Little Book Chapter 3 - a KSBW

Jazz June
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, Jazz June said:

Likely the best bourbon I have ever had from the Beam distillery. It’s not cheap but I’m considering how many to pick up while I still can.

I agree with this. I was able to add one to the stash, but at the rate the first one is disappearing maybe I should see if there is another on the shelf 

I was able to bunker one bottle in addition to the one that's open,  but it appears to have disappeared from the shelves in these parts.    Looks like the word is out that this one's special.  

23 hours ago, Jazz June said:

I cracked one of these and it is very good. I’d also expect it to improve with air being BP and all. Lot of Basil Hayden flavor on entry and a big cherry cola sweetness on the finish. Likely the best bourbon I have ever had from the Beam distillery. It’s not cheap but I’m considering how many to pick up while I still can.

Same. Got this a few weeks ago and it really stands up. Wish it wasn't so pricey. Not sure if I should go out any get another. 

IMG_20191115_145921.jpg

Edited by ABVT

I keep going back and forth on whether I should pick this one up.

I tend to really, really like Knob Creek store picks in the 14-15 year range (I like drier, oakier bourbons). Two of which I can get in the $40-50 price range at couple local stores right now.

I don't tend to like Booker's very much. It always seems a bit young, and highlights some of the flavors I don't like in Beam, like the weird nuttiness. I have not had Baker's, and Basil Hayden is 80 proof so who really knows there, but I do like high rye bourbon in general.

Knowing my preferences, does it make sense to drop $120 on one of these?

Edited by EarthQuake

2 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

I tend to really, really like Knob Creek store picks in the 14-15 year range (I like drier, oakier bourbons). Two of which I can get in the $40-50 price range at couple local stores right now.

I don't tend to like Booker's very much. It always seems a bit young, and highlights some of the flavors I don't like in Beam, like the weird nuttiness. I have not had Baker's, and Basil Hayden is 80 proof so who really knows there, but I do like high rye bourbon in general.

Personally I’d say yes. Your concern if youngish Booker’s is not a concern here as the Booker’s component is 11 year. The Basil Hayden’s 80 proof is not a concern as this is all barrel proof (~122 Proof which is close to the 120 KCSB you like). It includes some KC which you know you like. Baker’s I think is considered to be an underrated pour by many here. $120 is a little higher than I paid (grabbed 2 @ $100 each) but I think this stuff is good, and a complex pour to work through slowly. 

Everyone’s preferences are different though and maybe you won’t get as much enjoyment out of a bottle of this as you would 2-2.5 bottles of KCSB picks. But I really doubt you’d buy this and not think it was good whiskey and unique.

cheers

• I like it 2

22 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

Seems to me that the blend is very Basil-forward, so this comes across as an extremely well-aged OGD114 seasoned with the other components. I'm going to try bringing it down to 51% ABV with a 50/50 blend of BH10 just for grins. The average price of my two bottles was $74.99, so it was an easy call based on the listed build bourbons.

IMG_3340.thumb.jpg.5bdb1e1e31bea23b2b8b1febd872b9e5.jpg

2 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Seems to me that the blend is very Basil-forward, so this comes across as an extremely well-aged OGD114 seasoned with the other components. I'm going to try bringing it down to 51% ABV with a 50/50 blend of BH10 just for grins. The average price of my two bottles was $74.99, so it was an easy call based on the listed build bourbons.

Ok - now I am intrigued - OGD114 is a go to for me so...

• I like it 1

On 11/17/2019 at 10:01 AM, EarthQuake said:

I also recommend picking it up.  FWIW I like KC picks very much.  I rarely buy BH.  I do not like OGD114 on its own and only buy to blend into GW4G.  I also do not care for regular Booker's at all.  I agree that it is too young and ends up being a hot mess.  I like the description of weird nuttiness.  I revisit every so often and same results.   That said, I really enjoyed this bottle and would buy another if I say it. Probably more than one if I see in under $100.

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

I also recommend picking it up.  FWIW I like KC picks very much.  I rarely buy BH.  I do not like OGD114 on its own and only buy to blend into GW4G.  I also do not care for regular Booker's at all.  I agree that it is too young and ends up being a hot mess.  I like the description of weird nuttiness.  I revisit every so often and same results.   That said, I really enjoyed this bottle and would buy another if I say it. Probably more than one if I see in under $100.

Oooh I think you pretty much nailed my palate here. I do not care for OGD114, it's far too young, I mean for the price it's not bad but I wouldn't go out of my way to drink it. Very tempted but I think I'll try to find one at closer to $100 or so if I can.

@Marekv8 at $75 I would be all over it too! 

Saw a store near my parents had some. Told them would be an awesome Christmas present. Told them they wouldn’t be around long. Hopefully they are quick enough. Imagine they will be gone either tomorrow or Saturday.

2 hours ago, marshall9779 said:

Saw a store near my parents had some. Told them would be an awesome Christmas present. Told them they wouldn’t be around long. Hopefully they are quick enough. Imagine they will be gone either tomorrow or Saturday.

When first reading this, I believed it was your parents that you were judging "wouldn't be around long".  I thought that was a rather forceful argument for you to make in order to convince them to get you an expensive Christmas gift this year.  Sorry, my mistake.

