My first bottle of this - Summer 2019

Bret Bret
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Never tried or bought a bottle of CEHT small batch (or any other CEHT batch). Tried it, loved it, and went out the next day and picked up another plus a BT.

What first bottle did you buy and what did you think of it?

0726192247b.jpg

• I like it 3

My first two bottles were Towne Branch and Basil Hayden.  Loved the BH and the TB was . . . well let's just say it was underwhelming.  CEHT SmB would probably be my choice if I had to limit myself to drinking one bourbon for the rest of my life (Oooh, I shudder at that thought!)

My bad.  You meant my first bottle of CEHT SmB.  See above for my response.

Edited by CardsandBourbon
Stupidity!

I started with single barrel CEHT and didn’t really care much for it. 

Once I discovered the small batch, it won me over.   It still remains my favorite of the CEHT releases that I’ve tried, with 4 grain as my second place. 

That CEHT SiB can be superb, though.  Hard to bet on the honey barrel though at +$30.  I had a SiB that made the following SmB seem meh, but I doubt I find that again...

• I like it 1

Are you trying to start a new thread for people to post their thoughts of recently purchased bourbons that are first-time purchases?  

4 hours ago, Kepler said:

Are you trying to start a new thread for people to post their thoughts of recently purchased bourbons that are first-time purchases?  

That was the thought. First time, never tried, purchases of any brand. Probably should have been more concise in the initial post. Hope I'm not reopening an old post.

Started with CEHT because I had always passed it by at the LS, but picked one up based on recommendations from here. (Glad I did).

Thanks.

4 hours ago, Bret Bret said:

That was the thought. First time, never tried, purchases of any brand. Probably should have been more concise in the initial post. Hope I'm not reopening an old post.

Started with CEHT because I had always passed it by at the LS, but picked one up based on recommendations from here. (Glad I did).

Thanks.

Hadn't really passed as it just came out but I recently opened a bottle of Dickel 13 yr BiB and, I have to say, it's delicious!  The vitamin note on the nose has dissipated after a week of air into a sweet and wonderfully complex blend of flowers and caramel.  My first ever Dickel product and, I have to say, I'm impressed.  I may take the plunge on a SAOS Dickel SiB bottle after trying this.  

• I like it 2

Just bought 1792 SiB and I am hooked.  Looking forward to getting the SmB and Full Proof next month.

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, Bret Bret said:

Thanks.

Got it, thanks.  For me recent first time bottles are Dickel BiB 13 yr and David Nicholson 1843.  Thumbs up on the GD, thumbs sideways on the DN (only 1 pour of that one).

First purchase of Redemption 10 year high rye, the newer release in the new bottle. It was $80 at Total Wine in WI and amusingly, they had a bunch of the older release, old bottle, 9 year, at $100. If they had more than 1 bottle of this I would have gotten it (It's usually $100 here). Anyway, this stuff is great. Real classic high rye MGP here, like a really nice B recipe Four Roses.

I also got a Joseph Magnus store pick, barrel proof, TN sourced. Now I finally understand the vitamin thing people talk about with Dickel. I don't usually like Dickel, but this is pretty good. But that vitamin, ugh, I don't know about this one.

Edited by EarthQuake

On 7/27/2019 at 5:32 PM, 0895 said:

I started with single barrel CEHT and didn’t really care much for it. 

Once I discovered the small batch, it won me over.   It still remains my favorite of the CEHT releases that I’ve tried, with 4 grain as my second place. 

Have you ever had the barrel proof.  That's by far my favorite of the EH Taylor line (although to be fair I've only had the two Four Grains of the one-off releases).

1 hour ago, JoeTerp said:

Have you ever had the barrel proof.  That's by far my favorite of the EH Taylor line (although to be fair I've only had the two Four Grains of the one-off releases).

Yeah, they are always just middle of the road for me.   Good enough, But I never seem to reach for that bottle. 

I honestly like StaggJR better. 

Dickel BIB and Rebel Yell 100...Both new, and both delicious.

Edited by BDanner
  • I like it 1

On 7/28/2019 at 11:39 AM, PhantomLamb said:

Just bought 1792 SiB and I am hooked.  Looking forward to getting the SmB and Full Proof next month.

Try the 1792 BiB. A local LS has a 7 y.o. PS that is a banana bomb.

First time ever for the Early Times and first time I ever came across a Select Old Scout.  Both bought after reading comments on this forum.  Maybe a SBS...

0802191341a.jpg

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, ondarocks said:

Try the 1792 BiB. A local LS has a 7 y.o. PS that is a banana bomb.

I can't find that anywhere here in PA.  Would love to get a bottle though...

I bought the Dickel BIB.  It rang all the bells... great color, 13 year age statement and great price.  Unfortunately, as soon as I opened the bottle it smelled like I'd just opened a fresh bottle of Flintstones vitamins! 

Maybe the shock was enhanced somewhat by the fact that I've been away from Dickel for too long, but wow...:blink:

What is it about those TN whiskies? One is vitamin juice, and the other is banana juice. Pick your poison.

7 hours ago, Paddy said:

I bought the Dickel BIB.  It rang all the bells... great color, 13 year age statement and great price.  Unfortunately, as soon as I opened the bottle it smelled like I'd just opened a fresh bottle of Flintstones vitamins! 

I know what you mean about the Flintstones vitamins!  But that 13 y.o. BiB is still great whiskey, IMO.  And, for me, after the first sniff, the nose evolves away from vitamins to flowers, minerals and caramel. 

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, dcbt said:

What is it about those TN whiskies? One is vitamin juice, and the other is banana juice. Pick your poison.

?

5 hours ago, dcbt said:

I like both just fine, would probably go Dickel over Jack most of the time. 

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

I like both just fine, would probably go Dickel over Jack most of the time. 

I agree but the JD SiB BP is banana cream pie heaven...

7 hours ago, dcbt said:

All praise house styles!  The next time somebody says all American whiskies taste the same, and that’s why they drink other brown spirits, drop those babies down in front of them.  :D

• I like it 4

On 8/2/2019 at 12:48 PM, Bret Bret said:

First time ever for the Early Times and first time I ever came across a Select Old Scout.  Both bought after reading comments on this forum.  Maybe a SBS...

0802191341a.jpg

I’m hoping the ETBIB finds it’s way to AL.. my allure for BIB’s has my interest piqued.. I’m assuming if found will be priced reasonable.. ??

All praise house styles!  The next time somebody says all American whiskies taste the same, and that’s why they drink other brown spirits, drop those babies down in front of them.  [emoji3]

This [emoji115]x10!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.