Thinking of Purchasing...?

PhantomLamb
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The value of any given bottle depends quite a bit on where you are and when you see it. Last winter, a Phoenix Costco had KC family-size for $42 so I bought two. Later, they had the same KC handles at $38 so I bought two more. 

• I like it 1

• 4 months later...

LS near me has Joseph Magnus for about $100 out the door. Posts on here seem to indicate that is about normal. Is it worth that price? What would you consider a similar taste profile?

15 hours ago, 0895 said:

Duh!

Appreciate the sarcasm! I haven’t had it personally but it seems like what it’s going for on the secondary market $100 is pretty “reasonable”. Just my 2 cents...

5 minutes ago, PhantomLamb said:

Appreciate the sarcasm! I haven’t had it personally but it seems like what it’s going for on the secondary market $100 is pretty “reasonable”. Just my 2 cents...

No sarcasm or criticism intended.

You should pick that up to drink if it’s in the budget currently.

It’s a really good pour, especially if you like spicier flavors, or rye.

I don’t even smoke cigars and I think it’s great! ?

One of my biggest regrets is not getting any backups before it got stupid popular.

Im still slowly milking my bottle of batch one.

23 hours ago, dboland said:

LS near me has Joseph Magnus for about $100 out the door. Posts on here seem to indicate that is about normal. Is it worth that price? What would you consider a similar taste profile?

JAM is HQ'd in Wash DC.  Basic JAM (not the Cigar Blend) runs around $90 in and around Wash DC and is somewhat available.  The blend, Murray Hill Club (not the MHC Special Release) runs about $100 (rarely) and can be found here and there at $115-120 if one hunts - I buy at @$100 if I'm feeling flush even if I don't need more bunker backups but otherwise wait.  I have not seen a Cigar Blend since I bought my one and only (or was it TWO - I'm not telling) of the first batch for about $140, and I thought that was a stretch until I tasted it (hence, the mysterious second bottle which ALSO disappeared much too quickly).  The CBs now go in Wash DC at a couple stores known for HIGH prices but guaranteed availability for about $300. 

• I like it 2

On 1/17/2020 at 4:42 PM, dboland said:

We had a discussion about this recently, see the rest of the posts:

Edited by Kane
  • I like it 2

On 8/27/2019 at 7:38 PM, kevinbrink said:

The regular bourbon is (or at least was) 5 year old MGP, the Wheated was 5 year old bourbon distilled by Wyoming Whiskey. Pretty sure the Port finish is MGP as well. You could do worse for your money, you could probably also do better from the same sources in different packaging. 

6 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

JAM is HQ'd in Wash DC.  Basic JAM (not the Cigar Blend) runs around $90 in and around Wash DC and is somewhat available.  The blend, Murray Hill Club (not the MHC Special Release) runs about $100 (rarely) and can be found here and there at $115-120 if one hunts - I buy at @$100 if I'm feeling flush even if I don't need more bunker backups but otherwise wait.  I have not seen a Cigar Blend since I bought my one and only (or was it TWO - I'm not telling) of the first batch for about $140, and I thought that was a stretch until I tasted it (hence, the mysterious second bottle which ALSO disappeared much too quickly).  The CBs now go in Wash DC at a couple stores known for HIGH prices but guaranteed availability for about $300. 

The other day I found a MHC for $76.49 in Maryland.  I was excited as I really enjoyed this one at a blind tasting a month ago.

17 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

The other day I found a MHC for $76.49 in Maryland.  I was excited as I really enjoyed this one at a blind tasting a month ago.

I also picked up two over the Holidays for around $80 "on sale", but the prices have jumped back up to their former typical level. I sure hope the $100 becomes the ceiling rather than the floor when those are going, going, gone.

Thank you everyone for your input on Joseph Magnus. There's a lot of good info in that thread, Kane, appreciate the link.

I will pass on it for now as I have seen plenty on the shelves in a few places and it isn't moving that fast. If I hear enough to indicate that it matches what I like, then I may pick up a bottle.

If you haven't tried it yet and you're not sure you want to spend a Benjamin on it, be sure to check the 375ml shelf at the bigger stores. They do have a 375ml and a 100 ml version of the regular JM. 

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 1

Has anyone tried the Woodford Wheat Whiskey and the Woodford Malt Whiskey? Both are about $37 where I can find them and wasn't sure if they were worth the purchase or not.