• I like it 4

On 11/18/2019 at 9:53 AM, Marekv8 said:

IMG_3340.thumb.jpg.5bdb1e1e31bea23b2b8b1febd872b9e5.jpg

A purveyor near me (from whom I buy regularly but USUALLY only when stuff is on sale) sold me several things at 20% off and then tried to recover the discount by offering me one of these at ONLY "20% above my cost - you can have it for $158."  I passed.

48 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

A purveyor near me (from whom I buy regularly but USUALLY only when stuff is on sale) sold me several things at 20% off and then tried to recover the discount by offering me one of these at ONLY "20% above my cost - you can have it for $158."  I passed.

I paid $109.99 plus tax.

• I like it 1

21 hours ago, Swamp55 said:

When first reading this, I believed it was your parents that you were judging "wouldn't be around long".  I thought that was a rather forceful argument for you to make in order to convince them to get you an expensive Christmas gift this year.  Sorry, my mistake.

I thought exactly the same thing lol.

I was fortunate enough to get an initial bottle from Eric at Packages & More in Elizabethtown.  I love it.  I am an admitted Beam fan and this is, imho, one of the best Beam bottles I have experienced.  I think it compares nicely to the 25th/10yr Booker's release.  Eric originally only got one bottle for his E'town store, which I got.  Yesterday he called me to advise that he had picked up an additional bottle if I wanted it.  Obviously I went and picked it up--my Christmas present to myself!

fullsizeoutput_29ed.jpeg

Edited by Kyjd75
  • I like it 3

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 10:01 AM, EarthQuake said:

I guess I don't understand why you would even consider it.  But hype does strange things to our judgment sometimes, myself included for sure. 

But think about what you said:  A, you don't like Booker's, which is roughly $65-75 in most markets these days.  B, you've never even tried standard Baker's at $50ish?

Doesn't make sense to drop LE-level cash for it given this.

Go buy a Baker's and if you like that, maybe then it will be worth it to go all the way to the top.

6 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I guess I don't understand why you would even consider it.  But hype does strange things to our judgment sometimes, myself included for sure. 

But think about what you said:  A, you don't like Booker's, which is roughly $65-75 in most markets these days.  B, you've never even tried standard Baker's at $50ish?

Doesn't make sense to drop LE-level cash for it given this.

Go buy a Baker's and if you like that, maybe then it will be worth it to go all the way to the top.

Yeah I'm probably being an idiot.

Oh well, in my infinite stupidity I have already ordered a bottle. Luckily I found one for $90 at a shop online, $106 shipped total, the cheapest I had been able to find was gonna be about $145 total, so I placed an order. It's the time of year where I always spend a little too much on something I otherwise would not have purchased. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.

I guess we'll find out soon enough!

Edited by EarthQuake

17 minutes ago, EarthQuake said:

It's the time of year where I always spend a little too much on something I otherwise would not have purchased. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.

I'm right there with you on this brother! ?  You ain't the only one. I bet you'll like it.

• I like it 2

On 11/27/2019 at 9:29 PM, EarthQuake said:

Yeah I'm probably being an idiot.

Oh well, in my infinite stupidity I have already ordered a bottle. Luckily I found one for $90 at a shop online, $106 shipped total, the cheapest I had been able to find was gonna be about $145 total, so I placed an order. It's the time of year where I always spend a little too much on something I otherwise would not have purchased. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.

I guess we'll find out soon enough!

So How did it work out? Have you had a chance to give this one a go?

FWIW I was able to find another bottle at a favorable price and am happy enough with that. 

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, RWBadley said:

So How did it work out? Have you had a chance to give this one a go?

FWIW I was able to find another bottle at a favorable price and am happy enough with that. 

It's going under the christmas tree so I will have to wait a few weeks to find out. I'll report back when I crack it open!

I've liked the first two chapters, but they've been far from typical Beam products, so I'm very curious to try this one, given that it is a more traditional blend of Beam bourbons.

• I like it 1

This past weekend I saw a Chapter 2 @ a tad over $200.00.  Pass.

Biba!  Joe

• I like it 1

Chapter 2 was appealing if you like Canadian. It was one of the better Canadian whiskeys I've tried.

At $200 forget it. 

LB3 is just way better all around to my taste as a mostly Bourbon drinker.   And if found at the 100-115 price point, while expensive isn't out of line for what is -to me- an exemplary LE.

Whoda thunk it would be from Beam-Suntory   hahaha

• 2 months later...
On 12/4/2019 at 8:23 PM, EarthQuake said:

It's going under the christmas tree so I will have to wait a few weeks to find out. I'll report back when I crack it open!

I've liked the first two chapters, but they've been far from typical Beam products, so I'm very curious to try this one, given that it is a more traditional blend of Beam bourbons.

So how was your impression of the LB3? 

I keep coming back to it as one of my favorites. Something about it just hits all the right notes for me. There are several other Bourbon that have done this. Some of the old Pappy 15,  2013 Birthday Bourbon,  Some of the ECBP and GTS vintages....

When tasting, for me it has Never been a  ' This would be perfect if only...' it's more  just a 'wowza I can't think of anything I could do to improve it and boy is it good' sorta thing. Having said that I've always approached it in a state of readiness, and not at a time when I knew I couldn't appreciate it fully due to time or other constraints.

I also just picked up another bottle for 99$ which in today's market doesn't seem so out of line. Tho it's still  on the high side the value is there in quality IMHO

Your thoughts?

Cheers,

RW

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.