2019 PHC announced

Jazz June
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have to say that I’ll be a “Buy” on this one (first PHC in a couple of years that I’m high on...) A very nice age at 8y in a #5 Char, high up in the rickhouse, portends some good things for me on the age management side.  105 pr and NCF are both pluses, as well, though I find it interesting that proof is lower than Pikesville.  Money to charity, is gravy.  

• I like it 2

From their website: "Heaven Hill will continue this legacy and contribute a portion of the proceeds from each bottle sold to the ALS Association." 

Without a doubt a very worthwhile charity that many of us SB members have contributed to. I just hope that at the price they're charging for this release it's a HUGE portion of the proceeds.

(there you go Steve, some of my grumpy bastardness coming out)

Edited by Vosgar
  • I like it 3

18 hours ago, Vosgar said:

From their website: "Heaven Hill will continue this legacy and contribute a portion of the proceeds from each bottle sold to the ALS Association." 

Without a doubt a very worthwhile charity that many of us SB members have contributed to. I just hope that at the price they're charging for this release it's a HUGE portion of the proceeds.

(there you go Steve, some of my grumpy bastardness coming out)

More please. 

4 hours ago, flahute said:

More please. 

I'll be nice as I sit here enjoying some PHC POH tonight. This whiskey is 96 proof, 10yrs old, cost $85.99 and is outstanding. Definitely a wonderful bottle and I'm darn glad I have one more left. According to its neck tag, $20 of each bottle was going to be donated to the ALS Association, so using slightly fuzzy math HH should donate around $40 of this years bottle to the Association. I'm hoping they do more.

P1060927.JPG

• I like it 3

44 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

I'll be nice as I sit here enjoying some PHC POH tonight. This whiskey is 96 proof, 10yrs old, cost $85.99 and is outstanding. Definitely a wonderful bottle and I'm darn glad I have one more left. According to its neck tag, $20 of each bottle was going to be donated to the ALS Association, so using slightly fuzzy math HH should donate around $40 of this years bottle to the Association. I'm hoping they do more.

P1060927.JPG

Now we’re talking. 

Spot on points all around. 

• I like it 2

On 7/28/2019 at 12:52 AM, Kepler said:

HH PHC vs. WT Master's Keep this fall.   Rye battle royale.  My early money's on the turkey...

I think both are priced a bit higher than I would prefer, but I do want to do this comparison and its kind of cool that both are doing Rye's this year.

Sad that when KO 11 year rye batch one came out I poo-pooed the $130 asking price.  Oh how quickly times have changed and my price threshhold just keeps going up with the rising prices.  

• I like it 1

If it were released across the valley at Willett, an 8yr rye would easily be more expensive, and gobbled up immediately.

• I like it 4

If it were released across the valley at Willett, an 8yr rye would easily be more expensive, and gobbled up immediately.

True dat!

• 2 weeks later...

Initial review on breaking bourbon not very favorable on this one.  While I generally prefer to form my own opinions as prices start to escalate certain buying decisions may be influenced by the reviews.

Edited by Bob_Loblaw
  • I like it 1

The nosing and tasting experience may not come into play, I just received an email blast from Heaven Hill containing a link to a fluff pay-to-play article touting this release as THE MOST COLLECTIBLE RYE WHISKEY OF THE YEAR.

What a turn off.

1673016487_ScreenShot2019-08-14at9_38_05AM.thumb.png.9ee223c2df9795e81d44a1a95e7726a2.png

Edited by Marekv8
  • I like it 3

Initial review on breaking bourbon not very favorable on this one.  While I generally prefer to form my own opinions as prices start to escalate certain buying decisions may be influenced by the reviews.

Bourbon Pursuit didn’t give a good review either.

37 minutes ago, marshall9779 said:

Bourbon Pursuit didn’t give a good review either.

But..., But... It's soooo COLLECTIBLE...       That's what's really important, no?

• I like it 3

Maybe its a bad year for Ryes, because I wasn't impressed with WTMK Rye ether.  I just picked up a Michters 10y Rye today...…… maybe I should bring it back...….

I got tickets for the "2019 Parker's Celebration" even being held on Wednesday, September 18th.  You get a bottle of the new Parker's during the event so if anyone is around at the Gazebo Wednesday night, I'll be happy to share it.  

