Eagle Rare Allocated?

DEH1212
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The only one of those I actively seek out is Blantons.

I think more people are keen to bash a hard to find bourbon once: A. The price goes up B. It becomes so hard to find it you cant enjoy it on a regular basis

If Blanton's was readily available like it was several years back at regular price, I would be buying it as a regular sipper as it was one of my favorites, if not my absolute everyday favorite pour.

Now? No - I will only buy if I find it at the regular price (has always been around $60 when it was around) but I will not purchase it for what it goes for nowadays.

So is it worth the $100+ price? Hell no, but very few bourbons are. But that doesnt mean its all of a sudden a basic/inferior product just because of the current market. 

I also dont consider a spirit over 90 proof to be "watered down." 

9 hours ago, Grim_Tactics said:

The only one of those I actively seek out is Blantons.

I think more people are keen to bash a hard to find bourbon once: A. The price goes up B. It becomes so hard to find it you cant enjoy it on a regular basis

If Blanton's was readily available like it was several years back at regular price, I would be buying it as a regular sipper as it was one of my favorites, if not my absolute everyday favorite pour.

Now? No - I will only buy if I find it at the regular price (has always been around $60 when it was around) but I will not purchase it for what it goes for nowadays.

So is it worth the $100+ price? Hell no, but very few bourbons are. But that doesnt mean its all of a sudden a basic/inferior product just because of the current market. 

I also dont consider a spirit over 90 proof to be "watered down." 

A matter of opinion I suppose. I've had a few bottles of Blanton's, and while I enjoy it, it's not worth retail to me so I've learned my lesson and no longer buy it even on the rare occasion I see it on the shelf. I kept buying them waiting to find one that was worth $60 (or even the $53 they went for here when I got them). They weren't. In my mind it's a $30 bourbon in a cute bottle with a horse on it. On par with Eagle Rare, Woodfood Reserve, Maker's Mark, etc. It's a step down from CEHT Small Batch, Russell's 10, 1792 BIB, and Four Roses SiB or Small Batch.

When I can get a Four Roses store pick for $60, ECBP for $60, Stagg Jr for $50, 1792 Full Proof for $45, Rare Breed for $40, Knob Creek store picks for $40-45, and on and on, it puts things in perspective. Within the context of other available bourbons, it's not a good value to me, even at retail, let alone hyped up / secondary / pricing gauging stores.

Blaton's is something I most frequently order when I'm out at restaurants. Often when it's the best thing that they have (which is true at a few places here in town). When I'm out having a meal and not paying too much attention to it, I quite like it. When I come home, excited about Blanton's again, and pour myself a glass - it's always a disappointment. It's not that it's bad, it's just that I always have something better in my own bar, and it's usually not something I've paid any more money for.

Edited by EarthQuake
  • I like it 2

21 minutes ago, PaulO said:

I like Blanton's better than CEHT Small Batch, otherwise I agree with previous post.

Fair enough. I like BT's mash #1 products in general more than #2 or the wheated mash. I would take a CEHT SmB or Stagg Jr over Blanton's, ETL, or RHF any day of the week. I've got a sad, half filled bottle of each in the back of my bar. Mostly holding onto for the day when someone who is a big mash #2 fan comes over.

Edited by EarthQuake

Fair enough. I like BT's mash #1 products in general more than #2 or the wheated mash. I would take a CEHT SmB or Stagg Jr over Blanton's, ETL, or RHF any day of the week. I've got a sad, half filled bottle of each in the back of my bar. Mostly holding onto for the day when someone who is a big mash #2 fan comes over.

I’ll be right over.
  • I like it 3

21 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

6 hours ago, BMartin42 said:

I’ll be right over.

I'll be driving past Iowa City on my way to Omaha on the 20th, so I could help out with whatever BMartin leaves behind. I'm not fussy, I like pretty much all BT whiskies

• I like it 2

I’ll say it...  BT & ER are riding on the coat tails of the brand name & allocated products that come under the Buffalo Trace family.  They are “basic bitch” bourbons.  Nothing special about them outside some good picks here & there.  As a matter of fact, they’re mundane most of the time to me if they’re not good picks. 

It’s been a while since I’ve gotten to drink the old 10YO ER.  Had it at a dinner with friends the other night.  He’s not a big bourbon guy & had two bottles in his bar.  Night & day with what you get now.  

I’m going to get that other bottle somehow...

Edited by Obeezy1Kaneezy

5 hours ago, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

It’s been a while since I’ve gotten to drink the old 10YO ER.  Had it at a dinner with friends the other night.  He’s not a big bourbon guy & had two bottles in his bar.  Night & day with what you get now.  

