Alabama ABC Sweepstakes - what to get?

dean_martin
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm no.26 in line for Alabama's ABC "Limited Release Sweepstakes" coming up Saturday.  I've been trying to track down bottles of ETL as my last bottle is at half which has me a little distracted from trying to come up with a "draft board" for the sweepstakes.  Also, the drawing was yesterday and I didn't expect to be drawn - if it weren't for bad luck, etc. - so, not a lot of time to plan the draft board.  A link to the products, pricing and bottle limits is below.  What would be your plan?

https://alabcboard.gov/productsweepstakes/priceandproducts   

Of course, it all depends on what you like! But if I had that position, I'd target the EHTBP or the Single Oak Project, assuming one is available (not sure how many they will have). If not, W12/107s are always great value at retail and hard to find, as are the ECBP and Willet 4 yr Ryes... But without more information about what you like, what you want to spend, etc., that's the best I can do!  

I hafta agree with a-44 about not knowing what you like; but, that said, here are my choices from the list in 'groups I find about equally compelling...

ECBP, EHTBP, 1792FP (the list called it BP)

HMcKBIB, Weller 12-yr.

Old Fitz BIB especially if you haven't had this brand in a few years (wonderful decanter, and a somewhat unique profile as well, when compared to any of the other rye based Bourbons, but pretty expensive)

Last but certainly not least, the Buffalo Trace pick, some of which I've had are stellar, and it's a relatively small cash outlay.

• I like it 1

35 minutes ago, arifried44 said:

Of course, it all depends on what you like! But if I had that position, I'd target the EHTBP or the Single Oak Project, assuming one is available (not sure how many they will have). If not, W12/107s are always great value at retail and hard to find, as are the ECBP and Willet 4 yr Ryes... But without more information about what you like, what you want to spend, etc., that's the best I can do!  

Thank you.  My leanings are similar to your suggestions.  BTW, the wife and I love visiting Memphis!  I plan to get the 2 bottle limit of WSR and 107 if available.  The W12 is in the 1 bottle limit group.  It'll be my default in that group if  nothing else comes to me.  I have ECBP open and 1 in the bunker.  I need to find out more about the Single Oak Project.  The EHTSmB is a regular pour, but I've never tried the BP (or SiB).  I do like ETL.  My understanding is that Blanton's is from the same mashbill and I haven't seen any on the shelves in a long time.

Here's more about the BT Single Oak: https://drinkhacker.com/2015/08/28/buffalo-trace-single-oak-project-every-barrel-reviewed-on-one-page/. If you value unique projects, it's a pretty cool one. ETL is a controversial bottle - lots of people hunt it, others say it's not worth the bother. I've only managed to snag one bottle and found that once it opened up it had a lovely mellow fruitiness that made me wish I could get it more often, but I'd probably still go for the EHTBP first if it's available, since I like the high proof and I've never come close to sniffing a bottle, unlike with ETL. But you can never go wrong with Weller - they're all winners (at retail). 

Also, if you like Blanton's and are close to Memphis, D-Vine Wines in Southaven is premiering a Blanton's store pick tomorrow at 10am, $80 with a two bottle limit. A little pricey for me, but then again not huge fan of the bottle. Others might find it a bargain! 

Edited by arifried44

Case of Virgin 7 yr 101 and call it even.  :D

• I like it 3

21 hours ago, arifried44 said:

Here's more about the BT Single Oak: https://drinkhacker.com/2015/08/28/buffalo-trace-single-oak-project-every-barrel-reviewed-on-one-page/. If you value unique projects, it's a pretty cool one. ETL is a controversial bottle - lots of people hunt it, others say it's not worth the bother. I've only managed to snag one bottle and found that once it opened up it had a lovely mellow fruitiness that made me wish I could get it more often, but I'd probably still go for the EHTBP first if it's available, since I like the high proof and I've never come close to sniffing a bottle, unlike with ETL. But you can never go wrong with Weller - they're all winners (at retail). 

Also, if you like Blanton's and are close to Memphis, D-Vine Wines in Southaven is premiering a Blanton's store pick tomorrow at 10am, $80 with a two bottle limit. A little pricey for me, but then again not huge fan of the bottle. Others might find it a bargain! 

Thanks for the info on the Single Oak!

My compliments to AL-ABC's pilot sweepstakes program.  Everything from sign-in, line formation to the shopping experience was efficient and pleasant.  ABC and distribution reps worked the line greeting everyone in small groups.  It was like Christmas, y'all.  Even met a fellow SBer.

I picked up several bottles to gift to my 2 adult sons and a nephew.  (Not pictured is a Michter's 10yr SB.

0824191056a.jpg

• I like it 7

5 hours ago, dean_martin said:

My compliments to AL-ABC's pilot sweepstakes program.  Everything from sign-in, line formation to the shopping experience was efficient and pleasant.  ABC and distribution reps worked the line greeting everyone in small groups.  It was like Christmas, y'all.  Even met a fellow SBer.

I picked up several bottles to gift to my 2 adult sons and a nephew.  (Not pictured is a Michter's 10yr SB.

0824191056a.jpg

Was the 1792 12y part of the lottery?

13 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Was the 1792 12y part of the lottery?

Yes.  I'm not up to date on 1792, but my nephew is a fan.  He's a young dude with a young family so I was thinking of him.  Not sure which bottle to gift him though.  12yo or FP (or, maybe both)?

• I like it 1

Wow that is some haul! Didn't realize from the information you shared that they would let you buy so many bottles. Nice work. 

After you passed table 2 & picked out your two bottles, you could get two bottles of anything else on the list with no limit.  I had to put myself in check lol. 

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, arifried44 said:

Wow that is some haul! Didn't realize from the information you shared that they would let you buy so many bottles. Nice work. 

Thanks man.  Met Obeezy in line.  Righteous dude.  Yeah, they "let" us spend like crazy!

• I like it 2

Yeah it was kinda funny.  I read this thread prior to the event.  I remembered you had #26 for some reason.  It just so happened that 27-33 no-showed, so we were all standing there with our tickets out trying to see where we fit in & I just looked down at your ticket.  Crazy you were right in front of me in line. :D

Thanks for the the kind words!  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.