Jump to content
Bret Bret

My first bottle of this - Summer 2019

Recommended Posts

Bret Bret

Never tried or bought a bottle of CEHT small batch (or any other CEHT batch). Tried it, loved it, and went out the next day and picked up another plus a BT.

What first bottle did you buy and what did you think of it?

0726192247b.jpg

  • I like it 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CardsandBourbon
Posted (edited)

My first two bottles were Towne Branch and Basil Hayden.  Loved the BH and the TB was . . . well let's just say it was underwhelming.  CEHT SmB would probably be my choice if I had to limit myself to drinking one bourbon for the rest of my life (Oooh, I shudder at that thought!)

 

My bad.  You meant my first bottle of CEHT SmB.  See above for my response.

Edited by CardsandBourbon
Stupidity!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
0895

I started with single barrel CEHT and didn’t really care much for it. 

 

Once I discovered the small batch, it won me over.   It still remains my favorite of the CEHT releases that I’ve tried, with 4 grain as my second place. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gurgalunas

That CEHT SiB can be superb, though.  Hard to bet on the honey barrel though at +$30.  I had a SiB that made the following SmB seem meh, but I doubt I find that again...

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kepler

Are you trying to start a new thread for people to post their thoughts of recently purchased bourbons that are first-time purchases?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bret Bret
4 hours ago, Kepler said:

Are you trying to start a new thread for people to post their thoughts of recently purchased bourbons that are first-time purchases?  

That was the thought. First time, never tried, purchases of any brand. Probably should have been more concise in the initial post. Hope I'm not reopening an old post.

Started with CEHT because I had always passed it by at the LS, but picked one up based on recommendations from here. (Glad I did).

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fosmith
4 hours ago, Bret Bret said:

That was the thought. First time, never tried, purchases of any brand. Probably should have been more concise in the initial post. Hope I'm not reopening an old post.

Started with CEHT because I had always passed it by at the LS, but picked one up based on recommendations from here. (Glad I did).

Thanks.

Hadn't really passed as it just came out but I recently opened a bottle of Dickel 13 yr BiB and, I have to say, it's delicious!  The vitamin note on the nose has dissipated after a week of air into a sweet and wonderfully complex blend of flowers and caramel.  My first ever Dickel product and, I have to say, I'm impressed.  I may take the plunge on a SAOS Dickel SiB bottle after trying this.  

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PhantomLamb

Just bought 1792 SiB and I am hooked.  Looking forward to getting the SmB and Full Proof next month.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kepler
13 hours ago, Bret Bret said:

That was the thought. First time, never tried, purchases of any brand. Probably should have been more concise in the initial post. Hope I'm not reopening an old post.

Started with CEHT because I had always passed it by at the LS, but picked one up based on recommendations from here. (Glad I did).

Thanks.

Got it, thanks.  For me recent first time bottles are Dickel BiB 13 yr and David Nicholson 1843.  Thumbs up on the GD, thumbs sideways on the DN (only 1 pour of that one).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EarthQuake
Posted (edited)

First purchase of Redemption 10 year high rye, the newer release in the new bottle. It was $80 at Total Wine in WI and amusingly, they had a bunch of the older release, old bottle, 9 year, at $100. If they had more than 1 bottle of this I would have gotten it (It's usually $100 here). Anyway, this stuff is great. Real classic high rye MGP here, like a really nice B recipe Four Roses.

 

I also got a Joseph Magnus store pick, barrel proof, TN sourced. Now I finally understand the vitamin thing people talk about with Dickel. I don't usually like Dickel, but this is pretty good. But that vitamin, ugh, I don't know about this one.

Edited by EarthQuake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JoeTerp
On 7/27/2019 at 5:32 PM, 0895 said:

I started with single barrel CEHT and didn’t really care much for it. 

 

Once I discovered the small batch, it won me over.   It still remains my favorite of the CEHT releases that I’ve tried, with 4 grain as my second place. 

Have you ever had the barrel proof.  That's by far my favorite of the EH Taylor line (although to be fair I've only had the two Four Grains of the one-off releases).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
0895
1 hour ago, JoeTerp said:

Have you ever had the barrel proof.  That's by far my favorite of the EH Taylor line (although to be fair I've only had the two Four Grains of the one-off releases).

 

Yeah, they are always just middle of the road for me.   Good enough, But I never seem to reach for that bottle. 

 

I honestly like StaggJR better. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BDanner
Posted (edited)

Dickel BIB and Rebel Yell 100...Both new, and both delicious.

 

Edited by BDanner
  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ondarocks
On 7/28/2019 at 11:39 AM, PhantomLamb said:

Just bought 1792 SiB and I am hooked.  Looking forward to getting the SmB and Full Proof next month.

Try the 1792 BiB. A local LS has a 7 y.o. PS that is a banana bomb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bret Bret

First time ever for the Early Times and first time I ever came across a Select Old Scout.  Both bought after reading comments on this forum.  Maybe a SBS...

0802191341a.jpg

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PhantomLamb
9 hours ago, ondarocks said:

Try the 1792 BiB. A local LS has a 7 y.o. PS that is a banana bomb.

I can't find that anywhere here in PA.  Would love to get a bottle though...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paddy

I bought the Dickel BIB.  It rang all the bells... great color, 13 year age statement and great price.  Unfortunately, as soon as I opened the bottle it smelled like I'd just opened a fresh bottle of Flintstones vitamins! 

 

Maybe the shock was enhanced somewhat by the fact that I've been away from Dickel for too long, but wow...:blink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dcbt

What is it about those TN whiskies? One is vitamin juice, and the other is banana juice. Pick your poison.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fosmith
7 hours ago, Paddy said:

I bought the Dickel BIB.  It rang all the bells... great color, 13 year age statement and great price.  Unfortunately, as soon as I opened the bottle it smelled like I'd just opened a fresh bottle of Flintstones vitamins! 

I know what you mean about the Flintstones vitamins!  But that 13 y.o. BiB is still great whiskey, IMO.  And, for me, after the first sniff, the nose evolves away from vitamins to flowers, minerals and caramel. 

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
0895
3 hours ago, dcbt said:

What is it about those TN whiskies? One is vitamin juice, and the other is banana juice. Pick your poison.

 

🍌

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink
5 hours ago, dcbt said:

What is it about those TN whiskies? One is vitamin juice, and the other is banana juice. Pick your poison.

I like both just fine, would probably go Dickel over Jack most of the time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fosmith
1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

I like both just fine, would probably go Dickel over Jack most of the time. 

I agree but the JD SiB BP is banana cream pie heaven...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smokinjoe
7 hours ago, dcbt said:

What is it about those TN whiskies? One is vitamin juice, and the other is banana juice. Pick your poison.

All praise house styles!  The next time somebody says all American whiskies taste the same, and that’s why they drink other brown spirits, drop those babies down in front of them.  :D

 

  • I like it 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hollywood
On 8/2/2019 at 12:48 PM, Bret Bret said:

First time ever for the Early Times and first time I ever came across a Select Old Scout.  Both bought after reading comments on this forum.  Maybe a SBS...

0802191341a.jpg

I’m hoping the ETBIB finds it’s way to AL.. my allure for BIB’s has my interest piqued.. I’m assuming if found will be priced reasonable.. ??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lcpfratn
All praise house styles!  The next time somebody says all American whiskies taste the same, and that’s why they drink other brown spirits, drop those babies down in front of them.  
 

This x10!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...