I retired

BourbonGuy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I hit 65 and retired!

Now what does that have to do with bourbon?  I promised myself that I would not touch the bunker until I retired.  The day has come.  The bunker was mostly items that I purchased one or two more as these were often items that went on sale.

I am finding stuff I forgot was there.  My first pull from a box was an Elmer T Lee , the second a Weller Antique (I used to buy those for $19.99).  The third was a Pappy 15.   The third and the one we opened was a bottle of Willet in the fancy bottle.

Who knows what the bunker holds.

• I like it 35

I hit 65 and retired!

Now what does that have to do with bourbon?  I promised myself that I would not touch the bunker until I retired.  The day has come.  The bunker was mostly items that I purchased one or two more as these were often items that went on sale.
I am finding stuff I forgot was there.  My first pull from a box was an Elmer T Lee , the second a Weller Antique (I used to buy those for $19.99).  The third was a Pappy 15.   The third and the one we opened was a bottle of Willet in the fancy bottle.

Congrats.

Congratulations BourbonGuy; upon realizing that NOT working is soooo much better than working!   (It allows waaaay more time to pour and enjoy Bourbon, for one thing!)  :D

As to finding those forgotten gems within one's own bunker: Ain't It Grand?!   ?     

I look forward to the days (probably nor too far in the future) when my creeping senility comes to it's ultimate fruition and EVERY Bottle I pull is a surprise!  ?

Kidding aside, it really is a bit like Christmas morning when I push aside a bottle or two and see one I pretty much forgot I had.   ...And, some of 'em are real gems.   

Hell, even many of the ones that were pretty ordinary have become so hard (or in some cases impossible!) to find that they've taken on a patina of rarity that makes 'em a bit 'special', just because I haven't poured one in so long.

As a wise co-worker once advised me; "It's a great life.... if you don't weaken!"   ?     So ENJOY it!!!!    ?

• I like it 6

Retired last year at 58 1/2.  If I had known it was going to be this good I never would have started working. :D  Congratulations on your retirement.  In addition to pursing my bourbon journey it allows me more time for fishing, reading, but best of all, time to watch my grandson who turned 2 on Sunday.

• I like it 4

I hit 65 and retired!

Congratulations! [emoji322][emoji898]

Congrats!  I hope you enjoy the retirement you have earned. It will be great to hear what other surprises you discover in your bunker. 

1 hour ago, markandrex said:

Congrats!  I hope to find myself in the same position in the not too distant future.? Enjoy.

Me too.   ;)

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, BourbonGuy said:

I hit 65 and retired!

Pics or it didn’t happen. 

?

congrats!

• I like it 1

Congrats. With little ones, I’m just starting to think of how to hide my bunker so the hooligans don’t dip in when they reach teen years!

23 hours ago, BourbonGuy said:

I hit 65 and retired!

Congrats and Cheers!!!

On 9/10/2019 at 6:57 AM, BourbonGuy said:

I hit 65 and retired!

I hit that magic number next month and I'll be going out at the end of the year. But I've still been hitting the bunker when needed. ;)  Congrats on what is I'm sure a well deserved retirement.

• I like it 1

19 hours ago, Supercharger said:

Congrats. With little ones, I’m just starting to think of how to hide my bunker so the hooligans don’t dip in when they reach teen years!

When my son got the first visit from the hormone fairy, I bought a construction site type lock box at Harbor Freight and stashed all my bourbon in it. The real bummer about the hormone storm was that I quit homebrewing. Too much trouble to hide it all, and him and his little sh*t friends pilfered my beer stash on several occasions.

He's grown and has his own kid now. I've been watching my granddaughter, thinking "Oh my, he is going to have his hands soooo full in a few years". Karma, I say.

• I like it 7

1 hour ago, jbutler said:

When my son got the first visit from the hormone fairy, I bought a construction site type lock box at Harbor Freight and stashed all my bourbon in it. The real bummer about the hormone storm was that I quit homebrewing. Too much trouble to hide it all, and him and his little sh*t friends pilfered my beer stash on several occasions.

He's grown and has his own kid now. I've been watching my granddaughter, thinking "Oh my, he is going to have his hands soooo full in a few years". Karma, I say.

Karma? Perhaps more a case of reaping what you've sown. A post I saw on FB recently: "If you raised your kids, you can spoil your grandkids. If you spoiled your kids, you'll be raising your grandkids."

Knowing you, Jim, I'd wager you're in the first category.

As for this retirement thing, I terminated a 40 year career in Information Technology in early 2016 and embarked on a writing career. Two books published so far, with more coming. I'll be doing this until I can't see a computer screen anymore.

Edited by CorvallisCracker
  • I like it 4

Welcome to the Retiree Club.  You think your life was busy when you were working?  You have no idea how tough it's going to become.  All that stuff you can NOW do that you didn't even consider before and so little time to do it ALL.:o Making CHOICES will be your biggest problem.  Ah, what a glorious dilemma.  Enjoy - because NONE of the choices is bad, and most of the picks you passed up will be there tomorrow. 

Except for the OWA, of course.B)

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Welcome to the Retiree Club.  You think your life was busy when you were working?  You have no idea how tough it's going to become.  All that stuff you can NOW do that you didn't even consider before and so little time to do it ALL.:o Making CHOICES will be your biggest problem.  Ah, what a glorious dilemma.  Enjoy - because NONE of the choices is bad, and most of the picks you passed up will be there tomorrow. 

Well said Harry. I can’t wait. Not that I don’t have enough on my plate as it is now. ?

Biba! Joe

10 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

How true!  My first week and I have been very busy.   I am unfortunately still making lists of things to do.  Productivity!!!  Unlike work, if it gets down great.  If it doesn't....Oh well.

On Long Island, we have a lot of wineries on the north fork.  Stopped in and asked if they needed help (part time).  I was thinking about working at a winery, brewery or distillery (Like Long Island Spirits)

Or maybe a Captains license?   Who knows.  I will try to take a peek at the bunker and guestimate how many bottles are down there, sitting in the dark...waiting to be discovered.

• I like it 2

On 9/10/2019 at 8:48 AM, CardsandBourbon said:

Retired last year at 58 1/2.  If I had known it was going to be this good I never would have started working. :D  Congratulations on your retirement.  In addition to pursing my bourbon journey it allows me more time for fishing, reading, but best of all, time to watch my grandson who turned 2 on Sunday.

Kevin, tell me about it!!

11 hours ago, BourbonGuy said:

How true!  My first week and I have been very busy.   I am unfortunately still making lists of things to do.  Productivity!!!  Unlike work, if it gets down great.  If it doesn't....Oh well.

On Long Island, we have a lot of wineries on the north fork.  Stopped in and asked if they needed help (part time).  I was thinking about working at a winery, brewery or distillery (Like Long Island Spirits)

Or maybe a Captains license?   Who knows.  I will try to take a peek at the bunker and guestimate how many bottles are down there, sitting in the dark...waiting to be discovered.

ONE MORE TIP!!! Neighbor across the street reminded me, "Don't schedule the Post Office and the grocery store on the same day.  They both have LINES.  Instead, match 'em with chores or stuff that DON'T have lines."

Words to live by.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.