What Rye Release Are You Looking Forward To?

JoeTerp
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

What Rye Release Are You Looking Forward To?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. What Rye Release Are You Looking Forward To?

• Thomas H Handy 2019 - $100
    • PHC #13 - 8 Year Rye Heavy Char - $150
    • Wild Turkey Master's Keep Cornerstone Rye - $175
    • Kentucky Owl Rye Batch #3 - $200 (haven't actually heard MSRP, but #2 sat on the shelf forever at this price point)
    • Hochstadter's Family Reserve - 20 years - $300
    • Something Else (please specify)
    • None of the Above
    • All of the Above

There's a bunch of limited edition ryes on the horizon and I'm curious what everyone is looking forward to.

Pretty much Parker's and WT Cornerstone for me off this list, both of which I believe to be overpriced. More enthusiastically awaiting the next KC Barrel Proof Rye. 

I rarely look forward to anything in the "special edition" category these day because of the price. I may still buy it but them don't look forward to any of it.

Whistlepig has a couple new ones coming out including an 18yo "Double Malt" (what ever the hell that means). It will be a "super bargain" as it reportedly will be $200 less than the last Boss Hog. So about $300. Definitely NOT looking forward to that.

There is also a WP ADL based 6yo "Piggyback" rye supposedly coming soon that is supposed to be "budget friendly". Notably it is not labelled as a "straight rye". With WP who knows what shenanigans that could mean. Given that we were recently getting 10-13yo barrel proof store picks of  WP for less than $100 they have set themselves a challenging bar to make a 6yo rye seem truly "budget friendly".

I will not hold my breath...

7 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I rarely look forward to anything in the "special edition" category these day because of the price. I may still buy it but them don't look forward to any of it.

Whistlepig has a couple new ones coming out including an 18yo "Double Malt" (what ever the hell that means). It will be a "super bargain" as it reportedly will be $200 less than the last Boss Hog. So about $300. Definitely NOT looking forward to that.

There is also a WP ADL based 6yo "Piggyback" rye supposedly coming soon that is supposed to be "budget friendly". Notably it is not labelled as a "straight rye". With WP who knows what shenanigans that could mean. Given that we were recently getting 10-13yo barrel proof store picks of  WP for less than $100 they have set themselves a challenging bar to make a 6yo rye seem truly "budget friendly".

I will not hold my breath...

I believe that Piggyback is out already (think it retails for around $60).  I think nowadays WP single barrels are the best high end rye value.

I picked the WT Master's Keep release.  Although  if I could secure all of them at retail I would pick the THH, WT MK, and the PHC).  Given that I'm unlikely to get any of those I'll probably try to get the KO3.  The Hochstadter's has me really curious as the 16 was really good but at a 50% price hike that seems a little steep.  Who knows I still may try that one, but would probably need to see some pretty great reviews first.

I voted for the WTMK, because I’m a big WT rye fan. I’ll end up buying the PHC and Handy if I see them too. I will say I’m very excited to try 6 year WFE house-distilled rye whenever that starts to get bottled, and that won’t be “cheap” but will be a better value than most of these. 

On 7/27/2019 at 3:18 PM, BottledInBond said:

I voted for the WTMK, because I’m a big WT rye fan. I’ll end up buying the PHC and Handy if I see them too. I will say I’m very excited to try 6 year WFE house-distilled rye whenever that starts to get bottled, and that won’t be “cheap” but will be a better value than most of these. 

They are bottling single barrels of house distilled rye already.

I picked one up in May in KY. 

KYO #2 is still sitting on shelves here. Just saw some today. As is the first batch of KC BP Rye.

3 hours ago, 0895 said:

They are bottling single barrels of house distilled rye already.

I picked one up in May in KY. 

Nice. I haven’t had much luck with WFE bottles at the gift shop on my last several trips but I’ll be there again in September so maybe I’ll finally be rewarded this time 

• I like it 1

New Riff should be close to having a 5 yr old.

I'm not really a rye connoisseur, but grabbed the WTMK since I like WT. It's the best rye I've ever had. Definitely closer to the barely legal rye side, as it misses most of the grassy notes I find high ryes to have, but was worth the price of admission. I'll buy a backup.

Piggyback is out in my area for around $45.

I’ll be a buyer of the WTMK Cornerstone, PHC and THH if I get a chance to buy them all at retail. I’m pretty sure I’ll be able to find a bottle of the Cornerstone, but the other two are always question marks.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.