Bourbon out of the Freezer or Fridge...

bayouredd
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have noticed a couple of posts with chilled bourbons. Most I think have been 4R & maybe one other. I thought I would give this a try with my last few pours of a dwindling bottle of OWA.

After pouring my first & letting it sit for maybe a minute, I though it was wonderful, as did my visitors. I put the second pour in the glass back in the freezer & got a few more degrees of chill on it. It wasn't nearly as good, but as it sat & warmed up a bit, it was back to wonderful... My visitors agreed! Personally, I drink most, neat. I don't care for a splash or ice, so this was worth another try with other bourbons.

What other bourbons chilled in the fridge or freezer have been deemed a success or failure? Or do you think this is just dumb?

All opinions welcomed...

Refrigerated bourbons are quite popular here. My go to in past years was HHBIB. This summer it has been T. W. Samuels and HH 90 proof. Both have proven to be very tasty from the fridge .

Nothing wrong with a chilled bourbon; beats ice that melts and waters down the elixir . Personally, I keep a bottle of Bulleit stashed in the freezer. But I don’t chill my “higher-end” bourbons. All about how you enjoy! 

Early Times Bottled in Bond is also quite good chilled (fridge or 1-2 cubes)

if your lucky enough to be in the distribution area. 

4 hours ago, 0895 said:

Early Times Bottled in Bond is also quite good chilled (fridge or 1-2 cubes)

if your lucky enough to be in the distribution area. 

Crap!  <_< It looks like I might have to give yet another bottle a try in the fridge. So far HH6 BIB and Weller SR have been very admirable as (summer) fridge bottles. Maybe too much so. For some unknown reason, fridge bottles don't last near as long as others do  'round my house. :huh: What can I say? :P

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

We've been having a cool summer here in the PNW so I haven't had my customary bottle of 4RYL in the freezer. Decided Saturday to try some WTRB because I heard that is how Jimmy likes it. Don't know if that's true but it's a good enough reason to try.

Not sure about it on the first try but I didn't give it long enough to fully get cold so I'm going to try again tonight.

• I like it 1

48 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

My fridge bottle has been OGD BIB for the last few years 

Oh! I’ve done this before but forgot until you just mentioned it. OGDBIB is great out of the fridge. 

• I like it 1

I love doing this. I always drink neat and have been placing my pours into the freezer for 10-15 minutes, especially this summer. I find as my pour starts to warm up it hits a sweet spot of temp to flavor.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

You just made Harry smile Kevin. :lol:

Biba! Joe

Every man has a hero!

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, flahute said:

We've been having a cool summer here in the PNW so I haven't had my customary bottle of 4RYL in the freezer. Decided Saturday to try some WTRB because I heard that is how Jimmy likes it. Don't know if that's true but it's a good enough reason to try.

Not sure about it on the first try but I didn't give it long enough to fully get cold so I'm going to try again tonight.

Checking back in to say that, fully 'frozen', WTRB is fantastic.

• I like it 3

I find that good Ryes are great from the fridge and freezer. I also agree with the post above, rare breed tastes great cold.

7 hours ago, flahute said:

Checking back in to say that, fully 'frozen', WTRB is fantastic.

With our current heat wave in Beantown, I tried WTRB (116.8pf) neat in my Yeti highball after a good 30 minutes in the freezer last night.   WOOF good!   Gonna' try my vat of 3xWTRB:2xBernheim Wheat that way tonite.   Maybe do a SBS, but I don't have 2 Yetis . . . . . ?

Edited by GeeTen

I havent found a bottle that is bad chilled, but lower shelf options improve to me.  I had a David Nicholson white label that was just ok on the shelf, but was quite tasty out of the freezer.

1 hour ago, gurgalunas said:

I havent found a bottle that is bad chilled, but lower shelf options improve to me.  I had a David Nicholson white label that was just ok on the shelf, but was quite tasty out of the freezer.

Bourbon is best at room temp just like a fine Cab (I'm making an assumption since I don't drink wine). A heavy chill dulls the taste. Now I'm sure on a hot summer day for those that are purist, and want it neat, that's a great thing. But I agree with gurg here it would only improve bottom shelf offerings or maybe a higher proof option.

Edited by FacePlant

I copied the 4RYL in the freezer that multiple people have done. I've also had WTRB out of the freezer during the summer, which is nice. I also keep a bottle in the freezer if I solely use it as a mixer, which currently is Old Bardstown Estate. It was a gift from a friend. It's not something I necessarily enjoy neat, but it works well when mixed with Simply Lemonade and a splash of Cherry Heering. 

Unless it's in a mixed drink, I prefer room temperature whiskey.

The only exception is Mellow Corn. I keep a bottle of it in the freezer.

2 hours ago, FacePlant said:

Bourbon is best at room temp just like a fine Cab (I'm making an assumption since I don't drink wine). 

Okaaaaayyyy..., not sure you closed the deal, there...  :D

2 hours ago, FacePlant said:

Bourbon is best at room temp just like a fine Cab (I'm making an assumption since I don't drink wine). A heavy chill dulls the taste. Now I'm sure on a hot summer day for those that are purist, and want it neat, that's a great thing. But I agree with gurg here it would only improve bottom shelf offerings or maybe a higher proof option.

Pappy definitely tastes better out of the freezer 

• I like it 1

I almost always have something in the garage freezer.  4RYL is great.  I am enjoying the WT101 though I do not think it is necessarily better cold.  Big fan of KCSingle Barrel 120pf cold.  Will have to try the Rare Breed next, which means I better go pick up another bottle.

52 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

...And, if you have the correct mixer (Mountain Dew) in a really tall glass, about half full of ice, with about 5-ounces of soda, and about 2-ounces of P-23 (P-20 will do in a pinch).  ?:o? Enjoy!

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Damn right. I was thinking that after my post! Inset Rich's emogi's here.

• I like it 1

Lest we not forget the “O’Reilly” cocktail. 8 ounces of Grape Ne Hi, and two ounces of the Pappy of your choice mixed in a tall glass with crushed ice. :P

Biba! Joe

• I like it 7

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.