Wild Turkey Master's Keep Cornerstone Rye

JoeTerp
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 minutes ago, BusterChestnut said:

You have his email?

Haha, no. But the original Orphan Barrel releases were known for having crazy serial number variance. Nobody could figure out why they'd do it then, either.

I'm starting to waffle on this one a bit.  When it was announced I was all gung-ho but after reading some reviews from sources I trust (palates that have a history of being in sync with mine) I'm not so sure I'm a buyer at the high price of $175.  I'm going to have to hear more.  

Well, as much as I was thinking this is probably going to be "whiskey of the year", back to old school turkey rye...…. No.

I've had mine open for 2 weeks now, and its ok, good at best. I have a WT 101 rye open from 2005 and it's quite a bit better. I know it's going to get better, but I didn't find anything special about this rye yet.  I still love my Turkey, but this to me didn't do this MK line up any good. 

• I like it 2

On 8/16/2019 at 9:16 PM, BusterChestnut said:

You have his email?

I believe it is

“wemakethissh*tup@Diageo.com” 

?

:o

• I like it 4

18 hours ago, LCWoody said:

Well, as much as I was thinking this is probably going to be "whiskey of the year", back to old school turkey rye...…. No.

I've had mine open for 2 weeks now, and its ok, good at best. I have a WT 101 rye open from 2005 and it's quite a bit better. I know it's going to get better, but I didn't find anything special about this rye yet.  I still love my Turkey, but this to me didn't do this MK line up any good. 

Depressing 

On 8/19/2019 at 12:39 PM, BottledInBond said:

Depressing 

I’d love to do this one blind with rr and r101, but I do have all 3 and I can say now that cornerstone is one of the best ryes I’ve ever had.  Thick and oily and a finish that lasts a long time.  

• I like it 1

On 8/18/2019 at 5:59 PM, LCWoody said:

I want to clarify my statement, this is a really good pour. The older bottle, younger rye, is more rye forward. This Cornerstone rye is very bourbon forward. Kind of like KC rye or the old age stated Rittenhouse rye, even the old Willett ryes. They loose the spice, the Rye punch. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I was expecting more rye. This is a very good drink, but if you have rye on your mind when you drink it, it may not come across as rye. I hope this makes sense. 

04868075-626F-4CFF-9EAC-CE1A725F0365.thumb.jpeg.6ae9a95690307ee7e00436bee445819d.jpeg

Edited by LCWoody
  • I like it 2

9 hours ago, LCWoody said:

I want to clarify my statement, this is a really good pour. The older bottle, younger rye, is more rye forward. This Cornerstone rye is very bourbon forward. Kind of like KC rye or the old age stated Rittenhouse rye, even the old Willett ryes. They loose the spice, the Rye punch. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I was expecting more rye. This is a very good drink, but if you have rye on your mind when you drink it, it may not come across as rye. I hope this makes sense. 

04868075-626F-4CFF-9EAC-CE1A725F0365.thumb.jpeg.6ae9a95690307ee7e00436bee445819d.jpeg

I’ve seen SBS reviews comparing WTCR to KO Batch 1 stating similar re: rye influence.

The only non-MGP ryes I’ve had from Willett were 20+ years and a different beast altogether. Those were typical KSRs of the Medley/CoK lineage to my limited knowledge. Still waiting on the house-distillate to age and not retail for $50/yr... that’s just insanely stupid to me.

I picked up a couple WTCRs knowing it was the oldest rye ever released by WT and that the RRSBR can be stellar. I will probably grab a couple more, although there is so much fantastic and readily-available rye out there like the aforementioned RRSBR, Pikesville, and can even find KOB1s if you look, that I won’t be too disappointed missing out on additional WTCRs.

Always appreciate reading honest reviews and feedback that isn’t slanted by the maddening of the crowd, which in the current climate limits me to a few sites and UGC (like we have here).

• I like it 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2019 at 10:29 AM, jvd99 said:

Has this landed in Illinois yet?  Haven’t seen any around here

Yep.  I’ve seen a few shops in Chicago that have had them.  They seem to be selling fast though.  

On 9/1/2019 at 10:29 AM, jvd99 said:

Has this landed in Illinois yet?  Haven’t seen any around here

It is definitely long gone from Binnys.  I got mine there about a month ago.  Unsure if there might be any later shipments.  Your best bet would probably be to search smaller local shops that don't get cleared as fast as Binnys does.

• 2 months later...
On 8/18/2019 at 5:59 PM, LCWoody said:

Exactly my experience. Money was wasted on this one.

Interesting differences of opinion in this thread.   I thought it was great, and likely some of the last WT rye distilled at the old/original distillery. 

• I like it 1

• 3 months later...

I'm pretty new to this forum, but thought I'd throw in my two cents on this one.  First off I was really excited by this bottle. I love WT and all things rye. I'm quite taken by the art on the bottle. With that said I also really enjoyed the juice. I found sweet notes of honey and quince in the sip. The finish was long and oily with notes of caramel and spice. But not as much as one would expect from such time in a barrel. The mellowing is evidence of its age, but very little wood shows through. I am very glad to have gotten two. But at the price I'm in no rush to get a third. I probably will.

IMG_20200215_134648.jpg

• I like it 1

I succumbed (like I knew I would) and picked up this one too awhile ago.  I think it's damned good myself.  I've only directly compared it to WT101 so far and certainly the Cornerstone was better.  Of course it should be!  I look forward to doing some SBS's with some ryes closer to the same age and price.

On 2/15/2020 at 1:59 PM, Mattk said:

I love WT and all things rye. I'm quite taken by the art on the bottle. With that said I also really enjoyed the juice. I found sweet notes of honey and quince in the sip.

Quince, eh? I go your quince right here!

B1F929C9-AB05-4C73-B6C9-57B514B7B73B.jpeg.5b5d70e2046a45ecf79b0fb4be43e7be.jpeg

Edited by tanstaafl2

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

B1F929C9-AB05-4C73-B6C9-57B514B7B73B.jpeg.5b5d70e2046a45ecf79b0fb4be43e7be.jpeg

That looks like it would pair really well with a nice manchego

4 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

2 hours ago, Mattk said:

That looks like it would pair really well with a nice manchego

Alright guys.....quit talking about stuff I gotta look up. I don't need your help in reinforcing how dumb I am :blink: :D

Edited by Vosgar
  • I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.