2019 PHC announced

Jazz June
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Ooooooh!   8-years, 9-months on the 7th floor; level 5-charring; NCF........

I predict a pretty thick and maybe gritty, not to mention oaky and 'smoaky', Straight Rye.    I wanna taste this!!!!  :P

• I like it 2

Perhaps given its youth, they might have a lot of it for a large batch?

Fingers crossed.

• I like it 3

Perhaps given its youth, they might have a lot of it for a large batch?

Fingers crossed.

MSRP of $150 for 8 year old Rye should help with that.
  • I like it 2

13 minutes ago, BigRich said:

MSRP of $150 for 8 year old Rye should help with that.

They are not going to have any problems moving this one. I agree though the precedent being set by this and WT MK Cornerstone is definitely eye popping. Sure makes KC BP Rye seem like even more of a bargain based on spec alone.  Admittedly despite the fact that I don't dig the price on this I'll admit I'd be likely to buy if I came across one of these near retail. 

• I like it 3

The specs on this for the price are a big fat meh. 

#5 char on the 7th floor of the rickhouse means a lot of evaporation and a lot of exchanges with the wood so it could surprise us but on paper it’s not a big needle mover. 

• I like it 2

7 hours ago, flahute said:

#5 char on the 7th floor of the rickhouse means a lot of evaporation and a lot of exchanges with the wood so it could surprise us but on paper it’s not a big needle mover. 

My thoughts exactly.  Before I got to the MSRP, I was thinking "Hmm . . . $100 is going to be tough for 8 yr rye".  I would definitely need to try it and be blown away before I'd shell out what they're asking.  I think of 1792 barrels aged up top for about that long, and some are amazing, but I recall some being past it.  8 yrs is a long time to be up there.  

And the label is green paper.  Did we ever figure out why in the hell green is tied to 'rye'? 

Edited by GaryT
  • I like it 1

Well, this is a relative bargain when compared to Peerless at their current $30+ per year! [emoji6]

• I like it 1

This a try for me.  If i saw it on the shelf I would be tempted to buy it.  Good thing I won't have to worry about that.  

4 hours ago, GaryT said:

My thoughts exactly.  Before I got to the MSRP, I was thinking "Hmm . . . $100 is going to be tough for 8 yr rye".  I would definitely need to try it and be blown away before I'd shell out what they're asking.  I think of 1792 barrels aged up top for about that long, and some are amazing, but I recall some being past it.  8 yrs is a long time to be up there.  

And the label is green paper.  Did we ever figure out why in the hell green is tied to 'rye'? 

Green is the colour of dill and mint.

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, flahute said:

While I wish the price were lower considering the age, I am clearly more interested in this the orange stuff from last year or the malt one. I’ve been saying they should do a rye for years so I can’t complain now. And, this isn’t the most expensive PHC either. Was it 15 or 16 that had the 20+ year bourbon with an MSRP over $200?

I'm looking forward to this release and while I agree that the price is pretty high when its less than 9 years and only 105 proof, I'll buy it if I can find it for MSRP.

I had a number of thoughts rattling around in my skull, but instead of once again being the grumpy old bastard I can be I'll leave it at this: It's just another example that makes me glad I've found bourbon zen. 

• I like it 8

Yeah this is another I would be interested in.  I'd have to imagine this will be a lottery item in VA though so that likely saves me $150.

HH will be happy to take full advantage of he consumer  as evidenced by EVERY ONE of their recent maneuvres. 

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, Vosgar said:

I had a number of thoughts rattling around in my skull, but instead of once again being the grumpy old bastard I can be I'll leave it at this: It's just another example that makes me glad I've found bourbon zen. 

I love the grumpy old bastard. Spill it!

• I like it 3

8 hours ago, flahute said:

I love the grumpy old bastard. Spill it!

Here's a "grump" for ya'..... HAIL!!!  HALT!!!  OMG!  :o?:(

• I like it 1

It doesn't really have anything about it that says it is worth $150 to me. My resolve is improving and at this price point I really want to say not only no but hell no!

Whether I will actually do so remains to be seen... :(

• I like it 3

17 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

It doesn't really have anything about it that says it is worth $150 to me. My resolve is improving and at this price point I really want to say not only no but hell no!

I'm increasingly in this camp as well. If I taste it and am blown away, I'm a buyer. I done taking blind risks. Mostly.

• I like it 2

22 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

3 minutes ago, flahute said:

I'm increasingly in this camp as well. If I taste it and am blown away, I'm a buyer. I done taking blind risks. Mostly.

Be strong, guys!!!

It's kind of amazing because it seemed like it would have been impossible for HH to screw up a rye PHC. I could imagine a release that would interest me at $150 but this ain't it.

HH PHC vs. WT Master's Keep this fall.   Rye battle royale.  My early money's on the turkey...

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 6

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.