National Rum Day - What are you drinking?

StarSurfer55
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Today is National Rum Day.  Tell us how you are observing this occasion.

Since I am a Mt. Gay fan. I am going to start with some XO and finish with a bit of 1703. 

I will have a pitcher of Make Me Disappear ready for my friends (Blue Chair Bay White Rum).

I have designs on some Rum Painkillers again this weekend!! 

4 parts pineapple juice

1 part orange juice

1 part cream of coconut

1 part spiced Rum (or more, to taste).  

I also often use a splash of lemon/lime juices and grapefruit bitters. 

Gus’s,

do do you stay with Pusser’s or do you sub in other spiced rums. 

For the Make Me Disappear, it calls for Blue Chair Bay White Rum but since my local liquor stores are having problems keeping it in stock, I have found that Meyers white works well. 

Forgot to add method:  Add all liquid ingredients into shaker and shake with no ice until frothy.  Pour over large ice cubes and garnish with fresh grated nutmeg.  (Avoid shaking with ice or refrigerating the mixture, this may cause the coconut fats to solidify and ruin the flavor and texture of the drink!!) 

This one is a creeper and can take your soul.  You've been warned. 

SS,

I avoid Pussers due to their heavy handed defense of a ridiculous patent on a stolen idea. 

Shame on you Pussers Rum Ltd!!!   

?

Edited by Guss West
doh

I had a couple pours of Appleton Estate 12yr tonight. I actually bought this bottle at the distillery years ago, and it’s getting down to a low enough fill level that I need to finish it off pretty soon. It will be missed.

• I like it 1

My Jamaican rum flight of open bottles right now is the Appleton 12, Smith and Cross, and the Hamilton's. 

Edited by Guss West
doh
  • I like it 1

Thanks for sharing, everyone.  Looks like we all celebrated National Rum Day in good fashion. Enjoy the remainder of your weekend. 

• I like it 1

For National Rum Day Friday night I started off with a 1989 25yo Demerara from Faultline. Don’t remember all the details but it was Guyana sourced but likely aged mostly in Scotland. Pretty good none the less!

39AA70DD-2897-48AF-9BD1-871AD68AEF19.thumb.jpeg.d5db4cc19cb750bc609359957b23e9d9.jpeg

Followed this with a few tiki-esque rum cocktails to round out the evening!

• I like it 2

14 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

For National Rum Day Friday night I started off with a 1989 25yo Demerara from Faultline. Don’t remember all the details but it was Guyana sourced but likely aged mostly in Scotland. Pretty good none the less!

39AA70DD-2897-48AF-9BD1-871AD68AEF19.thumb.jpeg.d5db4cc19cb750bc609359957b23e9d9.jpeg

Followed this with a few tiki-esque rum cocktails to round out the evening!

It's the Enmore Wooden Coffey Still.

A bottle of this just recently sold for about 600GBP on a UK auction site.

They were discounted to 99 bucks because K+L couldn't move 'em for their original price of 199 in California 5yrs ago.

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

It's the Enmore Wooden Coffey Still.

A bottle of this just recently sold for about 600GBP on a UK auction site.

They were discounted to 99 bucks because K+L couldn't move 'em for their original price of 199 in California 5yrs ago.

Well those days definitely seem to be over in the near term...

7 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Well those days definitely seem to be over in the near term...

The near term, yes. 

But once the ramped up Bourbon, Irish, Scotch and even Tequila production hits maturity, I think US buyers will be too busy chasing their first loves again.

Rum in the US was the last to rise, and I expect it will be first to fall.

Discus numbers this year already showed a drop in cases of rum while everything else keeps climbing. Now, that's not elite products like the bottle above, but it does indicate SOMETHING about the way the catergory is moving.

Edited by The Black Tot
  • I like it 1

20 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

The near term, yes. 

But once the ramped up Bourbon, Irish, Scotch and even Tequila production hits maturity, I think US buyers will be too busy chasing their first loves again.

Rum in the US was the last to rise, and I expect it will be first to fall.

Discus numbers this year already showed a drop in cases of rum while everything else keeps climbing. Now, that's not elite products like the bottle above, but it does indicate SOMETHING about the way the catergory is moving.

I think it's already begun to calm, I can walk into KL today and find a half dozen of the exceptional cask releases alongside several samaroli/caroni releases etc. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.