ER is still 10 years old unless I missed something.  It's just not labeled as single barrel anymore (though most bottles still are, it's just a few from the bottling line that get co-mingled so they had to change the label for all of them).  Or were you just referring to the old ER10 label before the label change?

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, dcbt said:

ER is still 10 years old unless I missed something.  It's just not labeled as single barrel anymore (though most bottles still are, it's just a few from the bottling line that get co-mingled so they had to change the label for all of them).  Or were you just referring to the old ER10 label before the label change?

I’m not privy to all of that, just talking about the label change.  It’s just a bit thin & just doesn’t have the depth, complexity, or layers like it once did to me.

Now, if that’s all you happen have...well then I’ll sit there & drink it with a smile on my face. ;)

11 hours ago, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

I’ll say it...  BT & ER are riding on the coat tails of the brand name & allocated products that come under the Buffalo Trace family.  They are “basic bitch” bourbons.  Nothing special about them outside some good picks here & there.  As a matter of fact, they’re mundane most of the time to me if they’re not good picks. 

I’m going to get that other bottle somehow...

They (BT & ER) don't like you either... :P

• I like it 4

Here in Houston you can find several bottles of ER on a shelf for or under retail at a local shop.  You can also find it at another liquor store - 2 miles down the road, behind a glass case for 3-4 times above retail..

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

I’m not privy to all of that, just talking about the label change.  It’s just a bit thin & just doesn’t have the depth, complexity, or layers like it once did to me.

Now, if that’s all you happen have...well then I’ll sit there & drink it with a smile on my face. ;)

I’m kinda confused.  When you mention “label change”, is this the old label whiskey you’re referring, to?  

2EBC60A7-2236-4E24-B1B3-0CB6FDD4BD63.jpeg

• I like it 4

2 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

I’m kinda confused.  When you mention “label change”, is this the old label whiskey you’re referring, to?  

Nope, never had that one.  I was talking about taking the age statement off the front.  Feel free to share though! :D

Look, I was grumpy last night guys...  They’re really decent bourbons for the price lol.  

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, 0895 said:

They (BT & ER) don't like you either... :P

Thanks 0. My sentiments exactly.

Now, for a disclaimer, and a very long post. As a moderator here, there are times that I’ve refrained from posting things just because of that fact. FWIW, in the past, I’ve been called out by a few members, and the Boss has let me know that I do have to show a little restraint at times. Now that the formalities are out of the way... 

As Popeye used to say, “I’ve had all’s I cans stands, and I can’t stands no more.”  Everybody has their favorite distillery, myself included. I’m an avowed fan of Saz/BT, and a self proclaimed Weller whore. Those of you that have been around here a while know that. For some of you newer members, well, I’m a Weller whore, and  BT fanboy. :D‘Nuff ced. While I’m not the biggest fan of distilleries such as WT, FR, etc... I do appreciate them for who they are, and what they do bring to the bourbon world. In my preference for BT, I’ve also tried to not show disdain or dislike for other distilleries. Yes, I’m a BT lover. Yes, I have something of a relationship with the powers that be at BT. Regardless of those facts.... BT forewarned us of what was going on years ago, and yes, I posted about it. <_< FWIW, I refuse to do any homework for those of you that don’t feel like taking the time to check things out for yourselves, but in a nutshell, we were warned by BT of regional shortages/rolling blackouts of a number of BT products for the foreseeable future. I may be wrong, but I don’t think any other distillery was quite as honest and forthcoming. Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong. I have big shoulders, and can handle it. Just remember though, I am a moderator and do have some powers. Muwaaaahaahaaa! :P

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Saz/BT. I think that a 3.2 billion dollar expansion says it all. I firmly believe that much of the blame for perceived “inconsistencies” with BT goes to distributors and stores that are still trying to milk the “bourbon boom” for all its worth. Case in point; This past weekend I visited a store I hadn’t been to in a while. As luck would have it the manager was there. We had a nice time catching up. The conversation eventually progressed to what was going on, anything new, etc... In a nutshell, not much. He did let me know that he was offered a few bottles of “XYZ” (at a semi-inflated price) to which he said yes. Then came the catch. In order to get those three bottles of a limited edition/desirable product, he had to agree to take six cases of something that IMHO I would peg as something pretty much less than desirable. As it turns out, the store manager saw things as I did. In as polite as terms as possible, he basically told the salesman to f**k off. I can respect that. I’ve heard variations of this same story numerous times. Need I say more? What’s that ya’ say? Need more proof?  Okay, I can do that. A store in my neck of the woods has Weller SR for $27.99. Another has it for $69.99. :huh: Same distillery, same suggested msrp, and the same distributor. You make the call. Guess which one I shop at? (FWIW, I did purchase the one remaining Weller SR that the aforementioned store had on the shelf for $29.99. Once a Weller whore......?)  

