“Bunker”?

DaveD
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Why do people enjoy bourbon refer to their collection as being in the “Bunker”? I’m not a golfer, so I don’t understand the reference. Why not shelter, dugout, foxhole, stash, hideaway, hoard, stockpile, supply, reserve, heap, provision, safe, vault, treasury, tomb, or crypt?

Asking for a friend. And why do people say, “asking for a friend”? We all know the man behind the curtain is really Mark Twain.

“Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.”

• I like it 2

Well, dinner is being prepared by some body else in the house, so my lecture MAY be truncated.

Popularly (according to wiki), BUNKER can refer to a fuel storage place, a defensive military fortification, a golf depression with sand in it, a kind of fish (see MENHADEN), and other stuff.  Speaking for myself, it is THE PLACE I put unopened bottles because I KNOW they'll be safe there, out of sight there, uncatalogued there, uncounted there, and otherwise forgotten by persons other than myself.  Did I mention "safe" and "forgotten by others"?

In my case, it is a corner of the basement where light doesn't really reach,  some space on a shelf under my worktable where some body would really have to move stuff to see what's back there, the space around the spare tire in my car, and an upper shelf or six in the utility room.

Hope this helps. 

EDIT-ADDED WHILE AWAITING FIRST BITE - generically, it's a place we put our spares, rares, and pairs.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 9

I’m not a linguist so I can’t answer your question in an academic sense. I say bunker because it sounds coolest to me. Maybe because I like guns, ammo and explosives. HTH

• I like it 3

Most of the designations you mentioned (stash, stockpile, hoard... etc) have been used. Not sure of the reason, but most of us have settled in with bunker.

A few thoughts; Bunker sounds better when talking about surviving the zombie apocalypse. Same with “hunker down with something from the bunker”.  Also a bunker is something you use to defend property and/or territory. “Bourbon! This we will defend!” :D

Biba! Joe

• I like it 4

2 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Well, dinner is being prepared by some body else in the house, so my lecture MAY be truncated.

Popularly (according to wiki), BUNKER can refer to a fuel storage place, a defensive military fortification, a golf depression with sand in it, a kind of fish (see MENHADEN), and other stuff.  Speaking for myself, it is THE PLACE I put unopened bottles because I KNOW they'll be safe there, out of sight there, uncatalogued there, uncounted there, and otherwise forgotten by persons other than myself.  Did I mention "safe" and "forgotten by others"?

In my case, it is a corner of the basement where light doesn't really reach,  some space on a shelf under my worktable where some body would really have to move stuff to see what's back there, the space around the spare tire in my car, and an upper shelf or six in the utility room.

Hope this helps. 

EDIT-ADDED WHILE AWAITING FIRST BITE - generically, it's a place we put our spares, rares, and pairs.

Harry,

You must have taken creative writing a number of times before heading off to law school. Always an interesting and funny read. Spares, rares, and pairs, indeed. 

Pat

• I like it 2

You are putting to much thought into it...…. Life is short, make it easy. 

• I like it 1

For years, until he retired, my dad worked for the U.S. Navy.  They have a large support center in Southern Indiana.  One day a year we the families got a tour.  I saw a lot of bunkers.  It looks like a small hill.  One side has a wall with a door.  There is a mushroom shape metal air vent on top of the hill.

Bourbon bunker has alliteration (first sound repeats), so it caught on.  There is the verb to bunker.  It sounds macho.  Knowing the jargon means you're part of the in group.  Also conveys the idea here's something dangerous or valuable, need to restrict access.

• I like it 2

Speaking for myself, I refer to only 'new bottles being put away for the future' as my 'bunker', vs just any unopened bottle in the exact same cabinet in the exact same room.  For example - the handful of unopened, private picks of  Elijah Craig on the bottom shelf of the cabinet are in the 'bunker', while the one unopened bottle of a private pick of Blantons (which is on the same shelf) clearly is not in the 'bunker' - it just hasn't been opened yet.

I mean - the difference is crystal clear . . . right?  No suffering of mild delusions or derangement here . . . right?  (@#$% - I need to move that bottle of Blantons to avoid confusion)

• I like it 2

It's just a word that has come into common use by the folx hereabouts.    As far as I know, elsewhere, too. 

Coulda, just as easily been another word; like elephant, maybe.   

Wait!   That one doesn't actually work. 

How about plankton?   

No.   That doesn't work either.   

Maybe aardvark?   

Nope.   

OK I guess there just isn't a better word than 'bunker'.   :(

That's why!  :D

• I like it 1

To fully understand the word bunker, one must parse the word for it's full meaning. 

Bun, meaning two pieces of puffy bread used to envelop ground up cow, or a portion of a pig that has been smoked and pulled apart and sauced.  Bun can also mean one half of the certain part of a humans anatomy, usually covered by undergarments (unless one has imbibed too much bourbon and decides that it is appropriate to bare said part of the anatomy, also known as "mooning").  I.E.  something made of grain and not in public view.

Ker is the abbreviation of the word Kernel, which of course refers to a kernel of corn.  In ancient Greek religion it is also known as a destructive spirit.  The word is also used to speak of an individual's doom.  Hence if our wives found our hidden stash of liquid distilled partially from corn that could lead to the destruction of said stash and our doom.

Bun-ker.  Therefore the true meaning of, and the reason for the word's usage, is that it is something made from grain (corn), and not in public view so as to reduce the possibility of it's destruction and our doom.

You're Welcome! :D

• I like it 7

It's the place that if anyone other than myself becomes cognizant of then they'll have to be killed. ?

I just came to see if anyone had replied to the title of this thread the way that I would've...

"Bunker? I hardly know her!"

• I like it 1

On 7/26/2019 at 12:35 PM, squire said:

Because "wine cellar" sounds a bit pretentious.

Yep, and it gets down right douchey when they “curate” its contents...

• I like it 1

24 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Curate?  Isn't that the oriental fighting method?  You know, where you hit them with a "curate (cur-ah-tay) chop".

• I like it 1

40 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Isn't that the term used for describing the effectiveness (or lack thereof) of some proposed medical intervention: cure rate merely mis-typed, eh?

Please note the cure rate for most illnesses known to be treated with Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey is near 100%... though the time to effect such cure can be extremely variable, so you may just hafta stick with the treatment for a good long while, many, many years in most cases, I'm told!

Edited by Richnimrod

3 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Isn't that the term used for describing the effectiveness (or lack thereof) of some proposed medical intervention: cure rate merely mis-typed, eh?

Please note the cure rate for most illnesses known to be treated with Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey is near 100%... though the time to effect such cure can be extremely variable, so you may just hafta stick with the treatment for a good long while, many, many years in most cases, I'm told!

Now that you mention it.  I am feelin' a might bit poorly.  Dr. Richnimrod, do I need one pour or two to restore my health & vitality?

Sadly, CRS disease is one illness that bourbon can’t help or cure. Myself, and a few others here can attest to that. I think...... <_<

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Now that you mention it.  I am feelin' a might bit poorly.  Dr. Richnimrod, do I need one pour or two to restore my health & vitality?

Yes!   

Also, take an aspirin, and hold it your shirt pocket...in case.   My fee for such consultations is ordinarily $50.   For SB buds though, I generally discount it down to $5.   You can mail me the $5 when you get around to it.

• 2 weeks later...

A think of a bunker as a safe place of refuge. Thus all my hard to find or no longer made bourbon is “in the bunker”

• I like it 1

On 7/29/2019 at 9:43 AM, BDanner said:

I just came to see if anyone had replied to the title of this thread the way that I would've...

"Bunker? I hardly know her!"

Me too.  Great minds think alike.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.