Thinking of Purchasing...?

PhantomLamb
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Admins, feel free to shut this down if this kind of thread has been posted before but I thought this may be an interesting as people like myself continue to explore bourbon.

The purpose would be to post the whiskey in question to get a general consensus as to whether this either yay/nay from the SB community.  Granted, opinions vary but may be a good place to discuss.

For instance, I just spotted Bulleit Barrel Strength for $50 after discount in the wild.  What do you guys think about this purchase?

Thanks,

• I like it 1

Personally, there are a number of barrel proofs that I like more. OE7 & ECBP to name a couple. The price seems about right to me. I do however like Bulliet 10yr. This may not be a popular opinion, but it is my Bulliet of choice and one that I like to keep around.

I also think that your thread is legit, because the more you read on here, the more that you learn to listen to particular folks. Not because they are the shi+ but because you find that certain folks have similar delights when it comes to tickling the palate...

I'm a nay at $50, I picked up batch 2 for about that and I probably still have 3/4 of the bottle left, not to say it's bad, it isn't, but I never found it incredibly compelling. That being said a local was selling it for $30 and I bought a couple batch 5 at that price since the value seemed too good to pass even if they end up being gifts or mixers. 

Edited by kevinbrink

I bought one at $50 and I thought it was a good value. I'm not sure what batch it was, but it was very clearly Four Roses distilled bourbon. So if you like Four Roses, and don't have easy access to the barrel proof store picks, it's a no brainer. I found another at $35 recently which was a stupid good price.

In my mind it is better than ECBP, Stagg Jr, OE7BP, etc. But I like high rye bourbons. If you're not a high rye / Four Roses fan, you'll probably enjoy one of those more.

I bought several bottles of batch 2 when they were clearing it out for $30 here in Calif.  It's pretty good but quite spicy as others have mentioned.  I understand it was distilled at Four Roses and it does remind me of that flavor profile.  I prefer Stagg Jr., ECBP, WTRB to it but  it's a solid pour and I couldn't pass it up at that price. 

Also spotted EW 1783 1.75L for $25?  Where we are staying gives us a 10% discount at this particular LS.  

• I like it 2

I have a few cases of bulleit bs when they had a clearance in the Minneapolis area.  A few of the cases came to 18.50 a bottle, and I bought a few more at 22.50 a bottle.

is it worth it at that price?  Definitely yes.  Cannot be beat for that price .

i would have never bought for 50+

• I like it 1

I need help from the group on whether to purchase WT Cornerstone Rye. Is it worth close to $200 with tax? My only Antique Collection was THH and that was at $199 out the door. This is a tough decision.

A19A7575-0D8D-4AEF-82C3-AB40A0C9F458.jpeg

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Adam777 said:

I need help from the group on whether to purchase WT Cornerstone Rye. Is it worth close to $200 with tax? My only Antique Collection was THH and that was at $199 out the door. This is a tough decision.

I like it and that is not much of a markup from MSRP.  Worth $200?  Eh hard to say and depends on your personal comfort level.  Its priced at the point were I do not think us as the consumer is getting much value, but the juice is very viscous and oily.  If I ran across a second bottle I would consider pulling the trigger and then passing on the PHC 8year Rye, which has not gotten favorable reviews thus far.

All that said, I would snap buy that bottle of WT Decades!  That was some delicious bourbon and I wish I bought several when they were on sale around here. 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Adam777 said:

Based on the back of the baseball card WT Cornerstone is a blend of barrels aged 9-11 years compared to 6? years for Handy which is NAS, the Handy is Higher proof and obviously there is the basic question of your own distillery preferences. There is a heavy premium these days for well aged rye and I've been debating if Cornerstone crossed the threshold for me, I would also never pay over $100 for Handy though as the two bottles I've had were not worth it to my tastes. I would very much like to try a pour of Cornerstone before I buy because of the price and if I strike out on this one while waiting I'll be OK with it I think. 

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, Adam777 said:

I need help from the group on whether to purchase WT Cornerstone Rye. Is it worth close to $200 with tax?

No

• I like it 3

I have Breaker bourbon on my target list. I usually do not favor craft bourbon, but I had the chance to taste their three bourbon offerings this past weekend. They were very good. I had already bought enough stuff, so next time I am shopping, I will be getting a bottle (or three). 

• I like it 1

I like this thread.   I'd love to get intelligence before I waste a brave Ulysses on some "unique" new product. 

I had a bottle of the Breaker bourbon about a year ago,  and it went down the hatch.  I like finished bourbon.  Not sure I would buy another,  but I recall enjoyment.  