Again, BT is just fine thank you. I myself will continue to buy and enjoy ER, BT, Weller’s and other products from BT. I just won’t buy them from freakin’ tater stores that are just out to make a buck from unaware and unsuspecting consumers, or those that tend to believe what less than honest salespeople/distributors lead them to believe. And as I have said before, those that have been a little late to the party but are still trying to make a buck off the “bourbon boom”. 

Thank y’all very much for your patience. To quote the late great George M. Cohan, “My mother thanks you, my father thanks you, my sister thanks you, and I thank you.” Next weeks sermon: Blending; To be, or not to be. :lol:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 5

Personally, I have no problems with the distiller.  Just not a big drinker of regular ol’ BT’s & ER’s you find on your local shelves.  I do think quality has suffered on many brands during the boom, not just theirs, & I think ER is one of those.  (Elijah Craig Small Batch says hello)

Let’s be real guys...taste is subjective.  There is no right or wrong.  You like what you like.  I’m not upset at the guys who don’t like Four Roses.  As was said earlier...  More for me. :lol:

Hope I didn’t come off wrong, albeit maybe a bit bourbon snobby. :P

55 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Thanks 0. My sentiments exactly.

Now, for a disclaimer, and a very long post. 

Thanks for the warning! :D  I’ll go catch this weeks Bachelor in Paradise finale, then! ;)

FWIW, I’ve been meaning to post my thoughts here for some time now. My visit to the liquor store this weekend, and having some extra time this afternoon helped move things along a bit.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

Personally, I have no problems with the distiller.  Just not a big drinker of regular ol’ BT’s & ER’s you find on your local shelves.  I do think quality has suffered on many brands during the boom, not just theirs, & I think ER is one of those.  (Elijah Craig Small Batch says hello)

Let’s be real guys...taste is subjective.  There is no right or wrong.  You like what you like.  I’m not upset at the guys who don’t like Four Roses.  As was said earlier...  More for me. :lol:

Hope I didn’t come off wrong, albeit maybe a bit bourbon snobby. :P

I agree with most of this post (including the "a bit bourbon snobby" comment!).     ?

Maybe my opinion is also tainted a bit by your avatar, bein' a Bruins fan and all . . . .    ?

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Maybe my opinion is also tainted a bit by your avatar, bein' a Bruins fan and all . . . .    ?

Maybe I should have filled this with some ER10?

20190908_121740.jpg

Edited by Clueby
  • I like it 2

2 hours ago, Clueby said:

Maybe I should have filled this with some ER10?

20190908_121740.jpg

Well I guess I can cross you off my Christmas gift list now on 2 counts. I am giving Loch & K(e)y Society picks of BT, ER10, and Blanton's as well as Bruins' jerseys this year.  ?

Spoiler

• I like it 2

25 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

Well I guess I can cross you off my Christmas gift list now on 2 counts. I am giving Loch & K(e)y Society picks of BT, ER10, and Blanton's as well as Bruins' jerseys this year.  ?

Clueby doesn’t want your basic bit** gifts....?

• I like it 7

19 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

A white whale!  One of my dream dusty finds along with CGF.  Sadly both very unlikely as I refuse to mess around with secondary markets. . . 

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, GeeTen said:

Reveal hidden contents

:lol::PAre those jerseys tear-stained?

Let's hope for a re-match this year! (with the same outcome of course)

For the record, I AM a BT fan of both MB#1 and #2.

This is a rebuttal to Joe's long post. ?

I consider my liquor cabinet a meritocracy.

I used to buy Weller and some of the mash bill 2 brands.  Those vanished a long time ago. ? Even if I did find any, now the prices are well beyond what I'm willing to pay, for what they are.  To my palate, these brands were tasty and worth it at around $25 a bottle.  It's not like they were better than the mid shelf brands from the other major distillers, just slightly different, but all recognizable as bourbon.

Through trial and error, I've discovered that BT mash bill 1 is not in my wheelhouse.  The one most OK to me is regular Buffalo Trace Bourbon.  I can find that for just under $20.  Next to that on the shelf is WT 101 for just under $18.  I prefer WT regardless of price, so that's what I buy.

I stayed away from B-F brands after they screwed up OF Signature.  Now they have several new brands in my wheelhouse and reasonably priced, so I'm back.

I'll say the same for BT/Sazerac - bottle something that checks all the boxes and I'll return as a customer.

It could happen, but I'm not holding my breath.

In concept I agree with Joe on most points with one exception, since BT announced those shortages (or maybe in some cases slightly before) we have seen a number of brand extensions, the entirety of the CEHT line, Stagg Jr, Weller CYPB and Full Proof, etc. I would think with dwindling stocks they would choose to support existing labels.  It very much seems that the shortages work in their favor as a "marketing" strategy though clearly this is just supposition. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.