Eagle Rare Allocated?

DEH1212
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just got back into the bourbon game after taking a much needed break and notice Eagle Rare is now 1 per person at all stores in KY?  Did I mention that is of you can find it! 

What else has been allocated or is drying up?  

Will Buffalo Trace be next?

Got plenty here in the PRM (People's Republic of Massachusetts).   Still less than $30 OTD for a 750ml bottle.   Whew!  ?

But to answer your question about what else is allocated. One year ago Blantons and HMck10 were everywhere and now they are not. These are the two main casualties of the recent silliness. 

• I like it 1

Just now, FasterHorses said:

But to answer your question about what else is allocated. One year ago Blantons and HMck10 were everywhere and now they are not. These are the two main casualties of the recent silliness. 

We get those now and agin' every couple of months.  But they sell out quickly (day and a half, maybe) once they hit the shelves.  Not allocated but scarce now.   ?

8 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

We get those now and agin' every couple of months.  But they sell out quickly (day and a half, maybe) once they hit the shelves.  Not allocated but scarce now.   ?

Ive witnessed this with Blantons before but never for this long. I can still find it but I have to work for it. HMck10 doesnt really bother me  as I never have got a good  barrel. 

In STL ER10 is basically a lottery item now. BT was spotty for close to a year, but it's back to being on every shelf. It's been quite a while since I saw another mash bill 1 offering on any shelf here. 

3 hours ago, DEH1212 said:

Just got back into the bourbon game after taking a much needed break and notice Eagle Rare is now 1 per person at all stores in KY?  Did I mention that is of you can find it! 

What else has been allocated or is drying up?  

Will Buffalo Trace be next?

Buffalo Trace, what's that?  It's been dried up in Va for quite a while (unless you want to take a road trip to Richmond). ER isn't much better here.

We picked a barrel of ER a couple months ago for my local retailer.   A pretty good barrel, if I so so myself.   Whenever it comes in, we'll be swimming in ER.... for a day or two. Ha!

Edited by Richnimrod
  • I like it 2

Eagle Rare is plentiful here in the SF Bay Area.  K&L's web site shows more than 138 bottles in stock at $25.99/750.  My local Bevmo has 1.75s in stock for $55.99 which, with their $10 off $50 coupon is $50 OTD.  Now, if only they would send us some Weller's.  Even WSR has become impossible to get here anymore...

We picked a barrel of ER a couple months ago for my local retailer.   A pretty good barrel, if I so so myself.   Whenever it comes in, we'll be swimming in ER.... for a day or two. Ha!

I did the same with one of my locals about a month ago. We also picked several other barrels from other Sazerac brands at the same time. It was a fun evening. [emoji106][emoji3]
  • I like it 3

ER and BT are pretty easy to find here still, but Blanton's has become more difficult, not quite ETL or RHF difficult but it is getting there. The good news is that these Buffalo Trace products are basic bitch bourbon anyway so there really isn't any reason to go out of your way to find them. Branch out and try some Four Roses, Wild Turkey, 1792, Old Forester, etc.

Edited by EarthQuake
  • I like it 2

In my area Blanton's and Elmer T Lee, are not allocated, but they are hard to find and since the price point is north of a Franklin they may as well be. ER is still plentiful and reasonable.

15 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

ER and BT are pretty easy to find here still, but Blanton's has become more difficult, not quite ETL or RHF difficult but it is getting there. The good news is that these Buffalo Trace products are basic bitch bourbon anyway so there really isn't any reason to go out of your way to find them. Branch out and try some Four Roses, Wild Turkey, 1792, Old Forester, etc.

What’s a “basic bitch bourbon”?  Never heard that term.  

Here in northern Illinois/southern Wisconsin, ER is pretty much readily available.  As far as the cost........?  It can be found at decent stores for as low as $28.99. Some stores are charging anywhere from $38.99-$46.99.  These are tater stores that are just plain gouging, or places that listen to the dribble spewed forth by the distributors & salespersons that “Pretty much everything at BT is on allocation.” In other words, ya may as well get while the gettins’ good.

It’s pretty sad in a way, ‘cause I’ve witnessed this first hand on more than one occasion. I’ve stopped in at a store to see what they have and/or to just say hi to the manager. Lo and behold, a salesperson just so  happens to be there. Need I say more?  :huh:

The amount of information available here on SB is unbelievable. For that, I thank my fellow members. It says a lot when I have more factual information available at my fingertips, than a salesman from a seemingly highly regarded liquor distributor does. “Know what I mean Vern?”  :lol:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

4 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

What’s a “basic bitch bourbon”?  Never heard that term.  