• I like it 1

1 minute ago, Double C's said:

Has anyone tried the Woodford Wheat Whiskey and the Woodford Malt Whiskey? Both are about $37 where I can find them and wasn't sure if they were worth the purchase or not.

I bought a wheat at the distillery and really like it. Its very fuit forward but not the typical bourbon dark fruits and cherries. Think apples and pears and relatively sweet. It's a dessert whiskey to me. Goes great with chocolate. Had some last night actually. 

Pay no more than 80 dollars for the top 20% of bottles of spirits that you buy

And pay less than 60 dollars for the next 20%

Pay less than 50 dollars for the next 40%

Find at least one bottle you think is delicious for $40 or less, and purchase a bottle at this price point at least 20% of the time.

Exceptions can be made for anything that is not still going into barrels today in the same way, ie the product or flavor is extinct.

Exceptions to this rule are the VWs and the Antique Collection if you can get them for 200 or less after tax. Not extinct, but exceptional. Above 200, pass.

If you're going to engage in the over 100 market...

Make a grim assessment of how many years of drinking you likely have in your drinking career. Then...

Buy no more than 2 per remaining year total at the $200 or below level.

Buy no more than 0.5 per remaining year total at the $350 or below level.

Don't pay more than $350 for ANYTHING. And that 350 had better be some once in a lifetime stuff, which the Booker's Rye and 30th were (Rye for the taste, 30th for containing liquid that the man himself distilled [so was the rye]).

Think HARD about whether you want to fill those precious spaces with the mainstay of limited edition cash-grabs of the bubble era.

That will be my consistent answer for a few years, probably.

The above spending model will still cost you a lot of money if you decide to engage in the extincts or the once-in-a-lifetimes, but it will save you from the worst effects of the bubble.

This keeps you into Booker's and 4R store pick territory, but saves you from the Peerlesses and the Kentucky Owls.

• I like it 8

12 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Pay no more than 80 dollars for the top 20% of bottles of spirits that you buy

And pay less than 60 dollars for the next 20%

Pay less than 50 dollars for the next 40%

Find at least one bottle you think is delicious for $40 or less, and purchase a bottle at this price point at least 20% of the time.

Exceptions can be made for anything that is not still going into barrels today in the same way, ie the product or flavor is extinct.

Exceptions to this rule are the VWs and the Antique Collection if you can get them for 200 or less after tax. Not extinct, but exceptional. Above 200, pass.

If you're going to engage in the over 100 market...

Make a grim assessment of how many years of drinking you likely have in your drinking career. Then...

Buy no more than 2 per remaining year total at the $200 or below level.

Buy no more than 0.5 per remaining year total at the $350 or below level.

Don't pay more than $350 for ANYTHING. And that 350 had better be some once in a lifetime stuff, which the Booker's Rye and 30th were (Rye for the taste, 30th for containing liquid that the man himself distilled [so was the rye]).

Think HARD about whether you want to fill those precious spaces with the mainstay of limited edition cash-grabs of the bubble era.

That will be my consistent answer for a few years, probably.

The above spending model will still cost you a lot of money if you decide to engage in the extincts or the once-in-a-lifetimes, but it will save you from the worst effects of the bubble.

This keeps you into Booker's and 4R store pick territory, but saves you from the Peerlesses and the Kentucky Owls.

I like what you’ve done with the place...  :D

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

What is your "stuck in the middle of the ocean for weeks on end" factor for determining this? ?

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, Vosgar said:

What is your "stuck in the middle of the ocean for weeks on end" factor for determining this? ?

Gracious substitution of the word months for weeks in this case, Gary :) ...

(...also, yes, it's in the calculation...)

I'm about to have 2.5mo off to try to untwist my psyche. Although a friend might be getting married on Bardstown weekend (DOH!!!)

1 hour ago, The Black Tot said:

I'm about to have 2.5mo off to try to untwist my psyche. Although a friend might be getting married on Bardstown weekend (DOH!!!)

The Gazebo would be a great place for them to get married! I'm sure the bride wouldn't mind the change of venue and think of the party afterwards ?

• I like it 4

7 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

The Gazebo would be a great place for them to get married! I'm sure the bride wouldn't mind the change of venue and think of the party afterwards ?

I endorse this change of plans. We need TBT to be there.

• I like it 1

And what bride wouldn't want 50 or so bourbon enthusiasts at her wedding?

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.