Edited by ThirstyinOhio

Since most bourbon bloggers seem more  intent on being a part of the bourbon blogger circle jerk (“You’re great”.  “Thanks buddy, you’re great, too.”  “Hey, Banter buddy is great, too!”  “All together...AGREED!!!”)  than being  independent thinking and unbiased reporters of Bourbonia, I give zero credence to their “opinions”.   

• I like it 4

4 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Since most bourbon bloggers seem more  intent on being a part of the bourbon blogger circle jerk (“You’re great”.  “Thanks buddy, you’re great, too.”  “Hey, Banter buddy is great, too!”  “All together...AGREED!!!”)  than being  independent thinking and unbiased reporters of Bourbonia, I give zero credence to their “opinions”.   

You old curmudgeon you.

• I like it 2

13 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

8 hours ago, flahute said:

You old curmudgeon you.

Gotta say I generally agree with Joe here, there are a few bloggers (mostly those that don't review exclusively bourbon) that tend to think for themselves but they seem to increasingly be the exception to the rule.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

Gotta say I generally agree with Joe here, there are a few bloggers (mostly those that don't review exclusively bourbon) that tend to think for themselves but they seem to increasingly be the exception to the rule.

Don’t get me wrong, I agree with him too. I’m just giving him a hard time because he’s my brother!

• I like it 1

On 8/20/2019 at 6:51 PM, smokinjoe said:

I couldn't agree more with this statement.  The only review site that I pay attention to at all is drinkhacker.com who has been around for a while and does a lot more than just bourbon.  Even then, I take it with a grain of salt but their opinion often is similar to mine.  

• I like it 1

On 8/15/2019 at 7:24 PM, LCWoody said:

Maybe its a bad year for Ryes, because I wasn't impressed with WTMK Rye ether.  I just picked up a Michters 10y Rye today...…… maybe I should bring it back...….

I enjoyed Cornerstone, but did not love the M10Rye I recently opened.  I really liked the Michters Barrel Proof Rye that I got earlier this year.  That was fantastic.

• 1 month later...

Good Day All.

Looks like this is starting to hit the streets.  I have an opportunity to pick up a bottle.  Any of you popped the cork on this one yet?  I have read the reviews but, am looking for some unbiased feedack,  TIA.

6 hours ago, GreggJ said:

Good Day All.

Looks like this is starting to hit the streets.  I have an opportunity to pick up a bottle.  Any of you popped the cork on this one yet?  I have read the reviews but, am looking for some unbiased feedack,  TIA.

At least one member has obtained a bottle and really enjoyed it as noted below. I will likely buy at least one if I get a chance to (And it is close to retail cost).

• I like it 1

As Bruce indicated above with links to my posts in the rye thread, I really like this Parker’s Heritage, but I liked last year’s also, and many did not, so keep that in mind. Obviously, last year’s PH and this year’s PH are like oranges and apples that can’t really be compared with each other. The char level of the barrels is very evident on both the nose and palate of this rye, but it doesn’t come across as being over-oaked. I really like the charred oak that is very present in this rye, but others may not. It’s definitely not cheap, so that’s one consideration, but a decent chunk of the price goes to charity, and I think it’s an excellent rye to boot! YMMV

As always, you guys are a wealth of information.  Thanks for the responses.  Once I got passed the initial "Orange Shock" and consideted it for what it was,  I found last years release very unique and quite enjoable.

I'll post my thought s when I pop the bottle, it may sit for a little while though.  I have a lot of good stuff opened.   

• 3 weeks later...

Might store got shut out on the 2019 PHC so it seemed I wasn't likely to get one this year. I did get a tiny taste before they ran out at the Atlanta World of Whiskies event and it seemed it would probably be something I liked which made it slightly more annoying! Bu I also bumped into a friend from Heaven Hill at the event with a little pull and he said he would try to help us out. And indeed he did!

978324202_PHC2019rye.jpg.29b448d7dfdd2d847ed3dd9ee0c0fa69.jpg

Had heard some less than stellar reviews on this but I am not sure what the fuss is about. Seems like a perfectly lovely, if somewhat bourbon-y rye, with a nice touch of char in the back of the palate and a subtle but reasonably long slightly herbal finish to me. 

Was it enjoyable? Why yes!

Is it stellar? Well, no but it was still enjoyable.

Is the ever increasing price and difficulty to find annoying? Absolutely. But without the help of a friend in the industry I may not have had a chance to get one at all.

• I like it 6

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.