Little Book Chapter 3 - a KSBW

Jazz June
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

See: https://www.gobourbon.com/little-book-chapter-3-is-series-first-kentucky-straight-bourbon/

It's going to be a blend of:

Knob Creek – 9 years old, 117.4 proof
Baker’s – 12 years old, 126.6 proof
Basil Hayden’s – 9 years, 123 proof
Booker’s – 11 years, 129.2 proof

With an MSRP of "around $125." I would prefer to buy the 9yr barrel proof Basil Hayden and/or the 11yr Booker's, but this might be good too.

• I like it 7

This does sound delicious, although I'd love to try just the BH and Baker's components at barrel proof.  I thought the first release was blah, but really enjoyed the 2nd.  

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, afmadd said:

This does look really good.  I wonder why the KC is under 120 proof?

KC must come from the bottom floors of the warehouse which may account for it's different flavor profile.  I recall that some of the 25th anniversary bottles were barely over 120 so barrels lower than that are probably not uncommon and would just go into the KC SmB 100 proof.  All conjecture on my part, however...

• I like it 2

6 hours ago, GaryT said:

This does sound delicious, although I'd love to try just the BH and Baker's components at barrel proof.  I thought the first release was blah, but really enjoyed the 2nd.  

Agree the first release did not appeal at all, but I thought Batch two was great.  Still a few bottles on the shelf that I am considering buying.  Definitely interested in this one as well.   

• I like it 3

The 2nd release was top notch blending with top notch ingredients.  The 3rd looks like it could be another winner.

• I like it 2

This sounds interesting and the price is at least in the vicinity of reasonable. But, aren't the Booker's and Baker's components old enough that it predates when Beam started customizing the distillation and entry proofs for KC, Bakers, and Bookers? Still sounds like a fun blend to me.

Also, count me as someone else who'd love to try an older barrel proof BH on its own.

I wasn't interested in either of the first two, but will likely try to find a bottle of this one.  The good news is that this isn't all that likely to end up in the VA ABC lottery.

On 8/1/2019 at 10:13 PM, Jazz June said:

With an MSRP of "around $125." I would prefer to buy the 9yr barrel proof Basil Hayden and/or the 11yr Booker's, but this might be good too.

Yeah I agree.  I'd rather just have pure Booker's 11 yr.

Hmm I don't understand this one. Sounds like they didn't really have a good design or direction, and just mixed everything they had together. Which is, yes, all bourbon out there, but having brand names listed there is just odd. This says nothing about it's taste, of course. Just my ramblings.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Kane said:

Hmm I don't understand this one. Sounds like they didn't really have a good design or direction, and just mixed everything they had together. Which is, yes, all bourbon out there, but having brand names listed there is just odd. This says nothing about it's taste, of course. Just my ramblings.

That's a fair point - it isn't like there are 4 different mashbills being blended (BH is the only different mashbill in the bunch).  I don't mind them listing the brands, as it imparts some expectations on character profile, where they were aged, etc.  And likely if they just used the mashbill and folks said " Ain't that the same as Jim Beam White?  Hmmm . . . allow me to invite you to sit and spin on the nearest . . . " it would be less descriptive.  I'm assuming when they say Knob Creek, those barrels were already set aside & designated for KC.

But agree - it is odd; I can't think of another one where a distillery has used their other brands to describe a blend (I mean, PHC Blend of Mashbills was just that, not blend of HMcK, Larceny, etc).

16 hours ago, Kane said:

13 hours ago, GaryT said:

That's a fair point - it isn't like there are 4 different mashbills being blended (BH is the only different mashbill in the bunch).  I don't mind them listing the brands, as it imparts some expectations on character profile, where they were aged, etc.  And likely if they just used the mashbill and folks said " Ain't that the same as Jim Beam White?  Hmmm . . . allow me to invite you to sit and spin on the nearest . . . " it would be less descriptive.  I'm assuming when they say Knob Creek, those barrels were already set aside & designated for KC.

But agree - it is odd; I can't think of another one where a distillery has used their other brands to describe a blend (I mean, PHC Blend of Mashbills was just that, not blend of HMcK, Larceny, etc).

I feel like there are at least suspicions that char level, barrel entry proof, warehousing etc are different for some of Beam's products. 

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

I feel like there are at least suspicions that char level, barrel entry proof, warehousing etc are different for some of Beam's products. 

Might there also be some difference in what is distilled at Clermont and Boston? 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

Just now, fishnbowljoe said:

Might there also be some difference in what is distilled at Clermont and Boston? 

Biba! Joe

Would be nice to know all of these things :) 

11 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

8 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

Agreed on all points.  Even keeping the same char level and barrel entry with the same distillate, you get different outcomes by warehousing alone (ala Buffalo Trace).  Which is why using the brands makes sense . . . but I can't think of another instance where someone has.  I mean - they batch barrels to get to a profile (other than 1b brands).  If they pull a barrel that they had aged intentionally to be Blantons, but it turns out to be way off profile, I expect that gets dumped into the next batch of Ancient Age.  But they don't market it as a blend of Blantons, ETL, and RHF rejects :lol:  Not disagreeing that the brands are different end products - just agreeing with @Kane that referencing the other brands isn't something you see often.  

• I like it 3

Its going to be very good, just a little high, but what the hell...... isn’t all the good stuff.  

I love the second release and have bought several bottles.    I'm disappointed the price is going to jump considerably for the third release,  but I'll probably spring for it.    Given the quantity and quality of the Beam whiskey I've been sipping lately,  I'm very interested in a blend of their best.

Currently,  I have four Beam bottles open,  which is likely a record for me:   a Beam single barrel,   Bakers,   Bookers (Backyard BBQ) and a 14-year old Knob Creek barrel proof store pick (from Canal's in South Jersey).

Two single barrels,  a small batch and a careful blend.    Each similar, and yet each different.   I could mix 'em up and save $125,  but I like the way "Little Book" promotes the art of blending.   I look forward to supporting his efforts.    

Edited by Jazzhead
  • I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

This one sounds right up my alley.  I’ll be on the lookout for it for sure.  I do think they will have a little more of a probability to sit due to price increase & the majority of people not knowing differences between batches.  Honestly, it was a little while before I even knew that the second wasn’t the same blend as the first. :rolleyes:

Don't recall what actually MSRP was but I remember seeing #1 for around $90 and #2 for $100. The #3 at $125 doesn't seem like a huge step unless the prices I quoted were already way above MSRP and street price on #3 will be more in the $150 range.

9 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Local is having a sale on #2 for $70. Still not sure I'll bite.

I'd be in trouble.

I've been 'listening' to all the comments here, and awaiting someone's impressions of the actual distillate. 

I thought by now, someone might've been able to sample it, if not obtain a bottle.   

From the description available from B/S I'd have to imagine this would be a wonderful Bourbon, and that I'd love it; but, of course the actual percentages of the various barrels will certainly alter the profile a good deal.   

The fact that it's all barrel proof Bourbon (I believe) and is bottled NCF makes it likely to be at least an interesting pour.

The main caveat, as is so often the case any more, is that MSRP: $125.   That means it likely won't see many shelves (if it indeed actually sees ANY shelves) below $150.

I'm not sure I want to try it that badly.   If, after trying it at some smaller quantity (and lower cash-outlay), it really blew my hair back, I might change my mind.

• I like it 1

16 hours ago, Clueby said:

Local is having a sale on #2 for $70. Still not sure I'll bite.

16 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

I'd be in trouble.

Agree, I'd buy 2 more at least.  I thought #2 was a great pour.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.