Jump to content
dean_martin

Alabama ABC Sweepstakes - what to get?

Recommended Posts

dean_martin

I'm no.26 in line for Alabama's ABC "Limited Release Sweepstakes" coming up Saturday.  I've been trying to track down bottles of ETL as my last bottle is at half which has me a little distracted from trying to come up with a "draft board" for the sweepstakes.  Also, the drawing was yesterday and I didn't expect to be drawn - if it weren't for bad luck, etc. - so, not a lot of time to plan the draft board.  A link to the products, pricing and bottle limits is below.  What would be your plan?

 https://alabcboard.gov/productsweepstakes/priceandproducts   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
arifried44

Of course, it all depends on what you like! But if I had that position, I'd target the EHTBP or the Single Oak Project, assuming one is available (not sure how many they will have). If not, W12/107s are always great value at retail and hard to find, as are the ECBP and Willet 4 yr Ryes... But without more information about what you like, what you want to spend, etc., that's the best I can do!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Richnimrod

I hafta agree with a-44 about not knowing what you like; but, that said, here are my choices from the list in 'groups I find about equally compelling...

ECBP, EHTBP, 1792FP (the list called it BP)

HMcKBIB, Weller 12-yr.

 

Old Fitz BIB especially if you haven't had this brand in a few years (wonderful decanter, and a somewhat unique profile as well, when compared to any of the other rye based Bourbons, but pretty expensive)

 

Last but certainly not least, the Buffalo Trace pick, some of which I've had are stellar, and it's a relatively small cash outlay.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dean_martin
35 minutes ago, arifried44 said:

Of course, it all depends on what you like! But if I had that position, I'd target the EHTBP or the Single Oak Project, assuming one is available (not sure how many they will have). If not, W12/107s are always great value at retail and hard to find, as are the ECBP and Willet 4 yr Ryes... But without more information about what you like, what you want to spend, etc., that's the best I can do!  

Thank you.  My leanings are similar to your suggestions.  BTW, the wife and I love visiting Memphis!  I plan to get the 2 bottle limit of WSR and 107 if available.  The W12 is in the 1 bottle limit group.  It'll be my default in that group if  nothing else comes to me.  I have ECBP open and 1 in the bunker.  I need to find out more about the Single Oak Project.  The EHTSmB is a regular pour, but I've never tried the BP (or SiB).  I do like ETL.  My understanding is that Blanton's is from the same mashbill and I haven't seen any on the shelves in a long time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
arifried44
Posted (edited)

Here's more about the BT Single Oak: https://drinkhacker.com/2015/08/28/buffalo-trace-single-oak-project-every-barrel-reviewed-on-one-page/. If you value unique projects, it's a pretty cool one. ETL is a controversial bottle - lots of people hunt it, others say it's not worth the bother. I've only managed to snag one bottle and found that once it opened up it had a lovely mellow fruitiness that made me wish I could get it more often, but I'd probably still go for the EHTBP first if it's available, since I like the high proof and I've never come close to sniffing a bottle, unlike with ETL. But you can never go wrong with Weller - they're all winners (at retail). 

 

Also, if you like Blanton's and are close to Memphis, D-Vine Wines in Southaven is premiering a Blanton's store pick tomorrow at 10am, $80 with a two bottle limit. A little pricey for me, but then again not huge fan of the bottle. Others might find it a bargain! 

Edited by arifried44

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LCWoody

4S 2007 or Stag Jr.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smokinjoe

Case of Virgin 7 yr 101 and call it even.  :D

 

  • I like it 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dean_martin
21 hours ago, arifried44 said:

Here's more about the BT Single Oak: https://drinkhacker.com/2015/08/28/buffalo-trace-single-oak-project-every-barrel-reviewed-on-one-page/. If you value unique projects, it's a pretty cool one. ETL is a controversial bottle - lots of people hunt it, others say it's not worth the bother. I've only managed to snag one bottle and found that once it opened up it had a lovely mellow fruitiness that made me wish I could get it more often, but I'd probably still go for the EHTBP first if it's available, since I like the high proof and I've never come close to sniffing a bottle, unlike with ETL. But you can never go wrong with Weller - they're all winners (at retail). 

 

Also, if you like Blanton's and are close to Memphis, D-Vine Wines in Southaven is premiering a Blanton's store pick tomorrow at 10am, $80 with a two bottle limit. A little pricey for me, but then again not huge fan of the bottle. Others might find it a bargain! 

Thanks for the info on the Single Oak!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
0895

Well, what did you end up with @dean_martin?

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dean_martin

My compliments to AL-ABC's pilot sweepstakes program.  Everything from sign-in, line formation to the shopping experience was efficient and pleasant.  ABC and distribution reps worked the line greeting everyone in small groups.  It was like Christmas, y'all.  Even met a fellow SBer.

I picked up several bottles to gift to my 2 adult sons and a nephew.  (Not pictured is a Michter's 10yr SB.

0824191056a.jpg

  • I like it 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
0895
5 hours ago, dean_martin said:

My compliments to AL-ABC's pilot sweepstakes program.  Everything from sign-in, line formation to the shopping experience was efficient and pleasant.  ABC and distribution reps worked the line greeting everyone in small groups.  It was like Christmas, y'all.  Even met a fellow SBer.

I picked up several bottles to gift to my 2 adult sons and a nephew.  (Not pictured is a Michter's 10yr SB.

0824191056a.jpg

 

Was the 1792 12y part of the lottery?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dean_martin
13 minutes ago, 0895 said:

 

Was the 1792 12y part of the lottery?

 

Yes.  I'm not up to date on 1792, but my nephew is a fan.  He's a young dude with a young family so I was thinking of him.  Not sure which bottle to gift him though.  12yo or FP (or, maybe both)?

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
arifried44

Wow that is some haul! Didn't realize from the information you shared that they would let you buy so many bottles. Nice work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Obeezy1Kaneezy

After you passed table 2 & picked out your two bottles, you could get two bottles of anything else on the list with no limit.  I had to put myself in check lol. 

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dean_martin
3 hours ago, arifried44 said:

Wow that is some haul! Didn't realize from the information you shared that they would let you buy so many bottles. Nice work. 

Thanks man.  Met Obeezy in line.  Righteous dude.  Yeah, they "let" us spend like crazy!

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PaulO

That looks like several Christmases to me. 😵

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Obeezy1Kaneezy

Yeah it was kinda funny.  I read this thread prior to the event.  I remembered you had #26 for some reason.  It just so happened that 27-33 no-showed, so we were all standing there with our tickets out trying to see where we fit in & I just looked down at your ticket.  Crazy you were right in front of me in line. :D

 

Thanks for the the kind words!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...