"basic bro bourbon" is probably a bit more appropriate, but since you asked:

and the follow up:

38 minutes ago, EarthQuake said:

"basic bro bourbon" is probably a bit more appropriate, but since you asked:

and the follow up:

I still don’t get it?

5 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

I still don’t get it?

Ah well - a joke that needs to be explained probably isn't a very good joke.

My larger point was: there's so much great, easy to find bourbons on the shelf, that it doesn't make sense to chase the trendy ones or get upset when they're out of stock.

Edited by EarthQuake

@smokinjoe Here is an attempt to explain a little better:

Eagle Rare, Blanton's, etc are acceptable, but ultimately boring and unexceptional bourbon. Buffalo Trace is rather good at marketing, and has had limited supply of these products. This creates the perfect storm where a commodity product is overvalued and undersupplied, which results in hype, hysteria, price gauging, secondary flipping, etc.

Similarly, Starbucks Pumpkin Spiced Lattes (the quintessential "basic bitch" drink) are another commodity product, which for whatever reason, have become incredibly popular. Due to seasonal release (artificial rarity), we see people going crazy for this product every fall. It's gotten so bad that pumpkin spice seems to be in everything this time of year, from beer to donuts to god knows what.

The Joke is: Eagle Rare is the Pumpkin Spiced Latte of bourbon.

Both are examples of the same sort of strange economic phenomenon. As consumers we can be basic and feed this hysteria by posting topics about ER being allocated, crotch shots when we spot a bottle of ER like we won the lottery, or we can buck the trend and enjoy one of the dozens of awesome, easily available bourbons until this nonsense passes.

This is really more of a topic for the boom thread, I didn't mean to hijack this guy's thread and I type all of this a playful, tongue-in-cheek sort of way (which can be hard to convey over text). So feel free to move or delete my replies if it's out of line.

Edited by EarthQuake
  • I like it 3

My wife and I were in Frankfort last weekend for Bourbon On The Banks and stopped in Buffalo Trace. They had ER on the shelf but a 1 per customer limit.  Since I rarely see it in Ohio, we each got one. $34 or so after tax. 

16 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

“Know what I mean Vern?”  :lol:

Biba! Joe

Haven’t heard this in some time. I wonder how many get the reference. LOL. 

Here in Pennsy ER is readily available,  but I have to admit I haven't bought a bottle in years.    Tougher to spot is the EH Taylor line.  

41 minutes ago, Jazzhead said:

Here in Pennsy ER is readily available,  but I have to admit I haven't bought a bottle in years.    Tougher to spot is the EH Taylor line.  

Agreed, I think like $34 OTD.  Tbh, I don't get the hype with Buffalo Trace products.  As much as I love them, I feel it is ruining the industry to a degree.

• I like it 3

On 9/2/2019 at 1:51 PM, Richnimrod said:

Okay, forget some of what I said above!   

This barrel's bottles came in yesterday, and we are, as I expected 'swimming in Eagle Rare',... only we may be doing so for rather longer than 'a day or two'.   

Man!   That barrel yielded waaaay more than expected for a 10-year old barrel.   I don't know the count; but suffice it to say the store will NOT sell it out this week!   

Any interest in it?  PM me.   If you're heading to Bardstown next week, I can ferry some down, or even next April, if you can wait.    ...Or, if you aren't too far from Detroit, you can grab some for yourself.

On 9/2/2019 at 8:19 AM, FasterHorses said:

Grumpy old man talk beginning here... ?

I saw HMck10 for $50 the other day. What a joke. Taters can have at it. EC SmB PS's at various LS's all day long around here for $30. Thank you very much. And Blanton's? Wayyyy overrated just like EH Taylor SmB. I gave that watered down stuff to my wife. BT for the most part are scarce in GA. Stagg Jr is the only one I seek out anyway. Four Roses is the latest to satrt moving their prices up. SmB Select at $55 was a sign of what was to come. The 2 BS recipes I seen lately (F yeast) are $70. Not a fan of F anyway. Easy pass. I know what flies under the radar in GA and there are some gems and honey barrels. Hopefully the taters will continue to be unaware... but probably not. I digress.

Edited by ondarocks

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.