Bernheim Original Kentucky Straight Wheat Whiskey 7 Year Old

DaveD
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I know not technically a bourbon, but just discovered this... 

Bernheim Original Kentucky Straight Wheat Whiskey 7 Year Old 

Heaven Hill claims that it was the first new style of American whiskey since prohibition! Don't know if that is true, but great story. 
https://heavenhilldistillery.com/ 

My tasting = toffee, honey, caramel, bananas foster, smooth, enjoyable!  

Does anyone else make a "straight wheat whiskey"?  

Bernheim.thumb.jpg.15cf80e9ec115c57dadd1a58c2c7c10e.jpg

It’s good stuff. I’ve got a few bottles including a barrel pick a local store had a few years ago that is excellent.

On late Summer evenings after Sundown when we're sitting outside, I like sipping Bernheim neat when bourbons sipped neat (unless right out of the freezer) seem a bit hot.  While (to me) wheat whiskey is not as complex as bourbon, it comes across as creamy (nice mouth feel) and slightly sweet (think Hot Ralston cereal if you're old enough to remember it).  That can be fully satisfying on some days.

EDIT - Here's a link to a recent thread talking about an AD Laws wheat whiskey.  I also did a quick search of SB and found some previous discussions of Bernheim.  I'd forgotten about some of them even though I posted in them.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 1

There's a nice one out of North Texas called Lone Elm Wheat Whiskey. Not sure of its distribution reach, tho...

I have a friend who loves wheaters and he really liked this one.  Probably a go to for him now.  I've only had it once and thought it was good.  I should probably give it another try.  Don't think I have ever tried any other wheat whiskey.

A few years back Masterson's had a Canadian sourced 12 year old Straight 100% Wheat whiskey

I might be in the minority but I found it drank a lot hotter than its proof. I was more than happy when the bottle was empty so I could clear space on the shelf for something else.

5 hours ago, dcbt said:

There's a nice one out of North Texas called Lone Elm Wheat Whiskey. Not sure of its distribution reach, tho...

Their single barrel cask strength version is pretty tasty.  I like it better than any other whiskey/bourbon from Texas.

8 minutes ago, NDN98 said:

Their single barrel cask strength version is pretty tasty.  I like it better than any other whiskey/bourbon from Texas.

Not a particularly high bar to clear... ;)

• I like it 2

For me, this Bernheim 7 y/o wheat whiskey is most interesting for it's story relating to the history of bourbon.  I bought a few bottles for $26/ea a few years ago in MD.  It's alright, better than no whiskey! 

I'll keep a reference bottle in the tasting library.  

On 8/2/2019 at 4:17 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

While (to me) wheat whiskey is not as complex as bourbon, it comes across as creamy (nice mouth feel) and slightly sweet (think Hot Ralston cereal if you're old enough to remember it).  That can be fully satisfying on some days.

That was a perfect description..creamy and sweet.  A few times (I think when food was involved) it seemed cloyingly sweet. I have to definitely be in the mood for it.

• I like it 1

I've tried the Bernheim several times over the years and I've yet to be wowed. It's not bad, it's just simple and a bit hot and thin.

On the other hand, the new Woodford Wheat whiskey is really something. Very mild but very flavorful. A real enjoyable pour!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.