beam's Black Label. Obviously, it's the same stuff, but I was wondering if anyone knows when Beam decided to change the name or why they did? Let me know!

It's not the same stuff.

Beam's Black Label as well as Beam's Choice were direct competition to Jack Daniel's. Both Beam's Black label and Beam's Choice were charcoal filtered, and had black and green labels respectively, as did the JD products. So basically Tennessee whisky made in Kentucky with a label meant to replicate the competition.

Jim Beam Black label is 'extra aged' KSBW. Jim Beam's Choice is out of production for a few years now.

To further confuse the consumer, Beam's Black was aged 101 months and Choice was No.8. So it looked like a 90 proof whiskey was 101 proof and the 8 was a dig at Daniel's No.7, you know, it's being 8 made it better than 'Old No.7'.

Edited by Don Birnam
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.