Davidson Reserve Tennessee Small Batch Whiskey

CharlieDog
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Picked up this yesterday.

I'm trying really hard to like a Tennessee Whiskey. I do not like JD Black or Dickel #12, but Imma keep trying.

This is a 100 proof sb that states it's at least 4 years old. It is distilled and bottled in Nashville Tennessee from a mashbill of 70% corn 25% rye and 5% barley. It's a very deep golden brown in color. I paid $35.00 and tax/750ml. 

Before I did a couple of chores I pulled the cork to let it acclimate to its new environment.

The aroma is sweet and very soft for a 100 proof whiskey. Chores complete it was time for a pour.

The first thing I noticed was I didn't get the high rye bite I expected. I did get the sweet corn from the start and well into the tasting. The finish was surprisingly smokey, especially when it had started so sweet. The mouth feel is decent, not oily not thin. It didn't wow me with complexity. I am wondering about the lack of rye flavor. The jury is still out. I like to give new stuff at least three chances before passing judgement. It may have more flavor with its next run.

Initial thoughts, it's just ok.  it is better than my two recent ventures into Tennessee. Honestly it doesn't have to be too good to best the others! I admit it did grow on me a bit.

2019_03_18_Pennington_s___Davidson_Reserve_5748.5c911878104b9.thumb.jpg.a2c4c65477741424d3a005bbbdf7632b.jpg

Edited by CharlieDog
missspailin

2 hours ago, CharlieDog said:

Picked up this yesterday.

I'm trying really hard to like a Tennessee Whiskey. I do not like JD Black or Dickel #12, but Imma keep trying.

This is a 100 proof sb that states it's at least 4 years old. It is distilled and bottled in Nashville Tennessee from a mashbill of 70% corn 25% rye and 5% barley. It's a very deep golden brown in color. I paid $35.00 and tax/750ml. 

Before I did a couple of chores I pulled the cork to let it acclimate to its new environment.

The aroma is sweet and very soft for a 100 proof whiskey. Chores complete it was time for a pour.

The first thing I noticed was I didn't get the high rye bite I expected. I did get the sweet corn from the start and well into the tasting. The finish was surprisingly smokey, especially when it had started so sweet. The mouth feel is decent, not oily not thin. It didn't wow me with complexity. I am wondering about the lack of rye flavor. The jury is still out. I like to give new stuff at least three chances before passing judgement. It may have more flavor with its next run.

Initial thoughts, it's just ok.  it is better than my two recent ventures into Tennessee. Honestly it doesn't have to be too good to best the others! I admit it did grow on me a bit.

2019_03_18_Pennington_s___Davidson_Reserve_5748.5c911878104b9.thumb.jpg.a2c4c65477741424d3a005bbbdf7632b.jpg

I'm always leery of a post of a new product when it's a first post, doesn't help when the photo is clearly some stock one (also used here https://thewhiskeywash.com/whiskey-styles/american-whiskey/new-tennessee-craft-whiskey-davidson-reserve-is-a-true-tennessee-whiskey/). I'd be interested in knowing how one would pour a glass of something with a still sealed bottle. Any way nice looking bottle....

• I like it 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Back to the topic, I got to try the straight sour mash version in the store a week ago.  I was immediately impressed.  Its flavorful, not harsh or hot, despite being 100 proof.  It was $41 for a fifth, so I grabbed two bottles.  100 proof is my sweet spot, so I spend a lot of time with 90-107 proofers.   I'd say its better than average in that category among the corn-heavy entries.   I might consider it even better, but supply of my favorites is still short, and its been years since I've enjoyed my favorites.  In the meantime, this is a nice, less common whiskey with good merit.  

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.