Edited by Jazzhead
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, graftonbc1 said:

I have Breaker bourbon on my target list. I usually do not favor craft bourbon, but I had the chance to taste their three bourbon offerings this past weekend. They were very good. I had already bought enough stuff, so next time I am shopping, I will be getting a bottle (or three). 

The regular bourbon is (or at least was) 5 year old MGP, the Wheated was 5 year old bourbon distilled by Wyoming Whiskey. Pretty sure the Port finish is MGP as well. You could do worse for your money, you could probably also do better from the same sources in different packaging. 

7 hours ago, Adam777 said:

Most are saying it is a premium rye but too much at $200.  I love it personally and have already downed a bottle. If you are a fan of RR rye, you’ll like this.  But cornerstone has much fuller flavor , nice and full bodied and oily , great finish.

• I like it 2

Most are saying it is a premium rye but too much at $200.  I love it personally and have already downed a bottle. If you are a fan of RR rye, you’ll like this.  But cornerstone has much fuller flavor , nice and full bodied and oily , great finish.
The above is my take. I'm on my second bottle. I love it. But I haven't paid $200. My first was $170otd(local store) second was $92(secondary).

I get the pricing keeps it off secondary. I'd like it a lot more $100-$130. I don't feel it is worth multiple Michter's Rye Barrel Proof (my favorite Rye), which is where it is currently priced.

1 hour ago, jwperry said:

The above is my take. I'm on my second bottle. I love it. But I haven't paid $200. My first was $170otd(local store) second was $92(secondary).

I get the pricing keeps it off secondary. I'd like it a lot more $100-$130. I don't feel it is worth multiple Michter's Rye Barrel Proof (my favorite Rye), which is where it is currently priced.

How did you get one for 92$?  Fireball?

3 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

The regular bourbon is (or at least was) 5 year old MGP, the Wheated was 5 year old bourbon distilled by Wyoming Whiskey. Pretty sure the Port finish is MGP as well. You could do worse for your money, you could probably also do better from the same sources in different packaging. 

I did an instore tasting of Breaker. The rep asked for my honest opinion. I gave it. She definitely didn't like my answers. I thought the wheated wasn't bad definitely yound and craft-ish. All of their lineup tasted like it needed a few more years. It had that grainy rough around the edges taste.

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Those are good points. I do think the aging they do in their California climate is intriguing and adds something to the juice. 

15 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

I like it and that is not much of a markup from MSRP.  Worth $200?  Eh hard to say and depends on your personal comfort level.  Its priced at the point were I do not think us as the consumer is getting much value, but the juice is very viscous and oily.  If I ran across a second bottle I would consider pulling the trigger and then passing on the PHC 8year Rye, which has not gotten favorable reviews thus far.

All that said, I would snap buy that bottle of WT Decades!  That was some delicious bourbon and I wish I bought several when they were on sale around here. 

This is an upcoming lottery selection starting on Sept 11.  282 bottles @ $175.  Interesting that Adam has at least 3 bottles sitting on the shelf at his store and we have to enter a contest to get the opportunity to buy one.  I won't even enter it btw.

Edited by DCFan

On 8/27/2019 at 2:05 PM, Bob_Loblaw said:

I always enjoy noting the inconsistencies in availability from one area to the next. I can go buy Decades, Revival, or the original 17 year without much effort at all. But Cornerstone Rye has been a ghost around me so far. Anyway, if you seek more Decades, it still seems to be plentiful in MN....

• I like it 1

Saw Russell Reserve 10 year old for $36 and change at Liquor World in Fayetteville, Arkansas today.

50 minutes ago, kaiserhog said:

Saw Russell Reserve 10 year old for $36 and change at Liquor World in Fayetteville, Arkansas today.

It's a good one for $35-ish, which should be the normal price in most markets.

On 8/29/2019 at 7:37 AM, BottledInBond said:

I always enjoy noting the inconsistencies in availability from one area to the next. I can go buy Decades, Revival, or the original 17 year without much effort at all. But Cornerstone Rye has been a ghost around me so far. Anyway, if you seek more Decades, it still seems to be plentiful in MN....

Yesterday’s finds thanks to some great info from BottledinBond! Negotiated down to about $113  per bottle OTD. One of each is going to a friend. I failed to bring appropriate glassware on the trip, but cousin says he will bring some tonight and we will likely get into a Decades if he comes through. 

D3BB81DB-B2B2-46F8-AA7B-90D0B15CBE3C.jpeg

• I like it 7

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.